gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975764 Posts in 138935 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie October 04, 2024, 05:17 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Im learning to weld and need practice
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Im learning to weld and need practice  (Read 517 times)

bmxbob

Im learning to weld and need practice
« on: February 09, 2009, 09:36 PM »
howdy all, i work for network rail.
Offtrack before you start  :LolLolLolLol: vegetation, felling trees, fencing and level crossings etc
i need to be able to weld the metal fencing so have to do a course as with everything on the railway, even need a 1/2 day course to start a generator  :uglystupid2:
anyway the only course they do is a 5 day full welding course so i will  be learning all types of welding  8)
so hopefully will be able to attempt to weld up damaged frames etc
boss says he is buying a welding machine and we can borrow it when not in use at work  ;)

has anyone attempted to do DIY weld repairs ?

anyone want to donate broken, snapped or damaged frames / forks for me to av a go ?
« Last Edit: February 09, 2009, 09:43 PM by bmxbob »

magna13

Re: Im learning to weld and need practice
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2009, 09:41 PM »
My Dad's a top class welder! never seen a shody job from him on his cars, vans and lorry's but we've never bought or had a frame that needs that much of work doing to it so we've never tried... i'm also starting an after school welding course in my GCSE Engineering course :daumenhoch: hopefully i follow in my Dad's footsteps...

bof

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2009, 09:43 PM »
""A welding machine""  All i can say is you have a hell of a lot to learn , have fun and dont forget your suncream.

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2009, 09:45 PM »
if your going to do it ,invest in a tig welder or inverter   ac/dc unit touch start   not scratch
you can weld nice and alloy frames too.

bmxbob

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2009, 09:47 PM »
""A welding machine""  All i can say is you have a hell of a lot to learn , have fun and dont forget your suncream.

yer " a welding machine "

you can tell im a total novice  :2funny:

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2009, 09:50 PM »
i have been a full time welder for over 2o years   apart from at the moment
its a great job and very satisfactory  do it you wont look back,  infact you probably wont see owt as youll get arc eye   :LolLolLolLol:

welsh denny

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2009, 10:32 PM »
i did an evening course in welding and gained my nvq's.  welded lugs on a suelo flatland frame using  a micro plazma welder. the results were great. shame i didn't get on with the frame so it sits under my stairs.

it does give you a sense of achievement when you have used your skills to help in your hobby though.

Offline jT Racing

• BMX Overlord
  • i like bikes. :/
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2009, 10:42 PM »
i guess in 5 days you will cover mig and arc at the most, don't expect to be a tig welder in 5 days.  :LolLolLolLol: mig is a piece of piss, a week of welding and you can do any simple job. They might show you one though. You will love arc eye :( it's like having sand in your eye/eyes that you can never get out and a right fooker. Good luck fella, just enjoy yourself. :daumenhoch:
ding dong

HEYWOOD BMX

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2009, 11:20 PM »
 :) My Mrs used to be a welder,now she looks at frames/parts and picks holes in quality of the workmanship-"Look at the state of the welding,they want how much for it?"

Offline meticulous

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2009, 07:38 AM »
everytime i did welding is was to weld the '17 didget' numbers on the bulk-head of a car..... >:D
R.I.P  O.M. Far short of the finish line...

Offline oberonspacefruit

• BMX Legend
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2009, 10:11 AM »
I DID learn to be a tig welder in 5 days.......lol

mind you, id been up against it, welding a morris traveller fo 18 months with steel like cheesecloth with a 40 quid arc welder .....TIG was a piece of piss in comparison.....
I want to touch ORB

keep it lit!

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2009, 08:26 PM »

buy a beetle or a camper  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline Dark Diggler

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2009, 08:31 PM »
Contact dibly, he has hundreds of frames in thousands of pieces, I am sure he will let you have a go on em   ;D
Whats the matter Kid, don't ya like clowns? Don't we make you laugh? Aint we fukkin funny?

Offline CD17

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2009, 09:30 PM »
I have done two weeks welding back in 85/86 as part of my apprenticeship, I had to do two weeks, bench fitting, milling, turning etc. We only done Gas & Arc but I quite enjoyed it, have not done any since though  :(

I think you will enjoy it  :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Im learning to weld and need practice

gfxgfx
gfx gfx