gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 24, 2024, 05:23 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  Bob Haro Interview...
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Bob Haro Interview...  (Read 1153 times)

johnnyrad

Bob Haro Interview...
« on: January 24, 2009, 03:23 PM »
not massively insightful, but some of you may like...

http://www.inqmnd.ca/site/#Bob-Haro

Offline Flatcap

• Flip-Whip
  • No thank you, Turkish; I'm sweet enough!
  • Rated:
Re: Bob Haro Interview...
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2009, 10:33 PM »
Pretty cool, some excellent photos as well.

Thanks for that dude.

Daz.  :daumenhoch:
Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified in this case by an 'orrible cnut... ME!

jedi

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2009, 10:47 PM »
great pics

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2009, 03:54 PM »
I didn't know he had knee problems.   Good photos  :daumenhoch:

radders

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2009, 06:16 PM »
ACL problems, first did it in around 82, then had another couple of issues before calling it a day in 84. Some people claim he made more of an issue of it, as he was having to spend much more time running the business and didnt have the time to ride.

Great article, cool pictures and the Depeche Mode track is very Haro-esque, he was always a big fan of theirs.

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2009, 08:53 PM »
I didn't realise I had so much in common with him!!

It stopped me riding in 84 too.  Being the cynical bastard that I am, I would agree with those who suggested he made too much of it. As a millionaire, he could have had a lovely knee reconstruction and all the physio he could suffer.  A year out for sure (84 remember), and back in the saddle after that.

Still, maybe running the business made him happy and thats really all that important I suppose   :)

Offline JAY

• Site Supporter
  • Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2009, 09:52 PM »
Brilliant.....thanks for that

radders

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2009, 08:45 AM »
I didn't realise I had so much in common with him!!

It stopped me riding in 84 too.  Being the cynical bastard that I am, I would agree with those who suggested he made too much of it. As a millionaire, he could have had a lovely knee reconstruction and all the physio he could suffer.  A year out for sure (84 remember), and back in the saddle after that.

Still, maybe running the business made him happy and thats really all that important I suppose   :)

I think the issue was that at 25 or so, he saw himself as an old man in a young mans sport and with the likes of Mike Dominguez age 15 getting 8-10ft of air and a new wave of riders coming in, his name could quickly lose its value if his standard of riding went downhill due to having to spend a lot of time running the business and having a dodgy knee. So he bowed out as a legend, rather than as some old has been. He says as much himself in the interview.

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2009, 12:58 AM »
Yeah, valid point I suppose.  I wouldn't really think about Bob Haro the brand.....

Offline generallee

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2009, 09:11 AM »
That was a good read, enjoyed that, especially the factthat Bob is starting to look more and more like Billy Connoly...

streetjudge

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2009, 12:12 PM »
That was a good read, enjoyed that, especially the factthat Bob is starting to look more and more like Billy Connoly...

yes, have you seen the new X-Files film?

dialledbikes

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2009, 12:55 PM »
Didn't realise until recently that Bob will be 51 this year.  That makes him about 10 years older than your average "old schooler".

One of the most (if not THE most) creative guys to grace BMX, in all senses of the word "creative".

Legend.

johnnyrad

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2009, 07:02 PM »
glad you liked this one chaps...

couldn't care less about freestyle me, back in the day...

however,

haro plates and pants really define the era completely.

and hopefully i'll look as young as bob when i'm in my
fifties!

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  Bob Haro Interview...

gfxgfx
gfx gfx