gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 25, 2024, 12:23 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Mid School BMX (>87) 1989 to 2003 (<05)  |  Mid School ( Keep the faith )  |  When I thought I was old, at 34!
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: When I thought I was old, at 34!  (Read 961 times)

laughinggravy

When I thought I was old, at 34!
« on: February 05, 2009, 02:08 PM »
It was my 40th last week, and just found this piece I wrote back in '03, ha ha, the good news is I have LESS pads to carry now since my ACL repair. Silver linings, etc . . .

12 October 2003 14:57:36

I was sat on the deck the other day, apre session, chatting with my mates and ribbing the teenagers still riding, when we computed the collective age on the deck – the three of us almost totalled a century !!!!!!! Not only that, we’d nearly 60 years BMX experience between us …………..so what’s riding at 30 plus like in the 21st century ?

Leaving to ride means getting your (sh)kit together – tools, spares (sessions so infrequent it better not get drawn short ‘cos of repairs), pads/ lid ( body’s hanging, can’t afford time off work), painkillers (variety of old injuries to numb before you can swing a leg over the top-tube).

Trade shows/ contests – you don’t go, riding yourself is so rare you ain’t spending time watching others – plus you rode with half the riders ‘back in the day’ and are all-too-aware how good they are.

Sessions are interupted by adjusting the braces,pads etc. that hold you together, and drinking loads of water because……..

You now sweat like a docker after the sort of mellow session that never used to even raise your heartbeat.

Scepticism – ‘nothing new under the sun’ – parts, videos etc. have to be out of this world to gain your attention.

You get a good laugh out of riders building ‘careers’ from stuff the Dirt Bros. did in the 80’s.

When you visit the Doctor, the file he pulls out on you is thicker than the Argos cataloque.

All true, but you won’t know ‘til you got 20 years + under your belt !!

SaMAlex

Re: When I thought I was old, at 34!
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2009, 02:12 PM »
Thats spot on Tim, nothing changes. Just alter the "30" to "40" and send it off to Ride or Dig.
(You might wanna change the reference to the Dirt Bros, cos I dont think any Ride readers will know who you mean)

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2009, 02:20 PM »
so true tim so so true  and happy birthday young man for last week   :daumenhoch:

Offline generallee

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009, 04:04 PM »
Happy Birthday for last week Tim,
Im 34 at the moment, and feel like most of me is 34 years old, apart from
my wrist, knee, back and ankle which are about 65 years old
my sense of humour which is 11 years old
my taste in music which is stuck in the 60s, 70s and 80s
and my muchyoungerthanme wife who keeps me on my toes.
And my little daughter who has given me the perfect excuse to buy and play with toys again!

Cheers dude.
steve

SaMAlex

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2009, 04:34 PM »
my muchyoungerthanme wife

Show off!  :P    :LolLolLolLol:

Offline lazychubs

• Founding Fathers
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2009, 06:45 PM »

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Mid School BMX (>87) 1989 to 2003 (<05)  |  Mid School ( Keep the faith )  |  When I thought I was old, at 34!

gfxgfx
gfx gfx