gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 17, 2024, 10:00 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  frame legality for oldschool series races
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: frame legality for oldschool series races  (Read 780 times)

nosepickben

frame legality for oldschool series races
« on: February 09, 2009, 03:07 PM »
Please read and give opinions if you race oldschool. thanks. :)

http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php'topic=80231.0

nosepickben

Re: frame legality for oldschool series races
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2009, 03:30 PM »
I ride a robinson but i was asked a couple of times at mk08 why i didn't race the dirtbike that i was pottering about on for the weekend. It does have a 990 brake on which i could easily swap but a frame like that with 990 mounts on just isn't oldschool to me. It was designed for use with 990 brakes and the fact that you could use the drilled brake-bridge from the previous model dirtbike/holmes to mount a single-bolt/caliper brake is just incidental to my mind. I'm gonna get hypothetical here but what if the 990 model frames had no hole in the seatstay bridge? or a different, weaker member that wouldn't support a brake being fixed to it? The frame would no longer qualify without modification. But, they are what they are and if the majority says that the dirtbike/holmes 990 is o/s legal then so be it. Anyone have a 1" holmes for sale....????   :)

SaMAlex

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2009, 03:35 PM »
Anyone have a 1" holmes for sale....????   :)

Look out there, its not just the 1 inch you are looking for if you are talking OS race legal. The Mk1, 2 and 3 Holmes were all 1" but:

Mk3 Holmes frames came with 990 mounts but they were still an option. Most of them have Mounts but Rory has a lovely one that came without them.

Mk2 Holmes frames came with and without. Ive seen both ... but you dont see many of any mk2s really

Mk1 Holmes never came with 990 mounts (I think)

nosepickben

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2009, 09:10 PM »
Thanks for the info alex, i only knew that they (d/b + holmes) were both originally made for calipers, then 990's became an option on both ?1992? sometime.... possibly?.. :)
What year did the challenger come out? The early ones were caliper-only weren't they?

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  frame legality for oldschool series races

gfxgfx
gfx gfx