gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 22, 2024, 05:57 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  crank and chainring set up?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: crank and chainring set up?  (Read 458 times)

mogsta

crank and chainring set up?
« on: January 24, 2009, 03:11 PM »
Can anyone tell me please.
Does the bb spacer on the chain ring side of the crank go inbetween the bb housing and the chain ring or does it go on the outside of the chainring so its visible? I have fitted mine on the outside of the chainring so you can see it. it spins smoothly but i wondered if it matters one way or another. Cheers people for your sound and reliable advice in advance!!

moley

Re: crank and chainring set up?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2009, 03:32 PM »
Do you mean the top hat washer that fits in the Spider or Chainwheel/sprocket to fill in the huge hole in't middle to make it fit the crank?

On a 1 pc crank you can fit them either way because the retaining lock on the sprocket side of the arm is usually long enough to reach the Chainring/spider/sprocket.

Normally the top hat washer is on the inside hidden by the chainwheel/spider but if you can't align the Chainwheel/Sprocket/Spider to the freewheel then you might want it on the outside to move the sprocket/chainwheel/spider closer to the BB to get alignment with the teeth on the freewheel.

Make sure your chainwheel and crank arms clear your frame because they can flex and cause damage to your frame if the clearance is too small.

On 3 pc Cranks the Top hat washer should be placed on the inside (hidden) because the retaining/Sprocket bolt needs to tighten and fix the sprocket/spider to the Drive side crank arm.  If the top hat washer was on the outside then when you tighten the retaining bolt it will pull the sprocket/chainwheel/spider out of alignment towards the crank arm and cause it to go skewed!!

It will then wobble when rotated and could cause the chain to jump off under duress!!  :(

mogsta

Re: crank and chainring set up?
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2009, 05:53 PM »
Mine is a one piece odysey excalibur. It spins a full 360 smoothly with no interference from anything with the spacer on the outside of the chain ring. Not put back wheel on yet so dont know about alignment. how much difference can a few mm make?
Cheers Moley.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  crank and chainring set up?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx