gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975759 Posts in 138934 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 29, 2024, 10:25 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Park, Street & Dirt  |  Hub recommendation
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Hub recommendation  (Read 1397 times)

fuzzywig

Hub recommendation
« on: January 10, 2009, 07:12 PM »
Odyssey Hazard V3 or Union Process cassette?  I can't decide

rarman1

Re: Hub recommendation
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2009, 12:36 AM »
i've been running the ceramic bearing proper hub for the last 8 months.... well worth considering... and very light :daumenhoch:

Offline kev-s

• 900 Air
  • I bought a site tag and my girth increased by 10%
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2009, 04:47 AM »
ive been running a odyessy v2 for a couple of years and  was gonna say go for the proper hub, same price and just as good and lighter too, but trying to find a normal axle one in black is proving to be a nightmare for me :tickedoff: :tickedoff:

fuzzywig

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2009, 09:38 AM »
I was tempted by the Proper hubs but I need larger cog sizes.  I'm riding a Fly Diablo and the brake mounts on the chainstay,  so a 9 tooth is not gonna work. 

The bicycle Union hub looks suspiciously similar to a Coalition cassette?  I can get the old Proper hub with sensible sized drivers, but  I've heard they're not very reliable?  Any further input welcomed.  Cheers!!!

Offline Stodgy

• BMX Overlord
    • RADBMX Shop
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2009, 10:26 AM »
All depends on budget dude.

The Ody hub is very nice and reliable, the Union Process looks good and I suspect an off-the-shelf hub re-branded (as per Proper, Coalition, etc, etc) - doesn't mean they are bad though...quite the opposite...tried and tested.

Also consider the Primo Cassette, a fine hub. Oh and the Macneil and the new Shadow ones too also. But I wouldn't recommend them any more than the Ody.

I run a Proper - seems reliable so far, but I don't ride that hard...

Or, if money no object, the Profile mini hub is the nuts.

Give me a shout at the shop if you want to talk through what is available in the size you require...which is what BTW?

Cheers man

Dave

Jamie C

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2009, 09:18 PM »
I suspect an off-the-shelf hub re-branded (as per Proper, Coalition, etc, etc) - doesn't mean they are bad though...quite the opposite...tried and tested.

Less of. We developed the Proper hub from scratch. Nothing comes "off-the-shelf" in Pagham. Chosen using our design for another company is not a source of great joy. :-X

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2009, 09:50 PM »
My Macneil hubs have been faultless.  Reccommended   :daumenhoch:

dodger

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2009, 10:03 PM »
i would posibly shop secondhand for a profile or a primo mix casset,i use a odsy driver in my in house branded hub and its never missed a beat.

Andy

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2009, 10:06 PM »
i run the ceramic bearing proper hub and cant fault it, much better than the profile hub I had in it before, maybe look at the new gsport hub if your flush depends on what you use it for

rarman1

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2009, 11:17 PM »
i run the ceramic bearing proper hub and cant fault it, much better than the profile hub I had in it before, maybe look at the new gsport hub if your flush depends on what you use it for

ohh yeah Gsport ratchet looks fecking awesome... min 10t driver at the mo.... also around £50 more than proper but you know george builds seriously strong stuff  :daumenhoch:

fuzzywig

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2009, 11:30 PM »
I want a minimum 12t driver and I'm looking at the budget end of things, I don't wanna spend more than £85...   I looked at my brothers' Proper hub today (one of the early ones)  That looks the same as the Bicycle union and coalition hub too,  same axle and driver looks like they just change the hub shell?  If this is true then why are the Proper hubs so much cheaper than the other two,  The proper hub even came with two sets of nuts (alloy and steel)

spicybob

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2009, 02:50 PM »
PROPER all the way!

evamedia

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2009, 03:01 PM »
I've seen the union hub CAD drawings, so they're not off the shelf either

Offline Dark Diggler

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
Whats the matter Kid, don't ya like clowns? Don't we make you laugh? Aint we fukkin funny?

Jamie C

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2009, 08:40 PM »
I want a minimum 12t driver and I'm looking at the budget end of things, I don't wanna spend more than £85...   I looked at my brothers' Proper hub today (one of the early ones)  That looks the same as the Bicycle union and coalition hub too,  same axle and driver looks like they just change the hub shell?  If this is true then why are the Proper hubs so much cheaper than the other two,  The proper hub even came with two sets of nuts (alloy and steel)

Odyssey does a relatively inexpensive cassette that can come with 12t, 13t and 14t cogs. Not sure why Proper hubs are cheaper, I would guess that there is quite a few more sold than Coalition or Union and we push hard on pricing.

Offline Stodgy

• BMX Overlord
    • RADBMX Shop
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2009, 09:20 AM »
Yep, I'm with Jamie C...go the Ody or a Primo if you're after the bigger driver sizes.

Both will last you and look good too.

:daumenhoch:

fuzzywig

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2009, 11:59 AM »
I went for the Bicycle Union hub,  I tried to build the wheel using locally sourced stuff (not that hard with 2 distributors and a good bike shop in town)

Built up as a pair for this one

I think pair is the wrong word :D

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Park, Street & Dirt  |  Hub recommendation

gfxgfx
gfx gfx