gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 22, 2024, 09:52 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Half-link chains question
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Half-link chains question  (Read 627 times)

HEYWOOD BMX

Half-link chains question
« on: January 30, 2009, 09:06 AM »
 :) I recently compared a Gusset half-link chain to a regular chain and aside from the links being a different shape,the size was exactly the same.Is this the same with all half-link chains or just this one?

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
Re: Half-link chains question
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 09:07 AM »
they just bend around a smaller rear cog better.

HEYWOOD BMX

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 09:16 AM »
   OK.  I`m sure one manufacturer advertised them as being able to give more precise adjustability in the rear dropout due to the shorter length,or is that just marketing bull?

Offline se-bmxer

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 09:21 AM »
   OK.  I`m sure one manufacturer advertised them as being able to give more precise adjustability in the rear dropout due to the shorter length,or is that just marketing bull?

no marketing bull there right more precise adjustability, i have them on both 20" and cruiser and are the best chain i've ever brought  :daumenhoch:

HEYWOOD BMX

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009, 09:57 AM »
 :) Not sure if I`m old/confused/cynical... must be just this one brand,`cos I`ve just compared them again and the side plate of each link and the centre to centre of each pin are exactly the same....

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2009, 10:02 AM »
You're old and confused   :LolLolLolLol:

The size between pins must be the same. This is known as the pitch and it must match the sprocket and driver.

The difference is that a regular chain has an inner link, then an outer link and so on. A halflink chain has neither, or both depending on which way you look at it.  So if you want to lengthen or shorten your regular chain you need to add/remove 1.5 links at a time, but with a halflink you just add/remove a single link each time - so better adjustablility   :)

HEYWOOD BMX

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2009, 10:07 AM »
 Cheers,that makes sense. :daumenhoch:

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2009, 10:13 AM »
 :daumenhoch:

motomagII

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2009, 07:21 PM »
two bob to the rescue again was just about to type an explanation too but ya beat me to it lol

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Half-link chains question

gfxgfx
gfx gfx