gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 24, 2024, 12:21 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  CURSE THOSE BLACK RIMS!
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: CURSE THOSE BLACK RIMS!  (Read 622 times)

Timmeh

CURSE THOSE BLACK RIMS!
« on: January 21, 2009, 07:51 AM »
OK guys, I got an '09 Mongoose Mischeif off Santa, but it came with rims from Satan (geddit, you see what I did there..?)  >:D

Ahem.  Anyway, the brakes are poo to say the least, they are set up right and they do 'stop' me but they slip, so they aren't good enough and don't do what it says on the tin.

I was wondering if I could remove the anodising/ lacquer from the braking surface with wet & dry paper or summink like that; if I expose the alloy base metal would that be an improvement? 

Anyone tried similar or have any pearl wisdom necklaces to share?

By the way, there is NO WAY I can afford to buy new wheels as we're expecting our first born in June.

Hope you can offer some guidance to this unable-to-endo radder.   :)

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
Re: CURSE THOSE BLACK RIMS!
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2009, 08:13 AM »
i read somewhere NEVER to do that to the annodised rims...not sure why though but it fooks em and makes em even worse.

what brake bloks are you using?  if they're the stock black ones that came with the bike, try some of the sticky clear ones (the rad shop does em for about £4) they will make things better  :daumenhoch:

Offline Glynnyboy

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2009, 01:29 PM »
Did you do the angleing on the brake block when you 1st set the bike up? What i mean is, you take the brake block and sand it to an ever so slight angle. The lesser part of the angle going in to the rim. They get full even contact on the rim and have their maximum stopping ability.
It does make a difference and also stops any brake judder. On the anodising part, you have to remember that anno is not a coating. The pores of the metal are opened using sulphuric acid basically. The metal is dyed. So the surface your braking on is actually the metal of the rim anyway. Not paint or anything like that.

HEYWOOD BMX

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2009, 02:37 PM »
 :) New brake pads & spending time setting up the brake is probably the cheapest solution.I run black anno`d rims and I have great stopping power!

Timmeh

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2009, 02:41 PM »
Thanks to all.  Reassurance from Heywood BMX was tops~ you hear so many bad things aboot black rims that you dunno who to beleive!

I'll get some new pads from T'shop then later this week.

Cheers again.

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2009, 02:46 PM »
yeah, those clear sticky jobbies are great  :daumenhoch:

motomagII

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2009, 06:17 PM »
yep black rims can get good stopping power setting caliper correctly and a set of good braks pads i tend to go for sticky pads and give em bit sand before use   :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  CURSE THOSE BLACK RIMS!

gfxgfx
gfx gfx