gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975762 Posts in 138935 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie October 01, 2024, 11:09 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Are shipping costs from the USA going up or are ebayers taking the p!ss ?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Are shipping costs from the USA going up or are ebayers taking the p!ss ?  (Read 606 times)

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
Is it just me ? In the past i've shipped frame n fork sets, wheels, even whole survivor bikes over from the states with fairly reasonable postage costs (considering how far they've travelled) that i've been happy to pay..... but...... lately when i ask "How much to ship to the UK ?" I'm getting mad figures back - someone quoted me $200 to ship a frame only (not even with forks)  :uglystupid2:
And some of the full bike prices have been like $400  :shocked:
Are people that reluctant to fill in a customs form ? Fook me they have to pack it even if it's getting shipped in the states.... or..... have shipping costs for large items been raised by the US postal service  :-\
mongoositis - an expensive disease......

Offline Peter J

• BMX Nerd
  • I have issues
    • http://www.sumoservices.com/
  • Rated:
I was looking for a Haro Tech Plate Clip On Number...............wanted to charge £23.43 for shipping  :wtf:
I might actually build a bike this year instead of just hoarding parts :)

jackel

the dollar pound difference is the problem
weak pound means if it was 10 quid before for them to post out
that would equate to 20 dollars
but now 20 dollars is something like 18 quid
thats why costs are going up there not ripping you off

thecrooch

they all take the piss.... if they advertise that they will post internationally just go to them with the info which you can get from the USPS website.  a Frame has always cost me $65-80 no more. i paid about $200 for a complete JMC last year.

Offline pkradman

• Rated:
here here  :daumenhoch:

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:

Trust me mate at $400 to ship a bike they are definately ripping you off.

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:

I think the exchange rate is not the problem it's the amount they are quoting, I was quoted $150 for a pair of bars to go to Australia, USPS International was only $35 so $115 in the old sky rocket as extra profit all for a pair of bars that sold for just over $80 - nice profit if you can get a foreigner mug enough to pay it.

Better to crash and burn than fade away

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:

I think the exchange rate is not the problem it's the amount they are quoting, I was quoted $150 for a pair of bars to go to Australia, USPS International was only $35 so $115 in the old sky rocket as extra profit all for a pair of bars that sold for just over $80 - nice profit if you can get a foreigner mug enough to pay it.

:daumenhoch:

Broggie

I had some idiot quote me $1200 to ship a redline FS880...Yeah right  >:D

Oh and that was long before the exchange rate changed...like by about 2 years  >:D

Ray.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 06:22 AM by Broggie »

Offline jT Racing

• BMX Overlord
  • i like bikes. :/
  • Rated:
there are a few good eggs other there, but the majority seem to think we're all retarded and easily led. They will either say no to international shipping, like they have to bring it themselves :uglystupid2: or that we will automatically rip them off or for just a few, they are so gung-ho USA that they don't want stuff to come over here. Or, they will quote a silly price to either deter you from buying but hoping they can make a killing out of the foreign retards. How often do you see on auctions that they will only send to 48 of the 50 states. Leave them to it and buy elsewhere. Your choice, your money. Can you imagine having an e-bay auction stating postage to engand only, no Scotland wales or Ireland.
ding dong

dialledbikes

Shipping costs in the US are pretty expensive e.g. it costs my US distributor around US$75 to send a frame from North Carolina to California by Fed Ex and that's a 5 day service.

Offline double chevron

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
Heard that before yes Mike, their domestic rates have gone slighty higher recently on big items

International shipping is another debate...
I've been quoted 100$ to send ONE brake caliper to France  :uglystupid2:
In fact, it was more "I don't ship outside 48 states but I can ship to France for 100$"

Ransom ? right !
Retards ? some might think we are...

Once you start to quote them the USPS or whatever rates you can get online, they often become more reasonable..
Although online rates are not always 100% accurates (sometimes depends of the size of the box, L x l x H, not only weight), you get the general idea.

what kills me the most is that some of those sellers turn out to be quite nice people after trying to rip you on postage and being scared to fill in a simple custom form   ::)

dialledbikes

The online rates are really inaccurate.  We got some online quotes to ship a mountain bike frame from US to Australia and all came in around US$200.  When my colleague took it to the shipping office they quoted him almost double!  We eventually found a USPS service which was closer to the online quote.

Offline brass monkey!

• BMX Overlord
  • BRASS MONKEY, JUNKIE, THAT FUNKY MONKEY !
  • Rated:
last frame I got from the US had a ticket for $46 shipping on it, which is what I paid the seller, some US sellers are good, some bad......................

MONKEYBISCUITS RIP !!

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
last frame I got from the US had a ticket for $46 shipping on it, which is what I paid the seller, some US sellers are good, some bad......................

X2 :daumenhoch:
It's just a shame there isn't a little middle ground - if someone sticks a couple of $$ on for packing or taking it to the post office etc. that's fine - it's when you get quoted $200 to ship a frame and you know it's around $50 that you get p!ssed off.
Ah well i guess you can't change some people  :(

Offline jT Racing

• BMX Overlord
  • i like bikes. :/
  • Rated:
some us e-bayers are honest, they have shipping quotes for all countries. others make up a flat rate and put it in the auction. The ones i find are a bit dodgey, is when they won't quote before but say they will ship at actual cost. Now you could be lucky, but i got some tosspot who wanted 75 dollars to ship decals i'd won. i said, do you want me to file the unpaid item on your behalf.
name was somthing somthing decals( :-[ was years ago) I got them off the canadian tosspot zapper eventually. back when he was only a trainee rip off merchant. think he's time served now. :2funny:
ding dong

moley

The Canucks need a good slap!!

This geezer sent my stuff by surface mail and they took 3-4 months!!

They could have sent it priority mail for an extra couple of quid!!

I would've stumped up the readies for it!!  >:(

If its something I have bought before e.g Pedals then I'll ask if they ship to the UK and tell them the price that USPS usually charge for pedals.

They usually agree!!

I have only had one bad seller from the US out of around 100 and that was realtorken!!  :knuppel2:

thecrooch

USPS put their prices up yesterday!!!

Just cost me $29 to mail 1lb of paint powder!

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Are shipping costs from the USA going up or are ebayers taking the p!ss ?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx