gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 19, 2024, 07:06 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Events  |  Old School Series Racing  |  **RACERS PLEASE READ** INPUT REQUIRED FOR THE BRITS
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: **RACERS PLEASE READ** INPUT REQUIRED FOR THE BRITS  (Read 6521 times)

Sanmarcopizza

**RACERS PLEASE READ** INPUT REQUIRED FOR THE BRITS
« on: January 18, 2009, 07:23 PM »
Guys n Dolls,

I have been asked by Roger Wilbraham from the BCF to gain input on what should be the qualification criteria for the old school class in this years Brits. I have already had a chat with a few of the old brigade in the north and have come up with what I personally think is an acceptable situation.

As is the situation for qualification for the Brits, you will need to have competed in 5 out of the 8 rounds in the summer series. I feel that a significant number of rounds should be competed in the old school racing series. Initially I thought it should be all 5, however after discussing this, 3 would seem more sensible for the following reason. There are a number of old schoolers out there who race competitively in other classes, and it would be unfair to restrict people who still keep in with the old school class, but favor an alternative class for most of the season.

This should hopefully prevent any trophy hunting sandbaggers from entering the old school class on the day, but will allow some of the fit guys to do more than one class, if they have supported the OS series.

Well that's my opinion, but I think there are 3 options to consider and comment on all the same.

• 1) No old school specific rounds completed
  • 2) 3 speciific old school rounds completed
  • 2) 5 speciific old school rounds completed

With regards to bike criteria, I think the “Alans” 1" Threaded fork/brake bridge brake criteria is acceptable, with no limit on bike age. As the OS class has become more serious, the bike of choice has evolved into longer mid school bikes, which offer stronger, and more stable rides.

So, over to you guys.

Cheers,

San
« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 07:39 AM by Sanmarcopizza »

keep it lit!

Re: **RACERS PLEASE READ" INPUT REQUIRED FOR THE BRITS
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2009, 07:38 PM »

Criteria; ANY bmx ffs! (o/s, m/s, n/s) rider must be 35 or over  :D

::)

Offline JT Smooth

• Site Supporter
  • Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2009, 07:39 PM »
I would say option 2........

2) 3 speciific old school rounds completed

because 5 races is more than most can do and 3 show's you supported the OS in your region  :daumenhoch:

big kev 40

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2009, 07:51 PM »
3 rounds  what about work commitments

Sanmarcopizza

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2009, 07:58 PM »
Guys, to clarify, you will need to have completed 5 rounds to be able to qualify for the Brits, the question is how many should be specifically in the old school class, if any.

THIRSTYKIRSTY

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2009, 08:01 PM »
hey san mate ,,,,hope your ok

think 3 outta 5 rounds is spot on mate that way the guys that race cruiser aswell can try do both

fit buggas

but yeh 3 old school specific races out of the 5 to qualify for the brits sound good

russ :buck2:

Offline JT Smooth

• Site Supporter
  • Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2009, 08:09 PM »
Guys, to clarify, you will need to have completed 5 rounds to be able to qualify for the Brits, the question is how many should be specifically in the old school class, if any.

R, at least one!! Tho that dont show much support for the OS IMO  ???

Offline billstup

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2009, 08:12 PM »
3 sounds good to me, as I may well do old school at the Brits, whilst doing 40+ as well, and it should stop sand baggers too  :daumenhoch:
I see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,
 Straining upon the start. The game's afoot:
 Follow your spirit, and upon this charge
 Cry 'God for Harry, England, and Saint George!'

Offline Zippy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
Re: **RACERS PLEASE READ** INPUT REQUIRED FOR THE BRITS
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2009, 08:28 PM »
All I'll do then is roll off the gate at three rounds of the old school.  :LolLolLolLol:

big kev 40

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2009, 09:00 PM »
way to go zippy  way around everything

THIRSTYKIRSTY

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2009, 09:03 PM »
si

still a full race though ,,,no half laps then cuttin the track

r :knuppel2: :knuppel2:

kennyhunter6061

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2009, 09:32 PM »
If someone does 5 rounds, riding Oldschool at each round, and they qualify for the Brits, will they be allowed to choose to race Cruiser/Masters as well?  If so, can we really deny riders who qualify for the Brits by riding other classes from riding Oldschool if they want to?  Or will those who qualify for the Brits via Oldschool be restricted to Oldschool only?  I think if we try to apply too many oldschool-only qualifying criteria then the Oldschool runs the risk of being viewed not as a legitimate class, but as a radbmx clique-class, where we only want rad members to take part and no-one else.

If we want the Oldschool to be thought of as a 'proper' class then we need to allow anyone who qualifies for the Brits to take part if they want to.  In reality, I don't think there would be many, if any, who would want to ride oldschool if they weren't already involved.  If the real concerns here are that a lot of the oldschoolers could get blown away and made to look like a load of sad old duffers, then we have to ask ourselves should we really be riding at the Brits at all?

Sorry to be acting as Devil's Advocate, but I think the less rules the better, then we can be viewed as a 'proper' class just like all the others.  If they qualified for the Brits via whatever class, and they're riding an Oldschool legal bike then I say let 'em race.  Those who think they honestly have a chance to win the title might just have to up their game a bit if some of the newschool come aboard (unlikely), and those who are just there for a bit of fun and the banter will still have fun and banter.

We didn't have such protective criteria at MK08 and everyone had an ace time so I see no reason why The Brits should be any different.

Offline JT Smooth

• Site Supporter
  • Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2009, 09:35 PM »
Did'nt know some of that info kenny, see where your coming from  :daumenhoch:

kennyhunter6061

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2009, 10:14 PM »
Just thought a few points needed raising John.  The way I see it, we can't start applying special conditions to the Oldschool class then expect to be treated the same as all the other established classes

moley

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2009, 01:11 AM »
Kenny is right!!

The whole point of trying to get OS recognised was to get to be a serious class at the Brits.

If all the other classes allow you to race 5 rounds and then chose which classes you want to race then it has to be the same for OS.

Men, woman, children................the more the merrier!!

OS should be all inclusive!!

If you have a bike that meets the specs then you should be able to race it!!

Any Sandbaggers will be publicly shamed by entering OS just because they are trophy hounds.

Anyone else will just enter for a laugh!!  :daumenhoch:

If after the Brits, we find the spirit of OS was pissed upon by a load of sandbaggers then maybe we could add some rules to stop the sandbaggers!!

For this year, we should just see how it goes!!  :daumenhoch:

nishiki14

« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2009, 02:01 AM »
If someone does 5 rounds, riding Oldschool at each round, and they qualify for the Brits, will they be allowed to choose to race Cruiser/Masters as well?  If so, can we really deny riders who qualify for the Brits by riding other classes from riding Oldschool if they want to?  Or will those who qualify for the Brits via Oldschool be restricted to Oldschool only?  I think if we try to apply too many oldschool-only qualifying criteria then the Oldschool runs the risk of being viewed not as a legitimate class, but as a radbmx clique-class, where we only want rad members to take part and no-one else.

If we want the Oldschool to be thought of as a 'proper' class then we need to allow anyone who qualifies for the Brits to take part if they want to.  In reality, I don't think there would be many, if any, who would want to ride oldschool if they weren't already involved.  If the real concerns here are that a lot of the oldschoolers could get blown away and made to look like a load of sad old duffers, then we have to ask ourselves should we really be riding at the Brits at all?

Sorry to be acting as Devil's Advocate, but I think the less rules the better, then we can be viewed as a 'proper' class just like all the others.  If they qualified for the Brits via whatever class, and they're riding an Oldschool legal bike then I say let 'em race.  Those who think they honestly have a chance to win the title might just have to up their game a bit if some of the newschool come aboard (unlikely), and those who are just there for a bit of fun and the banter will still have fun and banter.

We didn't have such protective criteria at MK08 and everyone had an ace time so I see no reason why The Brits should be any different.

Dude, you said everything I wanted to..........but the delivery was so much better! :daumenhoch:

moomin

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2009, 03:13 AM »
As far as i am aware Old School has been recognised as a class in it's own right for 2009 and riders will need to satisfy their own regions criteria for qualification.  I think in the South region that may be 5 from 8 rounds but as dates/details have yet to be announced i dont know for sure.

Sanmarcopizza

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2009, 05:34 AM »
A couple of different view points well put. Anyone else ?

kennyhunter6061

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2009, 09:55 AM »
Also bear in mind that there are always some fierce battles between the Regions for points for the title of No.1 Region, so we might just see some sandbaggers entering for what they might view as 'easy points' for their Region.  :(

eloopnai

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2009, 01:30 PM »
gotta agree with kennys earlier post sums it all up in a nut shell  :daumenhoch:

eloopnai

« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2009, 01:34 PM »
as nishiki 14 has mentioned in earlier posts the ea region is struggling to get riders at the mo although i hope this changes in the summer what will happen if only 2 riders turn up we wont be allowed to race will we ? what happens then as we have turned up at the regional ? does this qualify still for brits even though we didnt race ?

hope someone could clarify this plz fellas  :D

moley

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2009, 01:42 PM »
If only 2 people turn up to a regional then you still race!!

They will just stick you into another class that is also short of riders to make a full gate!!

Your points will then be split back into the separate classes!

So there is no excuse not to race!!

Even if there is only 1 OS rider.  You could still race!!  :daumenhoch:

Just hope that they lump you in with the 6 year old girls.  That way you might not look too slow!!

Although if it was me, I'd probably get beat!!  Them pesky kids!!  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline beard1973

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2009, 01:45 PM »
I'll race whatever is required to qualify for the BRITS... I raced them last year and despite crashing out with nikishi in the Semi-Final it was AWESOME!!!  :daumenhoch:

Paulo

« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2009, 07:55 PM »
Some good points well made. Personally we shouldn't be seen as an exception and have different rules.

Having said that no one has said anything about the bike criteria. What's the rationale of not having an age limit on the bike? The initial post said the mid school bikes are stronger and more stable. Doesn't that defeat the object of OS. If there's a genuine safety issue with the pre 1990 bikes then fair enough, but if not, then surely the point is to test your skills using bikes of the era. Not using OS bikes would be like driving a kit car that looks old in the London to Brighton old crocks race.

Offline bmxr

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2009, 11:16 PM »
I've stumbled on this post lookin for the 2009 Brits dates.....in a nutshell:

3 races shows support for OS.

There's only so many uncracked iron-horses around that will take our weight/impact of hookin another set of doubles.

Sand beggars! will face the wrath of the OSers if they make the podium.

The more the merrier...............when's the Brits again?!

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Events  |  Old School Series Racing  |  **RACERS PLEASE READ** INPUT REQUIRED FOR THE BRITS

gfxgfx
gfx gfx