gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975758 Posts in 138934 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 27, 2024, 06:24 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  legends
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: legends  (Read 2423 times)

SEARLE

legends
« on: January 12, 2009, 01:51 PM »
« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 02:39 PM by Bob_Acid »

rudhallrascal

Re: legends
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2009, 04:01 PM »
Great picture ...  :4_17_5:

magna13

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2009, 04:01 PM »
Two of my all time favorites :daumenhoch:

Offline James Nada

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2009, 05:12 PM »
Great picture, I'm guessing it's from '82 or '83.

SEARLE

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2009, 05:47 PM »
                                                              yes 83 ibmxf worlds

kdubbmx

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2009, 07:17 PM »
Stu Gave me that shirt (or one of his others just like it) wish i still had it!!!!!!!!!!!!  >:(

tony williams

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2009, 07:41 PM »
GREG HILL
greg was and still is my number one bmx hero had a GT just like his had a few GHPs again like his own , my oldest son had greg as a middle name after the great one himself what a legend his is

Offline James Nada

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2009, 08:07 PM »
I believe the makers of Joe Kidd On A Stingray have produced a Stu Thomsen movie using loads of his home movies - does anyone have any more info?

Dennis Dain

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2009, 04:09 AM »
I believe the makers of Joe Kidd On A Stingray have produced a Stu Thomsen movie using loads of his home movies - does anyone have any more info?

Yes, I do....

....oh, you want me to tell you? ;)

I spoke to Stu on New Years Eve, he was on a special task force that was to respond to reports of guns being fired in celebration. He survived the night with no situations.  :shocked:  I have so much respect for our law enforcement officers.

...anyway, back to your question, I asked him how the 'Stu documentary' was going. The same guys that did Joe Kid are in fact in charge of this production.  They are working on it as a side job in thier spare time. It is not going as fast as they want it, but it is going forward, and it will be great.

As far as the picture of Greg and Stu go, that is priceless! You guys have NO idea how much history there is, individually and together, with those two. I am blessed to have both of them as my friends, each are only a phone call away, and Stu lives 30 miles east of me and Greg is about 30 miles north of me.  8)

Offline Mattdub

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2009, 11:21 AM »
                                                              yes 83 ibmxf worlds

Very soon after that meet Greg started GHP , August 83  :daumenhoch: . I've a Sept 83 F+F here to restore .

Great pic btw , because of Greg I made my first proper BMX a Santa Ana GT Pro in 82/83 ( Faze 7 custom build ) .
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 11:23 AM by Mattdub »

Offline Brandy Truffle

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2009, 09:55 AM »
Soooooooo Glad Dennis is on board here at RAD  Thanks for the info.  :daumenhoch:  :smitten:

Thanks for the pic as well, i remember that in the mag. Iconic of the era. Two powerhouses sat chatting as mates secretly wanting to blow each other away racing.

Awesome.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 09:57 AM by Brandy Truffle »

gossa

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2009, 08:54 PM »
Ha, that reminded me of something on Gregs back! I got to hold one his Nora Cups before he did!!!! Gregs the man....

Offline HARODAVE

• Rockwalk
  • the artist formerly known as DAVE3172 !!
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2009, 09:42 PM »
BLOODY NORA !!!
With Bacofoil and a Battering Ram !

Dennis Dain

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2009, 03:49 AM »
I was so fortunate to know the 2 of them back when we were just kids. Back in a simpler time when we raced for fun. Before egos. Neither of them would ever admit to having egos. I actually would have to say that they don't have egos, but they are both proud, strong willed, and extreemly competitive.

I think this is the only picture of the 3 of us in one race.

Dennis Dain

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2009, 04:12 AM »
In this picture of me jumping over Greg, what you can't see is the photographer is Stu. ;D

The 3 of us went to a few riding spots that day. At one of the spots there was this simple, lower level, up to a flat landing, jump.
The two of them just kept hitting it over and over trying to outdo the other. Some times it was amazing to just sit back and watch. :shocked:

Offline James Nada

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2009, 09:36 AM »
Dennis,

This is great stuff, thanks.

Please keep it coming!!

Dennis Dain

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2009, 04:38 AM »
I have posted these next 2 photos before, but I'd like to add a different story to go along with them.

I have known Greg since he was about 12. He is probably 14 or so in this first photo. I have no idea what we are talking about here. As you might have noticed I tend to talk a little (ok, maybe I talk alot)  :2funny: I have always been that way. I don't think I would say that I am that guy that never shuts up, but I enjoy a good conversation. Greg was a good kid back then and he usually listened to what I had to say.

Then fast forward 30 years and you can see that we still have that relationship. He developed into a very intense racer as he matured in his dominating career. Now he is a very savy adult with a firm grip on the BMX industry of today. I am very proud of the person he has grown up to be. He is a husband, father, and recently, a grandfather. He wears many hats and he wears them well. I even sat in on one of his training seminars and, let me tell you, he has a BRILLIANT way of teaching every aspect of BMX racing.

Dennis Dain

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2009, 04:47 AM »
If this link will work, you can read what kind of businessman Greg is.

http://www.vintagebmx.com/community/index.php'showtopic=27025320

This is a link to a story on the Vintage site. I do not know if the link works if you are not a member there. If it does not work for anyone here, let me know and I will cut and paste the original post here.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2009, 04:50 AM by Dennis Dain »

Offline Brandy Truffle

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2009, 10:55 AM »
Great info Dennis. Love reading your posts, no matter how minor the info is you can be assured us RADsters will always be interested in hearing/seeing about  the rich history you have been involved in.

By the way, did you ever think about a martial arts as an alternative?

As a black belt in Tae-Kwon-Do i can tell you that looks a pretty mean move you're pulling off there!  ;D

Looks like you've just chopped someone and Gregs looking at the floored victim!!

Dennis Dain

« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2009, 04:44 PM »
Looks like you've just chopped someone and Gregs looking at the floored victim!!

We have used that photo before and had people make up captions for it. Your comment above is very original and I almost spewed my breatfast milk on my computed screen with laughter!  :2funny:

us RADsters will always be interested in hearing/seeing about  the rich history you have been involved in.

You are a captive audience, I understand your winters are dreary over there. Besides, if you guys are anything like me, you are easily entertained. ;)  But seriously though, I enjoy sharing my "rich history" on this site. Everybody here seems truely interested and there are no egos here to deal with. I like hanging out here.

Thanks for having me...
« Last Edit: January 17, 2009, 04:50 PM by Dennis Dain »

SEARLE

« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2009, 06:32 PM »

We have used that photo before and had people make up captions for it. Your comment above is very original and I almost spewed my breatfast milk on my computed screen with laughter!  :2funny:

us RADsters will always be interested in hearing/seeing about  the rich history you have been involved in.

You are a captive audience, I understand your winters are dreary over there. Besides, if you guys are anything like me, you are easily entertained. ;)  But seriously though, I enjoy sharing my "rich history" on this site. Everybody here seems truely interested and there are no egos here to deal with. I like hanging out here.

Thanks for having me...
      hi dennis,do u think greg and stu would be interested in joining this site? all three of you.wow

gossa

« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2009, 07:19 PM »
Can you imagine if we saw Stu or Gregs status as online? We'd be timid as door mouses!

Dennis Dain

« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2009, 05:24 AM »
I believe Stu is a member here. I don't know how often, or if, he checks in. He is a fairly busy guy. He works the night shift as an Orange County Sheriff officer, and I am sure his days go by too fast. There are times when we don't hear from him for long periods of times on our own site. Every couple of weeks or so we will text message each other, but other than that, life goes on.

As for Greg, between the usual family man stuff, his training seminars, running GHP, and he is half of the main force behind BMXActiononline. His plate is full. ;)

Sorry guys, but you are stuck with me. :smiley6600:

KGB Matt

« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2009, 03:42 PM »

Sorry guys, but you are stuck with me. :smiley6600:

Well thats not a bad thing .
 :daumenhoch:
Matt

Dennis Dain

« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2009, 04:03 AM »
This was taken at our 'Legends' reunion back in 07. Man, have come a long way. ;D

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  legends

gfxgfx
gfx gfx