gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975758 Posts in 138934 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 27, 2024, 02:23 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Running a single cable with dual cable routing
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Running a single cable with dual cable routing  (Read 1105 times)

mamadirt

Running a single cable with dual cable routing
« on: January 09, 2009, 05:17 PM »
Apologies for the daft question but my recently acquired S&M Sabbath has dual cable guides under the toptube (a la London mod) but I've never been a fan of gyros so would prefer to run just a single cable (sacrilage maybe  :shocked: but it's gonna be a rider and I don't see myself bar-spinnin anytime soon).  Now I know i could use just one of the guides but isn't that gonna make things run a little off centre? 

Offline Rombloke

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • do one
  • Rated:
Re: Running a single cable with dual cable routing
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2009, 06:57 PM »
cable ties

Dave
haro, how do you do

mamadirt

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2009, 07:10 PM »
Yeah but I have a dual cable stop (sorry, wasn't quite clear up there) so running a single cable to just the one side will run things a little off centre.

bof

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2009, 07:22 PM »
if possible drill a hole in the middle . A hole just big enough to fit the inner cable through  :)

Offline James Nada

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2009, 07:47 PM »
You could run a caliper brake (assuming you are able to drill a hole in a suitable position to mount it) (and assuming you don't mind loosing some stopping power).

mamadirt

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2009, 08:06 PM »
I guess so but I already have a nice new silver AD990 and my reasoning behind wanting to run a straight cable is down to prevous experience with mushy gyro brakes.  Drilling a hole would be more of a crime on an NOS frame than leaving off the gyro I reckon  ;) - not a lot of room for error either.  Just found this on the search which may possibly work but I may just have to put aside my gyro prejudice run it as nature intended.  Watch this space . . . 

bof

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2009, 09:54 PM »
you could run 2 cables from one of these I think
http://www.allterraincycles.co.uk/product/111100.html

mamadirt

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2009, 11:07 PM »
I had wondered if one of those would work, or whether I'd need to use the Odyssey gyro modulever cables with it (in which case I guess they'd be too short).  Worth a look though anyway.  Cheers!

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2009, 11:40 PM »
Make the straddle as long as is possible and it may work with a single cable.  The long straddle will lessen the offset a bit.  How may cable guides do you have, just a pair side by side, or two pairs?

mamadirt

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2009, 08:41 AM »
Just one pair, side by side, about halfway along the underside of the toptube.  Like you say, a long straddle cable and spring adjustment may help - thanks.

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2009, 12:55 AM »
Yeah, set your AD up very wide too and hopefully the straddle won't rub on the seat tube at all - jobs a goodun!   :)

mamadirt

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2009, 09:36 PM »
Thanks Rob - looks like it's all good . . .

Doesn't seem to pull off centre at all and has plenty of clearance around the seat tube.

Few more pics here . . . very work in progress at the mo (quick build with parts nicked from my son's bike) but feels pretty good so far.

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2009, 09:40 PM »
Sweet.

The other thing you can do is treat yourself to a posh straddle hanger.  They're always a bit wider than the cheapo one that comes with the brake. That would help with clearing the seattube too   :)

mamadirt

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2009, 10:52 PM »
Good idea - thanks  :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Running a single cable with dual cable routing

gfxgfx
gfx gfx