gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 22, 2024, 11:23 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  Stu Thomsen - Is on RADBMX !!!!
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Stu Thomsen - Is on RADBMX !!!!  (Read 2179 times)

Offline brass monkey!

• BMX Overlord
  • BRASS MONKEY, JUNKIE, THAT FUNKY MONKEY !
  • Rated:
Stu Thomsen - Is on RADBMX !!!!
« on: September 27, 2006, 11:18 AM »
I saw this posted on VBMX ! (just visiting, LOL !!) - I've added these comments as 'quotes' rather than send the link cos I know many of us are banned ! LOL !!

Seems like poor old Stu Thomsen has had a bit of a bad time recently, and has recently had an op. after being diagnosed with Prostrate Cancer, but thankfully he is now recovering !

I sent him a PM, saying good luck with his recovery from all at RADBMX, and sent him the weblink !! Lets see if he's up for joining us for some good old British banter !?

What a legend !  :4_17_5:

A couple of Stu Thomsen's posts from his recent thread are below.....

My dear friends and family of the BMX world. On August 21st, 2006, I will be entering a new chapter in my life. On May 24th, four days after my 48th birthday, it was confirmed I have prostate cancer. On the 21st I will be undergoing a robot assisted laparoscopic surgery (De Vinci) to remove the cancerous prostate. After its removal there is a 90% cure rate. Some of you may have a father, brother or relative who has or had prostate cancer. This disease is hereditary. I urge all of you, males over forty, to be screened for prostate cancer, as it affects 1 in 4 and yearly thousands die from it. I am in good spirits today and know that I will beat it. My father had prostate cancer when he was 67, now at 87, he is as feisty as every. To this day his still works 3 to 4 days a week for his engineering firm. I have a few personal goals I have set my sights on and some include racing again. Thoughts of jumping doubles will never leave my mind. Thank you for supporting me has a BMX racer in the past and as an icon to this great sport. Learn more go to www.prostatecancerfoundation.org

Please keep me in your thought and prayers.

Stu

Here's the skinny. Catheter came out 7 days post op. Have full bladder control (no leaking, drip-drip ) Was jogging on the treadmill at day 9 and had sexual functions back on day 13 (not 18years old anymore, but it works ). Still a little sore to sit on a bike seat. However a big comfy seat was put on my exercise bike. Cleared to go back to work w/o restrictions on 9/21 only four weeks post op. I feel great but life is changed. Will be going on a three day backpacking trip in the sierras this coming weekend. Will start riding in three weeks. Need the incision ports in the stomach to heal all the way, don't want a hernia. I want to thank each of you and hope you get a prostate check-up.

Can't get rid of me that easy,

Stu

:)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2009, 11:17 AM by monkeybiscuits! »
MONKEYBISCUITS RIP !!

Offline RATTY

• Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
Re: Stu Thomsen
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2006, 12:12 PM »
Hope you do read this Stu, I met you at Earls court in London 1981, you are a true gentleman and a superstar, Your riding was second to none and an inspiration to 1000s. I hope you make a full recovery and make those doubles soon.

All the best

Tony
A long time ago, in a land far away!

Bren Gunn

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2006, 01:31 PM »

:4_17_5:

Offline Nosnod

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2006, 02:26 PM »
All the best Stu - you are one of BMX's true icons  8)

DR VINOAH

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2006, 03:13 PM »
praying for you

stompin stu :4_17_5:

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2006, 09:00 PM »
Like Tony (Ratty), I met you at Earls Court all those years ago and still have the autographed photo card you gave me.  You were an inspiration to all us young BMX riders, not only could you race, but you could ride skateparks and jump like few others could.  I wish you well in your recovery and hope it's speedy and long lasting.

Cool pic jumping the 911's  :daumenhoch:

Better to crash and burn than fade away

Offline jT Racing

• BMX Overlord
  • i like bikes. :/
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2006, 09:21 PM »
get well soon stu. :daumenhoch:
ding dong

Offline billstup

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2006, 09:22 PM »

These were taken by Crazy Pat, all the best Stu  :daumenhoch:

I see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,
 Straining upon the start. The game's afoot:
 Follow your spirit, and upon this charge
 Cry 'God for Harry, England, and Saint George!'

stompnstu

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2006, 05:32 AM »
Well here I am. I want to thank each and every one of you. If it was not for you I would have just been another BMX rider. I am glad I was able to do the things I did on a bike and am glad I found this sport. It will always be a part of me and will be back at a couple races next year. It's in my blood and I want to show that at know matter what age you can have fun. Heres to you guys over the pond. Have a good stout ale for me.

Stu

stompnstu

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2006, 05:41 AM »
Just a little quite time before going back to work.

se

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2006, 07:07 AM »
Very pleased to hear the recovery is going well, what a relief that must be. Good advice on getting checked out too - I'm sure I am not the only person who does all he can to avoid a trip to the doctor.

Offline tricknuts

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2006, 07:16 AM »
Good to hear you are on the road to recovery Stu. A true BMX legend, our very own lance Armstrong. Best wishes  :4_17_5:
"I've never stopped riding badly....and I never will"

Offline Mattdub

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2006, 08:51 AM »
Welcome Stu ,

Great to see you over here at RAD and fantastic news that the recovery is going well  :4_17_5: .

Your battles with Greg Hill in the early 80's were stuff of legend  :daumenhoch: .

Matt

Offline brass monkey!

• BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2006, 09:21 AM »
Hey Stu,
Thanks for joing us !! And thanks for the email you sent me ! Gave me a big smile when I got to work this morning !  :)

Some cool pics there too ! Good luck with your recovery & look forward to chatting on RAD from time to time  :)

Matt aka The Essex Boy  :daumenhoch:
MONKEYBISCUITS RIP !!

darren

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2006, 10:20 AM »
good to hear your on the mend stu, you were and still are an inspiration to many .
be cool to see you back out racing, will you be showing mr rupe how its done???  ;)

Offline dirtyvans

• BMX Nerd
    • Energy Flash Records
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2006, 01:19 PM »
nice1 stu :)

glad your on the mend, nice to hear how the first generaton of bmx legends are getting on 8)

keep us upto date of ya future doings!

gmac

« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2006, 01:41 PM »
Just to echo what everyone else has already said Stu - Sorry to hear you've been through the ringer, but great to hear you're on the mend. Here's to a speedy recovery  :daumenhoch:

piper

« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2006, 02:43 PM »

Good to here things are going better Stu,doesn`t matter what we achieve in life its never bigger than life itself :daumenhoch:

69ner

« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2006, 03:54 PM »
my thoughts are with you stu, :wtf: is that sign you are 11000ft up and they expect you to carry your own" fridge "up(refrigirator to you)?

Offline brass monkey!

• BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2006, 08:07 PM »
look forward to see you back online soon !

do you still have any of your oldschool rides from BITD ??
MONKEYBISCUITS RIP !!

oldmankev

« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2006, 10:26 PM »
Stu was my hero as well, i still got a signed piccy a
bit faded after 24 years. All the best with your
recovery big fella, love to be on the gate with you
in 40+.

Offline brass monkey!

• BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
Re: Stu Thomsen - Is on RADBMX !!!!
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2009, 11:18 AM »
this needs lifiting TTT !!

welcome online Stu !!  :4_17_5:

how are you now mate? Hopefully recovered from the op..... :)

Back racing then?
MONKEYBISCUITS RIP !!

sweetbeats

Re: Stu Thomsen - Is on RADBMX !!!!
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2009, 05:22 PM »
Stu Rocks  :daumenhoch:
Keep Stompin Dude  ;)

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  Stu Thomsen - Is on RADBMX !!!!

gfxgfx
gfx gfx