gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 23, 2024, 12:28 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  3 piece crank v 1 piece
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: 3 piece crank v 1 piece  (Read 910 times)

Mr Nice

3 piece crank v 1 piece
« on: January 01, 2009, 06:59 PM »
whats best and why?

Offline CD17

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
Re: 3 piece crank v 1 piece
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2009, 07:04 PM »
For riding or show  ???

I think 3pc are best for both, look loads better & are stronger  8)

Offline meticulous

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2009, 07:05 PM »
depends what for, i think 3 piece look better and may be slightly stronger, and are much more expensive, but its for show bike then a one piece can be just as effective if done correctly...
R.I.P  O.M. Far short of the finish line...

Mr Nice

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2009, 07:07 PM »
For riding or show  ???

I think 3pc are best for both, look loads better & are stronger  8)

For racing

Offline meticulous

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2009, 07:13 PM »
then a good 3 piece will be slightly better,but stay away from the surgino o/s cranks, i used to bend the bottom brackets spindle for fun, and always reverted back to a 1 piece...

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2009, 07:59 PM »
What he said   :)

Offline jT Racing

• BMX Overlord
  • i like bikes. :/
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2009, 04:55 PM »
then a good 3 piece will be slightly better,but stay away from the surgino o/s cranks, i used to bend the bottom brackets spindle for fun, and always reverted back to a 1 piece...

:shocked:
what are you? 30 stone.
never ever had a problem with a sugino crank. maxy cross was pretty strong. I'd like to see one of these bent spindles.
ding dong

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2009, 04:58 PM »
if you mash a part or bend a piece its easier to change on a 3 piece
with a 1 you got to rip the lot out.

Voodoocars

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2009, 05:37 PM »
I run Primo hollowbites now but bitd my mate had those diamondback cranks that are like macneils twin tube things now and he cracked those. I had a sugino alloy 3pc that was just rubbish and wouldnt stay tight on the spindle.So I tried different 1 pc cranks that bent and in the end put a 1 pc off a burner- dont know what model- and had no trouble at all apart from having to tighten the bearings all the time.Heavy tho'.Although weight wasnt an issue all those years ago...  Depends what you want the bike for and how much you want to spend I guess.

Offline meticulous

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2009, 05:55 PM »

:shocked:
what are you? 30 stone.
never ever had a problem with a sugino crank. maxy cross was pretty strong. I'd like to see one of these bent spindles.

i tried 3 piece in 1982/83, partly cos' they looked much better, and bent 2 spindles in a month, so went back to one piece (as i couldnt afford flites), maybe had a bad batch, dont know, but i was alright with a one piece

of course 3 piece cranks like this are much stronger and have no flex at all, but he didnt say what he is doing with his bike at first... ;)

i will be sellin these soon anyhow, if anyones interested... :daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 05:57 PM by meticus »

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2009, 07:09 AM »
I run Primo hollowbites now but bitd my mate had those diamondback cranks that are like macneils twin tube things now and he cracked those. I had a sugino alloy 3pc that was just rubbish and wouldnt stay tight on the spindle.So I tried different 1 pc cranks that bent and in the end put a 1 pc off a burner- dont know what model- and had no trouble at all apart from having to tighten the bearings all the time.Heavy tho'.Although weight wasnt an issue all those years ago...  Depends what you want the bike for and how much you want to spend I guess.

i maybe wrong but all Burner 1 piece cranks were Sugino...i can remember mine like it was yesterday as i had to regreese the bearings every bloomin week!  :LolLolLolLol:

personally though i prefer the look and feel of 3 piece  :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  3 piece crank v 1 piece

gfxgfx
gfx gfx