gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 24, 2024, 03:25 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  Nu School anyone?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Nu School anyone?  (Read 3822 times)

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
Re: Nu School anyone?
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2008, 12:26 PM »
i can't see the picture at work.....but that is just in Joe's oppinion  :daumenhoch:

oh and i'm guessing it's a standard?

telelogic

« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2008, 02:14 PM »
I'd just like to add at this point,

I was pretty crap BITD!

I was all kick turns and front hops.

I'm never going to be throwing myself at three flights of stairs!

I just want something reliable and solid (but not too heavy) to take to the local park that has some trick ramps (YES STILL!) and a mini non vert half pipe thing.

If I ever muster up the bottle to hit a real half pipe I'll be amazed!

Just so you didn't think I was looking to become the next...... whoever is good these days.

I also don't think I could live without a coaster brake, so I guess that counts out all but a retro?

JT71

« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2008, 03:01 PM »
I would avoid those retro bikes, if you want old school get really old, not pretend old.

if you wanna ride, and i was no good back in the day, so some things never change, get a new school bike. a proper one, not some trendy retro thing, get a bike that will ride nice, look good and take a hammering.

but not raw, raw is soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo last year.

(only kidding Joe, think your bike is sweet)

as for what bike, everyone here will think the bike they have is the bike you should get just about, so try to get to a skate park with some radsters and try their bikes. if you're ever up at corby on a Tuesday night you can try mine.

It's a Colony and is,without exception,the best bike on this or any other bmx forum. FACT.  :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol:
it has a longer seat post and bigger bars now, but here it is.

sweetbeats

« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2008, 03:18 PM »
Unfortunately almost everyone makes the mistake of getting an old school bike on there return to bmx, if your serious about riding bikes as opposed to collecting them you will end up with a new school as theres no comparison.

I built my first build a few months ago a gen2 master It was going to be showy/dust collector/ornament/loft warmer etc but the urge to get back on a bike and do old tricks got the better of me...I know it should be an ornament and a very expensive one at that, but I am only on the planet once and I may as well enjoy the bike as it was intended...if it breaks I am not even slightly bothered as I can't take it with me.

New school just don't float my boat,the look,the clothes and the blandness of the bikes(that is not a snipe just my opinion)...I have seen 1 mid school bike I like and that was Harris Tasty Hoff but that aint cheap either so I am going to ride,fall off get back up and not worry too much if my ornament falls off the mantlepiece and ends up in a heap.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 03:20 PM by sweetbeats »

sweetbeats

« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2008, 03:24 PM »
That looks tiny JT..Does that have a seat post or just a seat  ???
Also can it be ridden like that say errrrrr to the shops or something?

JT71

« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2008, 03:26 PM »
seat and post have gone now, it has a sensible seat and post that i can actually sit on.  :daumenhoch:

it's actually a reasonably long frame, but quite low at the seat stay/seat tube/top tube join.

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2008, 03:27 PM »
Rustle up £250 or so, and go and see Stodgy.  By yourself a complete newschool bike based on his and our advise.  Something mid or lower range, but with the right brakes on it.

Don't think too hard about it, from the choices he gives you, buy the one you think is the prettiest.

Failing that, pm Stevie B, give him your money and he'll build you something suitable from scratch.

Then check out the Members Event section on here, and come along to one of the sessions. You will be welcomed with open arms, you will go home sore and bruised  (hopefully just from the riding....)  Job's a good un!    :daumenhoch:

If you fall back in love again,  you'll upgrade that bike as you go. If you don't it'll sell her and you won't loose a fortune.   ;)

sweetbeats

« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2008, 03:28 PM »
Who's the guy on here that "rides" a gen1 is it bettyswallocks think he has zrims on it might be wrong?
Well it was partly his fault I decided to ride the gen2.

sweetbeats

« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2008, 03:30 PM »
seat and post have gone now, it has a sensible seat and post that i can actually sit on.  :daumenhoch:

it's actually a reasonably long frame, but quite low at the seat stay/seat tube/top tube join.

Cool was looking and thinking ::)spot the post :LolLolLolLol:

Bettyswallocks

« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2008, 03:50 PM »
Who's the guy on here that "rides" a gen1 is it bettyswallocks think he has zrims on it might be wrong?
Well it was partly his fault I decided to ride the gen2.

Yep that would be me dude, it only gets an occasional outing, i've an S&M LTF as my rider...

I have to admit the gen1 is pants to ride in comparison

As said several times on this thread, give a new school bike a try... you wont be dissapointed...  :daumenhoch:

sweetbeats

« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2008, 03:55 PM »
Nah...I am only doing basic stuff,rockwalks,kickturns etc so no need for new school...possibly got spare room for another rider a nice usa trickstar in dominguez blue and possibly a torker 81 cruiser for shopping and garage runs..I just don't feel the heritage with new stuff...when I stick my vans on and blast out on the master I feel like I am in 1984 and it feels just right :)

Don't get me wrong I love watching new school vids like harry main and see the progression since the early days but I just like the feeling,the look and all that come with riding an old bike.

ps I do like the LTF framesets they done one in a tarnished gold colour a while ago that moved me a little bit.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 03:59 PM by sweetbeats »

lodge

« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2008, 05:32 PM »
Ah fook it heres my only bmx!

telelogic

« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2008, 10:22 PM »
I have to say, I'm surprised!

there are some lovely looking retro's in the rad museum, but very few of you have anything nice to say about them.

Q: Can the free-coaster hubs be converted to a full coaster brake? I know you can do it the other way round.

The coaster brake issue is the only reason my mind is not yet made up.

I don't mind having a freewheel or free-coaster as an option, But I also have to be able to use my coaster brake tuffs.

I think the small front sprockets may prohibit me from doing this.

Offline bigfatolly

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2008, 10:53 PM »
word up to sweetbeats :daumenhoch:
when my first build is finished i plan to ride it not look at it and if bits scratch and get worn so what?
i cannot understand museum piece bikes the same as i cannot get my head around someone who buys oldschool trainers or trackie tops and then dont wear them.
having said that i can see the sense in getting a cheapish new schooler if you are going to ride seriously.

telelogic

« Reply #39 on: December 30, 2008, 11:17 PM »
I plan to ride comically ;D

sweetbeats

« Reply #40 on: December 31, 2008, 11:17 AM »
word up to sweetbeats :daumenhoch:
when my first build is finished i plan to ride it not look at it and if bits scratch and get worn so what?
i cannot understand museum piece bikes the same as i cannot get my head around someone who buys oldschool trainers or trackie tops and then dont wear them.
having said that i can see the sense in getting a cheapish new schooler if you are going to ride seriously.

Cheers Olly...Yeah If I was doing ten foot ariels then a new school would probably be a better option but for the stuff I am doing I can't really see me busting the bike anyday soon ;)
What you building?
Pics pleeeze :daumenhoch:

T WILD

« Reply #41 on: December 31, 2008, 03:51 PM »
Have you thought about a midschool? parts are cheaper and they work. Ive got a bully bashguard with acs boas on and they work as well as the u brakes on my other bike which has pitchforks and a brake plate and are 1" threaded and can be bolted to anything. the possibilities are endless if you mix it up a bit 

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #42 on: December 31, 2008, 03:54 PM »
I have to say, I'm surprised!

there are some lovely looking retro's in the rad museum, but very few of you have anything nice to say about them.

Q: Can the free-coaster hubs be converted to a full coaster brake? I know you can do it the other way round.

The coaster brake issue is the only reason my mind is not yet made up.

I don't mind having a freewheel or free-coaster as an option, But I also have to be able to use my coaster brake tuffs.

I think the small front sprockets may prohibit me from doing this.

If you're absolutely dead set on running a coaster brake, then you'll have to stick to old school sized gearing so far as I'm aware.  I don't know of a modern full coaster with micro gearing.

Better still, don't worry about it. I always ran a coaster bitd, but have not felt the need since. I can still nick a 540 kickturn without one these days....

If you're really only interested in kickturns and rollbacks, you might as well ride an oldschool bike anyhow, and simply not bother buying into the newschool thing at all   :)

SaMAlex

« Reply #43 on: December 31, 2008, 04:02 PM »
my bike is totally new ... new school even, but I have a front brake, a good few inches of seat post showing and even a big padded seat. Last night I was riding at Corby and some (late 20ish) lad came up and said "hey, check out that old school set up". I said "f**koff, its brand new". I pointed out the hidden headset, mid BB and microdrive and asked him just how old it could be. He had a closer look as saw that is a new bike. I then told him that "it just looks old cos Ive got it built like a Cnut"!

The final funny was he then asked me if I remembered the "old school S&Ms". I nodded, but didnt answer.

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #44 on: December 31, 2008, 04:06 PM »
The final funny was he then asked me if I remembered the "old school S&Ms". I nodded, but didnt answer.

Juat as he said the 'M' of S&M, you should have just bitch slapped him. Open hand, full force - SSSLLLAAAAAAAAAAAAAPPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!    :LolLolLolLol:

telelogic

« Reply #45 on: December 31, 2008, 05:55 PM »
well,

I have my performer,

and I think I'm gonna go ahead and buy a retro quad F&F and build it up sexy :daumenhoch:
this way I'll have the strength of a new school, but still be able to use my coaster when I get the urge.
who knows, I might enjoy the freewheel so much that I just use the GT for the coaster stuff.

I can always go for a full new school setup further down the road :)

cheers all,

J.

Offline CD17

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #46 on: December 31, 2008, 06:30 PM »
I used to run a Coaster BITD & my New Skool has a Freecoaster, the thing is the brakes on a New Skool do actually work, so you don't really need a Coaster Brake & the Frecoaster allows you to roll back  :daumenhoch:

I still have a collection of Old Skool, but I tried riding them in a park & they are crap compared to New Skool  :-\

Anyway you have come to the right place  :daumenhoch:

SaMAlex

« Reply #47 on: December 31, 2008, 07:57 PM »
I found a picture of my bike. Every bit of it is "New School" current stock but its pretty much set up the same as every bike Ive ridden for the last 15 years, only its a bit lighter than most of the others.

Get your seat posts out lads!!!  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline QUADROPHENIA

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #48 on: December 31, 2008, 08:09 PM »

blimey have you brought some new grips alex ?

Offline CD17

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #49 on: December 31, 2008, 08:15 PM »
I like the look of that post Alex  8)

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  Nu School anyone?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx