gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 24, 2024, 03:20 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  Nu School anyone?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Nu School anyone?  (Read 3821 times)

telelogic

Nu School anyone?
« on: December 30, 2008, 09:46 AM »
ok fella's,

Just about finishing my first old school build. (85 pro performer)
during the re-learning/remembering/acquiring  process I've obviously seen a few new school rides.
My question to all you fellow old schoolers is this.

do any of you have a new school bike among your collections?
do you use a new school bike as your main rider?
do you find the new school bikes easier to ride?

My intention when I started my build was, build the bike, and ride the bike! that hasn't changed.
However, the more I see, and learn, about the new schoolers the more it seems to make sense that I should also have one of these.
The components are obviously of a much higher quality, better thought out, and available whenever I need them,

I was repelled by the look of the new bikes when I first returned to the scene, (still think the saddle way down low looks daft) (If you're not going to use it TAKE IT OFF!)
but the new school retros, such as the SE quad, ripper, and I'm sure countless others to follow, have started to look very attractive.
Given this, my next question to you is,

Do the retros' ride like the newer bikes?
Or are they just some lame compromise between the two?

OK, I'll leave you alone now, but I would love to hear what you guys have to say before I go and make some horrible mistake.

All the best in the coming year.

J.

« Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 09:50 AM by telelogic »

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
Re: Nu School anyone?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2008, 09:51 AM »
new school all the way as a rider unless its just a bimble in the summer to the pub
the se new range will do you just fine ,much better components .

darkersomeday

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2008, 09:53 AM »
ok fella's,

Just about finishing my first old school build. (85 pro performer)
during the re-learning/remembering/acquiring  process I've obviously seen a few new school rides.
My question to all you fellow old schoolers is this.

do any of you have a new school bike among your collections?
do you use a new school bike as your main rider?
do you find the new school bikes easier to ride?

My intention when I started my build was, build the bike, and ride the bike! that hasn't changed.
However, the more I see, and learn, about the new schoolers the more it seems to make sense that I should also have one of these.
The components are obviously of a much higher quality, better thought out, and available whenever I need them,

I was repelled by the look of the new bikes when I first returned to the scene, (still think the saddle way down low looks daft) (If you're not going to use it TAKE IT OFF!)
but the new school retros, such as the SE quad, ripper, and I'm sure countless others to follow, have started to look very attractive.
Given this, my next question to you is,

Do the retros' ride like the newer bikes?
Or are they just some lame compromise between the two?

OK, I'll leave you alone now, but I would love to hear what you guys have to say before I go and make some horrible mistake.

All the best in the coming year.

J.

tbh mate, i'd stick with the model train collecting :daumenhoch:

telelogic

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2008, 09:55 AM »
But I Hate trains :knuppel2:

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2008, 10:06 AM »
go see stodgy in the rad shop on the best deals youll find on retro .

imo old school bikes aint good to ride they are only gonna bust
show them yes   charity events yes and racing on the odd occasion.
but as a main ride NO they lasted 25 years why fook em up now with fat bums astride.

Offline Dex Dexter

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2008, 10:11 AM »
My first bike when I got back into it was a Retro Quad and I loved it.  Still do.

I love the way they look and the way they ride has helped me get back into it easily and still ride something of a talking point.

Word of warning - old school or retro - you'll be so sick of telling kids what it is you may as well get a T shirt printed up to save your voice.

I've just got one of the Retro Ripper bargains off Stodgy in the Rad shop.  ABSOLUTELY love it - more than the quad I think and a mega bargain.

Go and get one now before he sells out!!!

:daumenhoch:

telelogic

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2008, 10:15 AM »
just out of interest, what size are the dropouts on the retro SE's?

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2008, 10:15 AM »
when you say ride it.......what sort of riding are you talking about?  to the shops for the milk?  proper street or park riding?  if so don't bother with the Retro builds....get a proper NS BMX....yes talk to Stodgy as he'll have some great completes for you.  

if it's racing then maybe the retro Ripper will be okay (i'm not an expert on the racing bikes) but for park or street......get a proper BMX which will let you ride it and have a great time  :daumenhoch:

OS = look at and cruise
NS = Ride and have a blast!

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2008, 10:19 AM »
you could go mid school with some new parts keeping the older feel as they wouldnt bust even stronger than alot of new school
just a tad heavier   :shocked:

telelogic

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2008, 10:19 AM »
when you say ride it.......what sort of riding are you talking about?  to the shops for the milk?  proper street or park riding?  if so don't bother with the Retro builds....get a proper NS BMX....yes talk to Stodgy as he'll have some great completes for you.  

if it's racing then maybe the retro Ripper will be okay (i'm not an expert on the racing bikes) but for park or street......get a proper BMX which will let you ride it and have a great time  :daumenhoch:

OS = look at and cruise

Well to start with I just want to get back to where I was 25 years ago!

that my be tougher than I would like.

Just old school freestyle really. A mixture of flatland and the odd trick ramp/park

Offline Dex Dexter

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2008, 10:21 AM »

OS = look at and cruise

Good point and agreed.

I am track only - racing and a bit of dirt fun.  I don't think any of the Retro SE would be the best choice for park or street.

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2008, 10:23 AM »
then it's a proper NS bike you need.....not any of those retro things (IMHO)

believe me, i think everyone who got back into the sport said the same thing.....it's OS all the way for me....then they go to a couple of RAD meets or parks, try a NS bike and they quickly realise JUST how much better they are!  

for what you'll pay putting together a good quality OS bike, you could get yourself a great NS ride which will transform your riding and you'll do so much more than 25 years ago.

telelogic

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2008, 10:26 AM »
go see stodgy in the rad shop on the best deals youll find on retro .

imo old school bikes aint good to ride they are only gonna bust
show them yes   charity events yes and racing on the odd occasion.
but as a main ride NO they lasted 25 years why fook em up now with fat bums astride.

I have guitars twice the age of my bike! and they all get played hard.

If they worked bitd why not now?

And fyi I do not have a fat bum :yahoo_silent:

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2008, 10:28 AM »
if you sat on your guitar and jumped and it flexed all over the place till it fractured then be my guessed.
just my opinion that was asked for not a debate.

telelogic

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2008, 10:30 AM »
if you sat on your guitar and jumped and it flexed all over the place till it fractured then be my guessed.
just my opinion that was asked for not a debate.

you're quite right :-[

please forgive me?

Offline HARODAVE

• Rockwalk
  • the artist formerly known as DAVE3172 !!
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2008, 10:36 AM »
Retro old school bikes are ace i.m.h.o ..old school look with modern-day rideability and strength ..i`ve put a few old school bits on my 06 Sport and it rides great ..i can go for it on a bike that i know aint gonna brake and isn`t a relic or a priceless artifact ..don`t get me wrong i love OS bikes much more  but i`d be terrified of knackering something that i`ve put heart and soul into restoring !!
With Bacofoil and a Battering Ram !

Offline Flatcap

• Flip-Whip
  • No thank you, Turkish; I'm sweet enough!
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2008, 10:38 AM »
New school bikes have advanced for a reason, because they're better. It's like trying to compare a MK II Mexico to a Mitsubishi Lancer Evo 10, there's just no comparison. Yes the MK II Mexico will still be bags of fun to drive but it won't be able to do the things the Evo can do because technology was limited when it was built.

Old school for cruising and posing and new school for proper riding. However, it's still possible to have a new school rider with a old/mid school look to it, which is what I do, see below. It's a complete new school bike but it stands out from the crowd. I've since changed the bars and the grips but the bars are still chrome and the grips black. This F&F will be changing again soon to all chrome which will look even more old school but again, it will be complete new school.

Daz.

Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified in this case by an 'orrible cnut... ME!

telelogic

« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2008, 10:44 AM »
Sexy bike Daz :daumenhoch:

lodge

« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2008, 10:56 AM »
Unfortunately almost everyone makes the mistake of getting an old school bike on there return to bmx, if your serious about riding bikes as opposed to collecting them you will end up with a new school as theres no comparison.

darkersomeday

« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2008, 11:01 AM »
seriously though dude, all leg pulling aside, :LolLolLolLol:

when you rode as a kid you were smaller right?

so your O/S frame's geometry would have been smaller too, "18/"19 top tube etc,

now you're in need of a longer frame with more room up font,

also you weigh a fair bit more than when you were a kid so will need a stronger frame,

what you rode back then was essentially a kids bike,

now to actually ride you need an adults bike,

trust me, O/S bikes a lovely to look at and adore but for riding try a N/S bike, you wont be dissapointed, :daumenhoch:

first things first,

how tall are you?

telelogic

« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2008, 11:03 AM »
I'm five ten and weigh about ten and a half stone.

darkersomeday

« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2008, 11:12 AM »
"20.75 to "21 tt :daumenhoch:

Offline Flatcap

• Flip-Whip
  • No thank you, Turkish; I'm sweet enough!
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2008, 11:44 AM »
And funnily enough, my Proper frame above is 20.75 and it's for sale for the bargain price of £90 posted  :)

Daz.  :daumenhoch:
Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified in this case by an 'orrible cnut... ME!

telelogic

« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2008, 11:48 AM »
such nice work :4_17_5:

so smooth!

let it bake for an hour, then serve it up nice n' easy ;D

darkersomeday

« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2008, 12:22 PM »
heres a point of reference for you,

this is the best bike on this or any other forum,
nothing comes close. :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  Nu School anyone?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx