gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975762 Posts in 138935 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie October 03, 2024, 12:20 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  first memory of a bmx..
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: first memory of a bmx..  (Read 1947 times)

Offline meticulous

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
first memory of a bmx..
« on: December 29, 2008, 07:37 PM »
when i was 9 or 10 a lad came to live here in england with his gran', he was from canada, and he brought with him his bmx, it was about 1977-78, it looked like a motorbike with a pretend petrol tank and shockers at the front that worked, and big springs under the chopper style back seat that also worked, it wieghed a ton and bounced around everywhere, it looked awesome and peeps at first glance thought it was a motorbike, i cannot remember the name of the bike, and he went to live back in canada..
i can still remember his name 'Peter frank andrews', ruddy hell were did that come from....  i cant remember yesterday, yet  i can remember 30odd years ago :idiot2:  His sister was fit too..... Hmmmm!!!!
anyway back on track, does anyone else remember this type of bmx?   ;)
R.I.P  O.M. Far short of the finish line...

Offline CD17

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
Re: first memory of a bmx..
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2008, 07:41 PM »
I saw a clip on TV when I was about 12 where someone was riding a BMX in a skatepark, he was wheeling, then went up a little ramp & when he got to the top, he done a 180, it was the coolest thing I had ever seen  :shocked:

Offline meticulous

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2008, 07:51 PM »
never under-estimate the power of a childs mind... :daumenhoch:

munners

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2008, 07:54 PM »

Offline Gashead

• Team Owner
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Up the Gas
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2008, 07:55 PM »
I went up to the local sweet shop to but some lemon bonbons with my grandad and on the shelf was a magazing called BMX Action Bike !

I think it featured the manx tt for some reason on the front...........................the rest was history !

Strange how BMX gets in your blood eh  ;)

Nick

munners

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2008, 07:58 PM »
Reading my uncles old bmx mags whilst listening to the fame theme tune on 7" when  was a kid. Old Bmx mags got me hooked.

Without a shadow of a doubt the red and yellow burner also sticks in my mind.

spesh

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2008, 08:32 PM »
i was about 12 and went to visit my cousin in portchester (across the road from where i live now and he still lives there)
and his dad had bought him a mongoose motomag (1979) back from a business trip in the usa,was the first bmx i ever saw and couldnt beleive they did mag wheels for push bikes as id only ever seen mags on motorbikes
he gave me his old bike  which i learnt to bunny hop on  ( it had 20" wheels and a wierd frame, i later found out after joining on here was a genuine schwinn stingray :tickedoff:)

davevilla

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2008, 08:40 PM »
My first memory is of a gleaming Supergoose hanging in a local bike shop window that I dreamt about, this was very quickly followed by the BMX scenes in ET on a pirate video (everyone I know saw ET first on a pirate VHS or Betamax - how did it make any money?) - this led me to customise my Striker BMX style...

kdubbmx

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2008, 10:06 PM »
I went up to the local sweet shop to but some lemon bonbons with my grandad and on the shelf was a magazing called BMX Action Bike !

I think it featured the manx tt for some reason on the front...........................the rest was history !

Nick

That was the issue when my mates 'Mad' Malc Stapleton & 'junkyard' Jim Martin did an article about downhill speed runs & put on motorcycle road race bars & footpegs instead of pedals!! WTF???????

Wierd article or what!  ;) ;)

spesh

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2008, 10:13 PM »
i remember that artical had a pic of them with the drop handlebars
here a modern version complete with gpz fairing  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline markyp

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2008, 10:59 PM »
My first memory is of a gleaming Supergoose hanging in a local bike shop window that I dreamt about, this was very quickly followed by the BMX scenes in ET on a pirate video (everyone I know saw ET first on a pirate VHS or Betamax - how did it make any money?) - this led me to customise my Striker BMX style...
:LolLolLolLol:me too ,saw it on beetamax pirate!!!my first bmx memory is 1981 on  a saturday afternoon late summer,we'd moved across town and went back to our old neighborhood to pay a visit to good friends of the parents,their son who had everything before anyone,grifter etc etc had a team murray  i think,first time id ever seen or heard of bmx,was another 2 years till i got my first!
Arsenal FC not Arsene FC

Victoria Concordia crescit

trasher

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2008, 11:22 PM »
reckon this could be it ,,,1980 butlins skegness

what the freak do i look like ,,,,no idea what bike it was ,,,soon after getting home from this holiday ,got myself an early burner ,for my first bmx

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2008, 04:27 AM »
I'd seen them in Skating mags in about 78/79 but the first one's I saw in the flesh were Cav Strutt and Andy Ruffell's Mongooses at Harrow Skatepark during the summer of 79 and I knew immediately that I had to have a BMX bike  ;D.  Both of them let me have a go on their bikes and it just felt so natural to me; completely lost the ability now though  :D.

Here's a pic I found and scanned in, it's me on the bike and my mate Darren Norman on the deck at a little track we made in a field over the road from our homes in Sipson alongside the M4 Spur.  gotta love the glasses and the parka  ;D.

Better to crash and burn than fade away

Voodoocars

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2008, 08:01 AM »
Its a bit vague but I had a Grifter that I put these strange 'bmx' forks on it.The steerer tube was about 10" long ! We used to ride normal bikes with cowhorn bars on and bmx bike sort of appeared.Kids rode these- Huffy-which had square bars ,Puch and a chrome thing called a 'rustler' (or hustler).It had yellow plastic mags with real thin spokes and the bottom bracket was really high up.Anyone got a pic of one? Then Burners came along and it seemed like everyone had one.My dad made the frame for my first bmx.I was a Torker copy - white with acs z wheels on.It got stolen from outside Halfords while I was shoplifting inside (!). After that 'proper' bmx bikes was all I had.

Offline meticulous

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2008, 08:06 AM »
them scorpion exploders looked awesome bitd, the yellow skyways were never heard of, and was 2 years ahead of the burners that came with them, it was the look of these bikes that got into your blood first, before even riding one...

now they all look the same, and tbh, dont 'look' anything special...

Offline meticulous

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2008, 08:17 AM »
this is the first bmx i saw.... :smitten: :smitten:

Offline meticulous

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2008, 08:26 AM »
or may have been this...

karlos100

« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2008, 11:17 AM »
^^^^^WOW! that is sooo cool.Love to see it out O/S racing.

My first experience was when my motomag was delivered by santa. Everyone else has strikers and choppers and they preceded to take the pish outa my strange looking bike.Now who's laughin.... :Aresehole:'s

Offline Dex Dexter

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2008, 11:54 AM »
I had a Striker - prob around 79.

I lived in the village called Kirklevington (where the Kirk nightclub used to be).  There were these woods down the end of a street called Ash Grove where the big kids had made trails.  Tracker bikes were all the rage then.  Racer frames with cow horn handlebars.

One of the kids whose dad was well heeled had a bmx with silver mag wheels.  Puch sticks in my mind.
He let me have a go on these trails and I remember pulling a jump and nealy knocking this kids head off with my front wheel.  It seemed to generate some respect and I was hooked from there.

I got a blue and yellow Tuff Burner for Christmas - the best Christmas ever bar none!!

B.t.w - how many of you see kids building ramps these days.  When I was a kid it was all planks and bricks - whatever we could find.  Then it was 'how many parking space widths can you wheely'.  I just don't see this any more, which is a shame because they were the best days.

sweetbeats

« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2008, 12:38 PM »
My first blast on a bmx was around 1980 a lad in my nana's street called egg head got a silver bmx called a velo shauff german i think it was..it had black mag wheels on with drum brakes and I always remember the welding was like someone had spat on the bike..bits of slaver all over the gussett and that.

Here's one from BMX Museum.

sweetbeats

« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2008, 12:40 PM »
Hey Dex it was Strika for me then a tuff burner for xmas as well, happy days. :D

HEYWOOD BMX

« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2008, 12:49 PM »
 My first BMX was sometime in 1980,called a WMX.Had a looptail,double gusset with an arrow cutout & gold anodised rims/brakes,black frame with yellow parts.I had no idea what it was & it got pinched 2 weeks later...Do recall one of the stickers said supplied by Wellington Motocross?

Offline meticulous

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2008, 03:22 PM »
are you sure that wasnt womens motorcross (WMX) james.... :buck2:

Offline Gashead

• Team Owner
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Up the Gas
  • Rated:
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2008, 05:57 PM »

Nick

has anyone got a scan of that mag ? Front cover - Im sure I had it but can't find it  :daumenhoch:

munners

« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2008, 06:54 PM »
I had a striker too. ;)

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  first memory of a bmx..

gfxgfx
gfx gfx