gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 22, 2024, 09:28 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Safe Grip Removal
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Safe Grip Removal  (Read 1066 times)

LeeVDC

Safe Grip Removal
« on: December 27, 2008, 01:08 PM »
Probably been donr to death,but....need to know... I'm removing 2 sets of VDC Monkey bars that are already fitted with NOS Ame Tritons and ODI Mushy grips, the Ame's are on real tight, the bars are being re-powdercoated and I would like to remove and save the grips for reuse when bars come back from painters, please let us know the best way to fet these mothers off without knives, damage etc to the grips????

Cheers

Lee

Offline jT Racing

• BMX Overlord
  • i like bikes. :/
  • Rated:
Re: Safe Grip Removal
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2008, 01:13 PM »
i use wd40 or washing up liquid. get a bit under the edge and work it around
ding dong

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2008, 01:30 PM »
Or a hot bowl of water and stand the grip in the water for a few minutes without submerging it and then twist and slide it off  :daumenhoch:

Better to crash and burn than fade away

Offline jT Racing

• BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2008, 01:38 PM »
LOL yeah. but if your like me and can't be arsed to take the bars off and have a can of wd to hand :LolLolLolLol:
ding dong

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2008, 01:45 PM »
LOL yeah. but if your like me and can't be arsed to take the bars off and have a can of wd to hand :LolLolLolLol:

;D

Better to crash and burn than fade away

telelogic

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2008, 01:53 PM »
Did this, just yesterday!

Squirt dw40 or as I did zippo lighter fluid down the grip, (if you have bar ends all the better cos you can squirt it down the outside end)

work it about a bit, stick on a pair of rubber gloves (for better purchase/kinkiness) and pull like the wind!

takes a little while, if that's not working, try the hot water method, or both, if you're feeling saucy.

try not to punch/elbow wife in face when grip suddenly comes lose!

Do not argue with the nice policeman the neighbors called when they heard the screaming!

Don't struggle while wearing hand cuffs, it will only make it hurt more!

good luck.

PS; If this works for you, can you send me a cake with a file in it?

Offline Zippy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2008, 03:03 PM »
Safest way to remove grips with no hassle and zero chance of damaging the grips or bars is to use a bicycle pump with one of those little yellow plastic cone adaptors.

Simply attach the adaptor to the end of the pump

and place the adaptor into the end of the grip where the little hole is.

Now place your finger over the other hole and and start pumping.

If you've done it right the grip will slide off with zero effort. Now do the same on the other grip but this time place your hand over the end of the bar itself. Again the grip will simply slide off.

Easy peasy.

Offline priv

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2008, 01:18 AM »
Safest way to remove grips with no hassle and zero chance of damaging the grips or bars is to use a bicycle pump with one of those little yellow plastic cone adaptors.

Simply attach the adaptor to the end of the pump

and place the adaptor into the end of the grip where the little hole is.

Now place your finger over the other hole and and start pumping.

If you've done it right the grip will slide off with zero effort. Now do the same on the other grip but this time place your hand over the end of the bar itself. Again the grip will simply slide off.

Easy peasy.

that is fcuking genius,i'll be using that method from now on :4_17_5:

JT71

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2008, 07:56 AM »
too much effort, just slide the little placcy tube that comes with your wd40 down between grip and bar, put can on tube, press the button on the can. squide the grip around and it'll slide off.

mr.magoo

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2008, 08:16 AM »
yep, that s how i do it :daumenhoch:

wirewheel

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2008, 09:34 AM »
trade secret alert.

:police:

i use this stuff. servisol super 10 :4_17_5: for grip fit and removal.

from maplins or good guitar shops @£4 a tin pricey for a single job but good stuff to have. pure solvent for cleaning electronics. doesn't attack grip rubber either :daumenhoch:
comes with the little pipe. get in under the flange with a small screwdriver. then send the pipe in and squirt some in and wrestle send pipe in more wrestle again usually off in seconds.  :daumenhoch:

not a lube like wd so when you put grips on with this stuff it dries in minutes not hours and grips are on solid. ride straight away almost.

second best cheap hairspray. but it stinks. and takes longer to dry.

wd40 and fairy i'd avoid as they are well messy especially fairy and wd40 is lube remember! you don't want lube all over your grips guys!!! servisol just evaporates after a few seconds so you need to spray/wrestle spray/wrestle!

hope this ends the debate

Offline jT Racing

• BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2008, 11:13 AM »
just stick with wd. it's tried and tested. hot water works.
ding dong

T WILD

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2008, 12:06 PM »
If you can dont grip the grip by the grip (yeah I know) Try twisting and pulling from the flange at the brake end as the grip itself is the part that has hold of the bars and gripping it more only gives it a tighter hold.

wirewheel

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2008, 11:13 PM »
 :4_17_5: TRY IT TEST IT.

or stay in the dark ages.

teamsano

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2008, 12:11 AM »
the pump method also works perfectly for installing grips also!

Offline stu27

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2009, 09:55 PM »
ive got some of those mushroom grips that are two-tone with the hard plastic white inner core and the mushroom grip outercore(if you know what i mean)anyone have an idea on how best to remove these  :daumenhoch:
negativity is for chumps,positivity is for champs

mamadirt

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2009, 10:49 AM »
As above, but I use GT85 instead of WD40 (a bit thinner and it smells nicer  ;)).  Use an old wooden or plastic chopstick to lift the grip enough to allow the plastic nozzle access - do this all the way around and the grip should slide off easily with no damage to the dual ply.  Give the grips a good wash in hot soapy water afterwards to remove any GT85 traces and they'll be good to go again.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Safe Grip Removal

gfxgfx
gfx gfx