gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975762 Posts in 138935 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie October 02, 2024, 01:44 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Retro profile cranks
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Retro profile cranks  (Read 4265 times)

clonerz

Retro profile cranks
« on: December 24, 2008, 06:24 PM »
I just recieved these cranks today, anyone else got a set of these box crank reproductions yet? I am  wondering what you think of yours, i'll not post comments just yet, but will wait to see what you lot thought of them. Im pretty sure a few of you on here ordered them. Comments please!

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
Re: Retro profile cranks
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2008, 06:27 PM »
 afew negative reports so far i believe in the chrome mainly and general finish ,not upto par.

snav69

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2008, 06:31 PM »
Aint ordered any myself but saw the ones Alan has on display at the shop and they looked amazing , the chrome was outstanding  8) nothing like the ones i have seen posted on here and in the states  :police:

:coolsmiley:

kennyhunter6061

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2008, 02:27 AM »
Apparently mine left the USPS Florida depot on 23rd December.  No doubt I will have to phone Parcelforce to see where the cranks are.  The last item I had delivered by USPS recently (a  5-stud NOS Mongoose helmet peak, which ended up costing £100!!!) was a feckin nightmare. The USPS website said they had tried delivering it 3 weeks previous, which was total crap. Parcelforce still had it awaiting payment of import tax and nobody had notified me.  Wonder what I'll get stung for in import taxes for these  >:(  I haven't ridden oldschool since MK08 cos I've been waiting for these bloody cranks!!  :2gunsfiring_v1:

torkertony

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2008, 09:11 AM »
Mine are spot on mate, took ages to arrive but the chrome is great - no complaints.  No import tax either!

Offline Dark Diggler

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2008, 10:18 AM »
I just fitted a set for someone and I have to say they look they were welded by a 5 year old, polished prior to chroming by a chimp and then chromed by someone still pissed from a night out, fookin dire. I will add that the bike they were fitted to sits next to 2 bikes wearing the origonal box cranks and they bear little resembelence. very, very fookin shabby.
Whats the matter Kid, don't ya like clowns? Don't we make you laugh? Aint we fukkin funny?

Offline hunterdubber

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2008, 10:30 AM »
I just fitted a set for someone and I have to say they look they were welded by a 5 year old, polished prior to chroming by a chimp and then chromed by someone still pissed from a night out, fookin dire. I will add that the bike they were fitted to sits next to 2 bikes wearing the origonal box cranks and they bear little resembelence. very, very fookin shabby.

Is that 3 thumbs up then since you're from Keighley  :crazy2:

Offline jT Racing

• BMX Overlord
  • i like bikes. :/
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2008, 11:38 AM »

the welding on this pic looks dire.
ding dong

Offline Dark Diggler

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2008, 02:09 PM »
That pic shows the welding quite well, I dont think profile made em personally, if they did, then they have no quality control whatsoever anymore, something I would not have said previously. The spider that comes with em is good, but the rest takes the piss, in a very large way.

Very shite
Whats the matter Kid, don't ya like clowns? Don't we make you laugh? Aint we fukkin funny?

Offline ron burgundy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2008, 04:15 PM »
How does the the quality stand up when they are side by side with the standard Profile racing cranks?.. are now shite as well?
"Thanks for the Fish Fingers idea... I'm fooking loaded now!!!"

Offline WARDY

• Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2008, 04:24 PM »
when I saw the first piccy of em before they went on sale thought the welds looked shocking , peeps were worried that these re issues ed take it away from the old originals , well its safe to say they aint , dont come no where near em imo

sweetbeats

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2008, 04:42 PM »
Seen loads of shocking pics of the profile repops,I would just search out some proper ones least you know what your getting i.e good old skool workmanship and a tried and tested product that has stood the test of time..alternatively pay through the nose and get some badly chromed..slaver welded cranks.

Offline Dark Diggler

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2008, 05:24 PM »
How does the the quality stand up when they are side by side with the standard Profile racing cranks?.. are now shite as well?
Normal "new school" profiles seem ok, that said I haven't seen any very recently produced ones. If I compare my 3 sets of profiles they aint that different, the quality is good, a million miles from the quality of the replops, which is what makes me think they farmed them out.....

Offline hunterdubber

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2008, 11:59 AM »
Well come on Clonerz you've got some feedback  as requested  ::)

What are yours like good batch or could've been better batch  ???

Either way they ain't cheap for repro  ,should be about  £50 dearer than twin pinch flights at the most IMO

gossa

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2008, 11:04 PM »
I know that Profile are making these and not farming them out.  I fitted a set for a mate the other day and I would say that looked OK and fitted fine.  They are a repop of the real old style ones though and probably not the ones many of us had in the mid eighties.

Chroming was not bad, welding was not bad.  However if i was Profile I would have had their top welder do them and spend a bit more on the chroming to make them supermint which they aint.

Offline Dark Diggler

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2008, 09:39 AM »

Offline WARDY

• Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2008, 09:48 AM »
that first piccy the welds aint looking to clever , has anyone sent theirs back saying they aint happy with em ???

thecrooch

« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2008, 10:20 AM »
Who the hell fitted the Seat tube decals on that TA Repop???  very shoddy! (IMHO)

Ive got a set and I like em alot.  The chrome is good, although I have seen better (bullseye cranks) the welding on mine is perfect, overall Id give em two thumbs up.  Heres a pic of mine:
Please note I had greasy fingers here and hadnt wiped them clean yet after installing, the chrome is better than the pics show.  Pics arnt too good I know..

Pics here during the various installation stages:
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v512/cython3/bikes/?action=view&current=DSC05919.jpg
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v512/cython3/bikes/?action=view&current=DSC05920.jpg
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v512/cython3/bikes/?action=view&current=DSC05921.jpg
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v512/cython3/bikes/?action=view&current=DSC05922.jpg
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v512/cython3/bikes/?action=view&current=DSC05923.jpg
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v512/cython3/bikes/?action=view&current=DSC05924.jpg
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v512/cython3/bikes/?action=view&current=DSC05925.jpg

dialledbikes

« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2008, 02:03 PM »
The official Profile response:

http://profileracing.com/news_full.php?id=792

Offline WARDY

• Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2008, 02:11 PM »

don't think , as they say , a microscope to find faults , wish i'd have kept me nos gen 2 s :uglystupid2:

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2008, 04:30 AM »

That's a bull response; there's no quality control evident in one of the production runs and frankly they should be ashamed of the product they sent out to pre-paid customers.  If I were Profile I'd be saying to send them back for a replacement set or a refund.  They may not be making money out of them (I doubt that though) but they are not winning new customers with them either.

Better to crash and burn than fade away

Offline jT Racing

• BMX Overlord
  • i like bikes. :/
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2008, 11:15 AM »
that weld on digglers pic is not how it should be done. that weld is only 'run in' and no rod has been added. this means that the welder has just used heat to fuse the 2 parts together and not actually welded the crank. When you tig weld corner to corner on up to 3mm thick stainless sheet steel(the most usual use of rodless tig welding) running in is a common process as it makes an even and neat joint that is strong enough to hold the structure. When welding studs, tubing and other structural joints this running in method is not suitable. The weld draws material from both the crank arm and the splined tube making them both weaker. On a weld like this the welder should have used a cro-mo steel rod to add material to make the bond. Very very shoddy and unsafe-ish/weak and should never have left the factory at profile done like this. they know it. As for the uneveness on the back of the arms. A good polisher(this is the name for a bloke in engineering firms who smoothes welds, grains stainless and re-finishes more or less all product) can easily make a joint look invisible. This kind of work is my trade so i know what i'm on about. They got the money first, and it shows. There may be some very good ones done by their better employees, but from the looks of things there is some polish part timer worker specials being made :-\
ding dong

dialledbikes

« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2008, 01:53 PM »
I wonder what Profile had in mind when they re-issued these cranks?  That they'd be put on show bikes or would be ridden?

Have people who've bought them done so to ride or just for show bikes?

Offline meticulous

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2008, 04:56 PM »
there excusses sounds like they are saying  'like it or lump it'.... 'they aint gettin any better'....
R.I.P  O.M. Far short of the finish line...

gossa

« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2009, 08:26 PM »
Profiles BITD were never the best made cranks, welding nowhere near as neat as flights.  The ones that I fitted the other day were pretty sweet and certainly no worse than ones made in the eighties.

I think we are all obsessive on perfection now and forget how shite some of the stuff was that we rode.....The first ever S&M in the UK had a completely missing weld on one of the dropouts.....welder just forget! Still got ridden hard though (Glen Leyburn, Belfast, Jive5).

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Retro profile cranks

gfxgfx
gfx gfx