gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975632 Posts in 138927 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee June 29, 2024, 10:44 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Park, Street & Dirt  |  help with toptube size
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: help with toptube size  (Read 1325 times)

modfather

help with toptube size
« on: December 22, 2008, 11:44 AM »
Sorry if this has been a repost been looking for a topic on toptube, may have miss it when scrolling fast.

Anyway i am looking at this frame and its a 21'' toptube. i am five foot ten/elevenish and i would like to have some advice from a list of yous if the toptube may be too big for me or it will be fine.

if you have an new school bike tell me your height and the tt of your frame so i can see the average's if possible

cheers  :coolsmiley:

moley

Re: help with toptube size
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2008, 11:59 AM »
I'm 5'10" on a good day and 20.5" TT is okay for me!!

I might even like it a little longer but I haven't tried one yet!!

I reckon 21" might be alright!!

Remember its not just the TT you have to worry about.  The BB position also effects the way it feels because thats the bit you centralise over while pedalling!!

If the BB is closer to the bars then it will feel shorter and further away it will feel longer.

But I think most NS rides are similar in geometry!!

modfather

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2008, 12:05 PM »
cheers moley i reckon a 20 75'' toptube would be good or even your 20 5'' maybe the 21'' would be for six footer plus

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2008, 12:49 PM »
I'm 6' 2" and my TT is 21.5 i think  :daumenhoch:

modfather

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2008, 01:09 PM »
bleeding eck lol it starting to look like a toptube is nothing to anybody of any height! lol if a toptube is too long for me what would the affect be! eg cant bunny hop etc

Offline Stodgy

• BMX Overlord
    • RADBMX Shop
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2008, 01:21 PM »
TwoBob or S&M Alex are probably the best men to explain the relationship between top tube length and height.

The toptube length gives you a basic point for comparison, but many things need to be taken into consideration...headtube angle, seattube angle, bb height, seatstay length, etc., all affect the wheelbase.

A longer toptube in general gives you more room (i.e. ideal for the taller rider) up front, and in theory should make it slightly harder to manual (lift the front end), but gives a stable ride. But if the rear is short then it will manual fine, but make it a little more twitchy...it's a real fine balance - hence why the tt is a good enough basic guide.

I would say a 21" tt is fine for anyone over 5'10" - but it's all down to riding style whether it will suit you. I have seen 6'+ men on 19" tt bikes...it's horses for courses.

My best advice would be to try a few at a riding session and fine what's right for you.

HEYWOOD BMX

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2008, 01:24 PM »
 :) Think you`d be better off with a 21 or longer toptube.Some sizing is down to personal preference,but it def makes a difference in the way the bike handles.

Offline Stodgy

• BMX Overlord
    • RADBMX Shop
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2008, 02:10 PM »
Oooo, forgot to say. It also depends on what the bike is for...racing? street? ramps? flatland?

Racing you'd definately need 21"+, street/ramps 20.75 - 21 and flatland 19".

:daumenhoch:

sweetbeats

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2008, 02:30 PM »
Get an 18" and a supercoolsnakepost...happy days :D

lodge

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2008, 02:45 PM »
Longer frames tend to be good for jumping as there more stable in the air, shorter frames are better for spinning tricks such as 360's as they come round easier.
Although it doesn't sound much quarter of an inch makes a huge difference to the way a bike rides.

I would imagine you wont go far wrong with a 20.75 if your doing a bit of everything.

modfather

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2008, 03:26 PM »
20.75 it is  :daumenhoch: i want it for really crashing about in on the streets through belfast  :coolsmiley:

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2008, 10:50 AM »
I'm 5'11"  and I ride a 21" Macneil.  It's just fine. you always have the option of fiddling with your bars for comfort.

I'd agree with S&Mc.  Longer bike deffo jump a little flatter for sure.  If you're looking at one of these new super low slung jobbies then the TT length is a little out of kilter with what we're used to, and you'll need to get a slightly longer version in order for it to feel how you want it to.

Personally though, I never worried about it.  I rode Condors for years coz I liked Hoffman and wanted to support him.

I ride a Macneil now coz I like Freimuth and Miron, and wanted to support them.

The bikes are nothing alike.   After a couple of sessions to get used to them, it never bothered me again.

I'm changing bikes again soon, and this is also completely different.....  Dont get too wrapped up in 1/4" here and there, get riding!!!!

Offline Stodgy

• BMX Overlord
    • RADBMX Shop
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2008, 11:46 AM »
There ya go - I told ya Rob would sort it out.

:daumenhoch:

modfather

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2008, 03:55 PM »
thanks lads  :daumenhoch:

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2008, 04:02 PM »
im 6'2 and ride a 20" cant get comfy on a 21  but thats just me,

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Park, Street & Dirt  |  help with toptube size

gfxgfx
gfx gfx