gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 22, 2024, 05:25 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Bike building stand?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Bike building stand?  (Read 780 times)

mileyboy

Bike building stand?
« on: December 24, 2008, 02:35 PM »
Anybody recommend a good stand for building oldschoolers? :)

Offline stidds

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
Re: Bike building stand?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2008, 04:44 PM »
Make your own, I did.  Better and cheaper than any that you can buy.  I can send you the instructions if you would like, PM me.

wirewheel

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2008, 02:40 PM »
i use one of those double d type shop display stands bolted on my bench. alway hated those clamp type stands they take up too much room  and not high enough to work on if you are 6ft plus and glassbacked!!!! ok for umpalumpa.

Coastvl

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2008, 12:22 PM »
Stidds, Have you got a pic of the stand you built? I'm thinking of building my own too. What did you use for the clamp?

Offline jT Racing

• BMX Overlord
  • i like bikes. :/
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2008, 07:04 PM »
i use this

there's one here for sale from the same place i got mine(breda) but i bought mine in a shop. they are really good, heavy solid construction and grips all frames, even that awkward ripper top tube good and strong without damage. i would reccomend it.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Sport44-Velomann-Bike-star-work-repair-stand-NEW_W0QQitemZ280295091531QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Baby_BabyTravel_Pushchairs_GL?hash=item280295091531&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1301%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318
ding dong

wirewheel

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2008, 09:15 AM »
this works for me!

anti back ache method! there is a logical order of assembly tho if u use this way as obviously it don't hold the frame. (no paaint marks)!

Offline jT Racing

• BMX Overlord
  • i like bikes. :/
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2008, 11:18 AM »
that's a show bike stand. how the fook is that gonna help. It basically requires you to own a bench and have wheels fitted. I us my bike stand at the lowest setting and have a little workshop stool that adjusts in height, is very padded and has 2 trays for nuts bolts etc as seen here with a bike in the early stages of building when these things are a godsend
ding dong

wirewheel

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2008, 09:54 PM »
re:"how the fook is that gonna help"

:Great_Britain: i guess if you rode my challenger you'd get it that it works. that bad boy is smooth. and dialled.
 i agree you do need a bench. but YOU DO need a bench in any proper workshop. and a bike does need wheels so whats up with

"requires you to own a bench and have wheels fitted" :LolLolLolLol: what else you gonna fit a lawnmower? :LolLolLolLol:

agree to disagree brother :daumenhoch: i guess after many years working on bmx bikes you will find your own best way and not everyone has money for work stands just to use them once in a while.

i was just offering an alternative to going out and spending  £100 on a stand. how does your stand go on with a trm or a mid flatland frame? i forkin hated workstands when i was working in general bike shops. tripping on the legs and half the bikes didn't fit right or too low. and sitting down on the job is not for me thanks.

next you'll be saying you need a jig to build a wheel!!!! :LolLolLolLol:

each to his own mr JT, sorry to bicker. i guess mileyboy didn't realise he'd open a tin of worms. he can start his own fire as far as his stands go.

that ripper is very very nice and they fly!!!! i had one in 94 didn't i laz? :LolLolLolLol:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Bike building stand?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx