gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975762 Posts in 138935 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie October 02, 2024, 08:23 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  first memory of a bmx..
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: first memory of a bmx..  (Read 1942 times)

lodge

Re: first memory of a bmx..
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2008, 07:26 PM »
What i remember is being desperate for a BMX to replace my Sriker which i was using for jumping etc so a bmx seemed to fit the bill.
One day my parents took me out for the day we headed to newcastleton in the borders I assumed we were just going for a walk to some boring place, we drove up this dirt track and it hit me we were going to a bmx event but my parents hadn't told me, i will never forget it we past loadsa bmxers on the dirt track on mainly gooses, its funny how things stick in your mind but i remember several of them had additional chain rings on there grips.
After the drive up the dirt track all i could see was a huge bmx track, bikes everywhere,team vans, tents, stalls, i had arrived on the planet bmx.
I recall spending most time by the tabletop as this is where the jumps were going down inbetween races, i also recall buying my first newspaper type bmx weekly.
I also remember my dad asking various people about the bikes and them saying a good one is 300 pounds which didnt go down well with him.
Anyway on my next birthday i was the proud owner of a metal magged coaster braked team murray.

firebird

« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2008, 08:48 PM »
the first bmx i had i have hardly any memory of, but it was chrome and had black tyres just like the mongoose ones, and that's it. Then in 82 for my 8th birthday i got a mk1 tuff burner. didn't really know much about bmx. most of the other lads still had grifters and racers. i have no memory of going to any good bmx shops, would have loved to have seen all the frames hanging up. then i remember some of the bigger boys having some nice bikes but i didn't really know them. i remember being aloud to go around the block for the first time, i was amazed that i could go all the way around without crossing the road,  :)
around 84 got a second hand dp freestyler for £40 off a glue sniffer  ;D

Offline bigfatolly

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2008, 10:34 PM »
i used to live round the corner from poole bmx track and remember one sunday seeing a lot of cars,vans etc going there.
went to investigate with my dad and saw a makeshift track and kids on bmxs which i had never seen before.the one that stuck in my mind was a gleaming mongoose motomag and a blue and yellow team murray.
this meeting was not where the poole track was eventually built but further over on the other side of the common.i reckon around 1980/81.
at the time i had a strange grifter copy bike called a vindec scrambler which had the sturmy archer 3 speed gears and a double top tube!
after seeing the bmxs i pestered my parents who eventually got me a wmx.
seem to remember it was black with hideous 12 or 16 spoke yellow mag wheels but unlike heywood it had a burner style gusset and i dont remember it having a looptail but could be wrong.
i hated the bike but it was all my parents could afford at the time.the bike quickly became fooked up and parts broke etc and i bought a super tuff burner without the tuffs off a mate from school for £15 of saved pocket money.
my dad was a car sprayer and sprayed it white which was the envy of the hood as no one had white bikes at the time.next xmas 83 i think santa got me white aero zytecs with blue tyres from strongs bmx bmth.
all i did then was buy second hand parts from the poole race meets and swop parts around with mates,i could never afford new bits and always bought and swapped used.
then around 84 my parents pushed the boat out and i got a chrome rickman freestyler f+f for my birthday and all the parts from the burner went on it and more upgrading and swapping with the locals ensued until it was quite a well specced bike.
it then got nicked around 86 along with my mates dp freestyler in bmth town centre after we locked it with one of those crap combination locks of that time.
great days....... :)

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  first memory of a bmx..

gfxgfx
gfx gfx