gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 23, 2024, 07:34 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Shouldn't nos brake levers match?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Shouldn't nos brake levers match?  (Read 739 times)

Juju

Shouldn't nos brake levers match?
« on: December 23, 2008, 07:54 PM »
Ok, this is possibly the daftest question ever posted here, but I'm beginning to doubt my own mind, and I haven't really seen a lot of bmx brake levers in 25 years, being an old fart and all, so here goes.

Shouldn't a pair of brake levers, for right and left bar, be er, identical except completely opposite/mirror image of each other?

See, I bought some nos levers from some chap in the states, and to start with, he was charging $20 postage.  Thats fine as he made it clear it was his charge. I've never bought anyhting from the states, so I'm mildly unimpressed that the actual cost was $4.60

If he needs the cash that desperately, why not just charge more and be honest with the postage?  Still, the real issue is that the product (nos still bagged Dia Compe doglegs in gold) were badly packaged, and in transit, the bag has split open, meaning I cant carefully undo the packaging and keep it safe - the bags trashed.

Thirdly, the brake levers appear to be one dogleg, and one of those "45 degree" type bends, you know, that curl round more.  Like a little pinkie round a tea cup.

Before I complain or leave some neg feedback for the guy, and publish his name for all to see, can you reassure me that on the major point, that levers were exact mirror images. DC didnt do anything funky like make the back brake lever a different shape to, er say "this is yer back not front, bozo!" or anything did they?

Cheers...

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
Re: Shouldn't nos brake levers match?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2008, 07:57 PM »
oooo they aint good
what ever i wouldnt use them

bmx xxx

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2008, 08:07 PM »
looks like a pre bent and a pre bent 45degrees.
they sholud be the same,
but i have had a beer, saying that the misses looks good now :daumenhoch:

snav69

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2008, 08:18 PM »
What bmx xxx says  ;)
Also i just had a gander at your album  ::)  and your diamond back silver streak/viper , why is the crank on left handed  ???

:coolsmiley:

Offline Waxintaxin

• Team Owner
  • Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2008, 08:23 PM »
the silver rears are pretty common on NOS DC early levers, dunno why but its the way it is, not just gold ,but all colours have the silver rear bit

and if they came in the same bag then i guess they should be the same angle , however lots of early pics show different angles on the left and right ,so maybe they were sold like it as a BMX set ,so to speak 

Juju

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2008, 08:34 PM »
Also i just had a gander at your album  Roll Eyes  and your diamond back silver streak/viper , why is the crank on left handed  Huh

Because I'm left handed and left footed?

Oddly enough, I'd not even thought of it til you mentioned it!

*cough* and its a senior pro - bigger framethan the SS or Viper, full cro mo and basically the same ff as an early Leary Turbo.
viper indeed!   :daumenhoch: Still, you hit the nail on why I dont think DB;s of the era are as popular as the could have been, that DB consciously went downmarket in the range to get sales, and despite the HLT being a fine fine bike, the range lost the "Halo effect" by producing Vipers ect that looked not a million miles away from their high quality frames and fork sets. 

Offline Mattdub

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2008, 05:03 PM »
Look like a Pre bend & a Double bend .

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Shouldn't nos brake levers match?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx