gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975759 Posts in 138934 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 29, 2024, 03:18 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Park, Street & Dirt  |  what is freecoaster
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: what is freecoaster  (Read 1141 times)

modfather

what is freecoaster
« on: December 13, 2008, 12:36 AM »
as a wee noobie wanting to learn more things i am curious what is freecoaster? is it when you pedal backward the bike actually pedal backward or.......

sorry if this is a repost somewhere

HEYWOOD BMX

Re: what is freecoaster
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2008, 12:39 AM »
 :) A hip/trendy (but not new) hub that allows you to roll backwards without the pedals moving...

modfather

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2008, 12:48 AM »
it sounds naff to me not that i want one i just occasionally read about freecoaster somewhere and am clueless guess i need to visually see what it does

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2008, 05:25 AM »
They're great fun actually.  They started out as coaster brakes (pedalback brakes) and people crudely modified the guts so that the brake element of it was removed.  So then you had all the benefits of rolling backwards at speed without having to crank backwards, and none of the drawbacks of accidentally catching the brake and sending yourself to the ground backwards.

Companies started making purpose built freecoaster hubs, that were hopefully stronger and used decent materials and sealed bearings etc., whilst at the same time shaving some of the weight out of them.  The early ones were well heavy - so heavy that I know vert riders who used to say the weight affected their airs.

The only real drawback with them is the 'gap'.  In order to set the hub into coast mode you need to crank backwards ever so slightly. When you want to crank again, you need to pedal forwards through this gap before the drive engages again. It's not much, and its getting less and less, but for vert riders who are travelling at speed, mess that up and you're going for a trip over the bars as you try and chuck a sneaky crank in across the flat bottom.

I don't know the full evolution of em, but I'd say they were a flatland tool first in the early days, then street and miniramp riders saw the fun in them and started using them.  I used one for a couple of years in the 90s but took it off when I started riding vert again.  If I could afford it, I'd have 2 wheels now and swap em over depending on where I was riding   :daumenhoch:

moley

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2008, 09:13 AM »
If I could afford it, I'd have 2 wheels now and swap em over depending on where I was riding   :daumenhoch:

They not NS but you could have used the ACS Freecoaster that fit OS Tuffs BITD.

I have acquired two of them.  The only trouble is they DONT fit new Tuffs, they only fit the older alloy hubbed tuffs!!

They allow you to turn two screws to your freewheel to turn it from a normal coaster hub (Pedal forward to move, pedal backward to brake, travel backwards pedals dont move backwards) to a freecoaster (Pedal forward to move, pedal backward does nothing, Travel backwards pedals dont move backward).

I would tell you what its like but I haven't been able to fit it yet!!  :( 

spinmaster

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2008, 09:19 AM »

darkersomeday

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2008, 02:31 PM »
dont listen to them,

its a kind of guitar :daumenhoch:

moley

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2008, 05:14 PM »
dont listen to them,

its a kind of guitar :daumenhoch:

Dont listen to him!

Its a bar mat!!  Take them, they're free!!  ???

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Park, Street & Dirt  |  what is freecoaster

gfxgfx
gfx gfx