gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975759 Posts in 138934 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 28, 2024, 02:18 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  thinkin of havin a bash at o/s racing....where to practice etc
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: thinkin of havin a bash at o/s racing....where to practice etc  (Read 2788 times)

karlos100

Im building an old school race legal bike over christmas with the intention of possibly getting to some meets next year. Where is the nearest track to me,i live opposite buckmore park near maidstone. Id like somewhere to go set the bike up and hopefully get a feel for it as well as some air! :daumenhoch:

Offline kdw712

• 900 Air
    • kdw712 bmx adventures in old school
  • Rated:
Re: thinkin of havin a bash at o/s racing....where to practice etc
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2008, 08:15 PM »
you've got one in dagenham
another East Kent BMX down near herne bay at broomfield
and also Hersdens not far from there either 
cheers Kev
{ wanted : "Red Haro Handle" brake lever link to my trade post }

karlos100

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2008, 08:22 PM »
Cheers for that i found their websites...jus one other thing im 6ft1 and 15 stone of solid beer....how long do you give the frame before it snaps  :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol:. its a haro group 1 using sealed tuffs!

Offline Peter J

• BMX Nerd
  • I have issues
    • http://www.sumoservices.com/
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2008, 08:29 PM »
I'm 5ft 8 and 3/4 and 17 1/2 stone of Derbyshire fat.............my o/s frame is still ok and my pro class rims are straight............ish :D
I might actually build a bike this year instead of just hoarding parts :)

karlos100

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2008, 08:41 PM »
I'm 5ft 8 and 3/4 and 17 1/2 stone of Derbyshire fat.............my o/s frame is still ok and my pro class rims are straight............ish :D

do you race pete? if so how do you do? im a bit worried of my height /weight combo! i guess practice makes perfect(ish)! :laugh:

Offline RATTY

• Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2008, 08:43 PM »
I started back two years ago, weighing nearly 19 stone, the weight soon goes once you start riding again. Good luck :daumenhoch:
A long time ago, in a land far away!

bmxbob

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2008, 09:06 PM »
 :shocked:  Thread hijack  :shocked:

I too am considering os racing next year and im also building a Haro group 1 with tuffs over the winter, lol  :daumenhoch:

in in Durham and would also like some info of clubs/tracks n stuff in the surrounding area

cheers and sorry for the hijack  :P

Bob

karlos100

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2008, 09:11 PM »

I too am considering os racing next year and im also building a Haro group 1 with tuffs over the winter, lol  :daumenhoch:

in in Durham and would also like some info of clubs/tracks n stuff in the surrounding area

Bob

hijack welcomed bob! love to know what other bits you are bolting to that haro!

Offline Peter J

• BMX Nerd
  • I have issues
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2008, 09:14 PM »
I would'nt say race............more a slow wobble  ;D I'm in the same boat as you I've spent most of this year re-learning old skills.............the main one is keep the rubber side down  :2funny:

I've had a couple of races on my cruiser and its helped. I've been to watch a couple of O/S races one thing I have noticed is it doesnt matter how good you are as long as you have a go thats all that matters.

From what I've seen the O/S guys are a cool bunch, some are very good, some are good and others are like me ..........got L plates on..... ;D

Not to sure how old you are but at 34 I don't bounce as well as I used to so buy some body armour....it doesnt stop broken bones but helps absorb some of the knocks.... :shocked:

bmxbob

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2008, 09:20 PM »
im 6`2

15 stone

29 years old

it willd deffo be a slow wobble at first  :LolLolLolLol:

karlos100

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2008, 09:24 PM »
cheers for the recommendations :daumenhoch:. i think when i get used to riding the bike its gonna go one of two ways...ill either be "just ok" or "completely sh**e". lets see eh! ::).only a few week to go then i can unwrap the tuffs(thanks to the super wife)bang em on and go cause havoc  >:D all before chrimbo dinner!

Offline Peter J

• BMX Nerd
  • I have issues
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2008, 09:28 PM »
"Just ok" or "completly sh**e".......................welcome to O/S racing  :2funny:

To me O/s racing is about having a go and meeting up with other guys who share a love of O/S its not about........clipping in, carbon fibre forks etc.........Its about having a laugh and using plenty of deep heat  :2funny:

karlos100

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2008, 09:35 PM »
"Just ok" or "completly sh**e".......................welcome to O/S racing  :2funny:

To me O/s racing is about having a go and meeting up with other guys who share a love of O/S its not about........clipping in, carbon fibre forks etc.........Its about having a laugh and using plenty of deep heat  :2funny:

it sounds like its for me then!!!

bmxbob

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2008, 09:43 PM »

Bob

hijack welcomed bob! love to know what other bits you are bolting to that haro!

cheers, well so far its :- White alloy hubbed skyways (my old ones)
                                      Haro fusion seat post clamp (nos ebay)
                                      Elina UL seat and post combo (for sale section here)
                                      Black tuff neck style, lol stem (for sale section here)
                                      Mongoose Pro class rear brake (came on a blue max)
                                      Three piece crank (for sale section here)
                                      Tuff neck ring                    "
                                      SX or DX pedals                "
                                      White AME grips                "

Need some race bars, maybe GT i think  :daumenhoch:

What you boltin onto yours ?

moley

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2008, 09:44 PM »
Watch this guys!!

Were still L platers!!  :D

http://www.ossbmxracing.co.uk/Reports/08NorthWinterRound4/OSBMX.Manchester.Rnd4.Winter08.B.Final.avi

If we can race then anyone can!!

It doesn't matter what shape you are or what experience you have!!

I have never raced before this year and I was out of action since May due to a foot injury.  Although I have race since May, I haven't been training due to my foot.  After Manchester I have started Training because that Track in Manchester nearly killed me!!   And MotomagII doesn't look too happy either!!  :LolLolLolLol:

Make sure you have pads!!

Take it easy!

And above all else, have fun!!

See you at MK09!!  :daumenhoch:

PS. I found the Haro Group One RS1 a little small for my height 5'10".  Use a Pro XL stem to stop ya legs bashin' on the bars!!  :daumenhoch:

bmxbob

« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2008, 09:55 PM »
doh, i only get the sound track  :D

is there anything i have to install to get it to play ?

karlos100

« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2008, 09:56 PM »
The build consists of>> Nos haro group 1,black pleggy hub sealed tuffs,redline 180 flights,tuf neck chainring,se black bars,black suntour power stem,black nikyo headset,dia compe 901 brake,haro seat clamp,comp 3 copys,ame tri grips and some used haro dx style pedals. not sure of freewheel yet. the tuf neck chainwheel is 43t which i think is a bit small. im hoping someone might give me an idea on gearing as im big with long legs!

Tony 1-4

« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2008, 09:58 PM »
I just started back this year after 25 years! I have had 2 races on a Haro Group 1 RS2 with a really basic set up. I was over 18 stone and 5' 11". The bike had a 1 piece crank and 30 quid tuff copies. I jump anything (as a few people will have realised now!) and frame, forks and sh*t wheels have all lived to tell the tale.

Frame was a little small but I got on OK with it for a starter bike. Now have a Haro Pro XXL :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Love it to bits. Should be getting my first race on it this weekend at the Norwich winter regional.

karlos100

« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2008, 10:03 PM »
I just started back this year after 25 years! I have had 2 races on a Haro Group 1 RS2 with a really basic set up. I was over 18 stone and 5' 11". The bike had a 1 piece crank and 30 quid tuff copies. I jump anything (as a few people will have realised now!) and frame, forks and sh*t wheels have all lived to tell the tale.

Frame was a little small but I got on OK with it for a starter bike. Now have a Haro Pro XXL :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Love it to bits. Should be getting my first race on it this weekend at the Norwich winter regional.

now im worried....bike too small!!!! :'(

Tony 1-4

« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2008, 10:07 PM »
Don't panic. It's amazing what a little adjustment can do. I changed the stem from a crappy Win stem to a big long GT stem. Chucked my bars forward another inch and hey presto, you've gained yourself another 2 inches. As the missus says "It's amazing what a difference your extra 2 inches makes" ;D

karlos100

« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2008, 10:13 PM »
 :2funny: :2funny:

moley

« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2008, 10:14 PM »
doh, i only get the sound track  :D

is there anything i have to install to get it to play ?

If you can't play the file then you probably need to download the appropriate CODEC.

Try downloading and installing one of these :-

K Lite CODEC Pack

Offline kdw712

• 900 Air
    • kdw712 bmx adventures in old school
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2008, 10:25 PM »
heres some footage from hersden
prob from 06 i would think

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=FdmPZOdFv3Y
cheers Kev
{ wanted : "Red Haro Handle" brake lever link to my trade post }

dialledbikes

« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2008, 08:30 AM »
Good to see some new blood coming into the old school series  :daumenhoch:

It's a great way back into BMX.

mileyboy

« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2008, 09:21 AM »
I'm thinking about it too-my mate wants to be able to do a backflip by next summer-he's clearly insane-I think the racing would be fun! :)

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  thinkin of havin a bash at o/s racing....where to practice etc

gfxgfx
gfx gfx