gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 22, 2024, 02:55 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  bike weights and balance
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: bike weights and balance  (Read 635 times)

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
bike weights and balance
« on: December 10, 2008, 07:03 PM »
with the bikes getting back to oldschool weights and below
does getting the bike balanced ie friont to rear matter  never rearly thought about it
but just moving my new one the front is rearly lite compared to the rear  ,i dont much notice when
riding as i dont fly about but is it best to keep it more even.?????

fouronethreeoh!

Re: bike weights and balance
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2008, 08:05 PM »
Well i would say that with the centre of gravity more central the bike would feel more neutral.
Although seeing that the weight bias wouldnt amount to more than a couple of pounds, i doubt it would have much effect.

Light bikes can tend to feel a little unstable compared to heavy  as they respond to small rider inputs in steering/weight distribution.

Offline Gary72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2008, 08:31 PM »
Dan, my bike used to feel back heavy if I picked it up by the bars and seat. Just changed the seat from a shadow crow with shadow post to a hoffman pivotal post with shadow slimmer seat. Nearly a 1lb in weight difference. The bike feels more balanced now, but didnt notice any real difference on Saturday night, first time out with the new seat. Hoping it will help me with stalls and grinds as I normally seem to not lift the back high enough. The whole bike is now just under 25lb dont think I wont to go any less really.
Gary

JT71

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2008, 11:58 AM »
not sure but there must be somehting to it because in Phil's SBC write up it tells about them making the front end out of lighter metal so the bike balanced on it's BB shell.

on the practical side i lightened the front of mine by half a kilo by changing the forks and until i got used to it could feel the front end lifting just carving the ramps.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  bike weights and balance

gfxgfx
gfx gfx