gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 22, 2024, 02:37 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  fitting headset and BB
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: fitting headset and BB  (Read 682 times)

karlos100

fitting headset and BB
« on: December 06, 2008, 10:16 AM »
Whats the easiest way? I fitted a headset at work using a press and bits of wood but thought it must be easier another way as the cups kept on going on the pizzz as was pressing them in. I used a small film of grease to aid them in too but it took two of us 15-20 mins to eventually get the buggers in. i heard of people using wood and hammers etc but dont wanna be wreckin a frame after over 20 years sat in its box  :idiot2:

thecrooch

Re: fitting headset and BB
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2008, 10:45 AM »
a press is always the best way - you can buy a cheap enough tool to do it.  they always look like they will go in on the pizz but end up sorting themselves out in the end

as for BB's i find if you use a press you can squash the bearings so best use a rubber mallet and wood

mr.magoo

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2008, 07:02 PM »
Just like getting 'em out, i have no patience, rubber mallet and wood, if i'm feeling good, if not just the mallet :LolLolLolLol:

Juju

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2008, 07:13 PM »
I was on youtube some guy made his own press's out of a couple of big washers and a bottom bracket spindle.

Bolted one washer tightly to the spindle using a couple of nuts, then the other washer is tightened by a nut to actually press the shells in.

Looked easy to me.

TorkerJones

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2008, 07:51 PM »
I used a wooden mallet on my Torker restoration - using a wooden workbench to rest the bike on.  Friction surfaces all seemed clean and it went together a treat.

I'm just trying to decide what grease to use now.  I have some comma car grease, but thought better.  I'm off to Halfrauds in the morning to get some finish line synthetic grease - it seems well recommended.

mr.magoo

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2008, 07:57 PM »
yeah but not cheap, bitd my dad used to bring me home big tubs of machine grease from his factory, now i use lythium? grease from halfrauds, but wow...i did not know it was so costly... when that runs out i'm reverting back to cheap... something like
cant believe its not butter :LolLolLolLol:

Goose1

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2008, 08:15 PM »
I knocked this up at work.Bit industrial I know but it's perfect for both jobs :daumenhoch:

Offline brass monkey!

• BMX Overlord
  • BRASS MONKEY, JUNKIE, THAT FUNKY MONKEY !
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2008, 08:20 PM »
wood 'n' mallet  ;)
MONKEYBISCUITS RIP !!

karlos100

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2008, 08:25 PM »
I knocked this up at work.Bit industrial I know but it's perfect for both jobs :daumenhoch:

thought about makin something similar but being a frikkin perfectionist i didnt want to leave any marks on the headset as its black to match the frame. shame when i unravelled the frame it was scratched anyway and needs touchin up in a couple of places. tut! next week im pressing a chrome tange one into my other frame. i think that will go bit better...hopefully!

mr.magoo

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2008, 08:42 PM »
only frameset i've ever marked using just the mallet was a can spray painted one, works everytime for me, gently does it gently taps going round in circles to try to keep even as it goes in :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  fitting headset and BB

gfxgfx
gfx gfx