gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 22, 2024, 11:30 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Odd Crank Arms
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Odd Crank Arms  (Read 568 times)

Offline Wayne Ryder

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
Odd Crank Arms
« on: December 01, 2008, 10:55 AM »
I just bought some cranks via FleaBay, and after cleaning them up it turns out one arm's 175mm & the other's 180mm.
Annoying, and for a display bike it probably wouldn't be an issue. Trouble is, they were bought to be used.
Would I notice there was something amiss if I'd not spotted the difference?

Alternatively, does anyone have a 175mm or 180mm arm for an Odyssey Black Widow crank they can spare? Colour isn't an issue as I can strip/paint them.

J Rolla

Re: Odd Crank Arms
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2008, 09:32 PM »
I can't imagine it would feel much different, no one's two legs are the same length anyway  :LolLolLolLol:
So if the shorter crank happens to be on the longer leg side... you're laughing  :daumenhoch:

Offline Wayne Ryder

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2008, 11:03 PM »
No such luck, Jeff. I checked.

It seems like the previous owner used them for some time without noticing, both arms look to be a similar age & condition. They're annodised blue, a colour I've never seen before on these cranks.
If one arm broke, they managed to replace it with another blue one somehow but couldn't get the right length, or thought they had.
Or maybe they were mismatched out of the box.
Guess we'll never know.

I'll keep an eye out.
The seller says they'll take them back but you just know a spare arm will become available the minute they're posted.

J Rolla

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2008, 01:17 AM »
You should just try them out mate, if they feel fine to you then there's no problem. I can imagine hunting down a matching arm will just be a headache. Don't mention it to your mates and see if they notice anything when they ride it. As they're used you could always just take them off and return them if you think they aren't right since the guy said it's cool

Offline HUTCHMAN

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2008, 11:11 PM »
tbh,i raced a "pair"of cook bros cranks for a couple of years before i noticed that they were different lengths,176&181.did'nt do me any harm.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Odd Crank Arms

gfxgfx
gfx gfx