gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975756 Posts in 138934 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 26, 2024, 05:18 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Lopes on 3 speed BMX with Disc brake?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Lopes on 3 speed BMX with Disc brake?  (Read 2418 times)

karlos100

Re: Lopes on 3 speed BMX with Disc brake?
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2008, 07:46 PM »
im gonna stay out of this cuz i know nuffin about nuffin...i still got stabilizers!! :uglystupid2:

lodge

« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2008, 07:50 PM »
im gonna stay out of this cuz i know nuffin about nuffin...i still got stabilizers!! :uglystupid2:

Stabilizers are fine as long as you aint got gears or lycra.

Offline Flatcap

• Flip-Whip
  • No thank you, Turkish; I'm sweet enough!
  • Rated:
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2008, 09:15 PM »
Load of bollox!!

Daz.  :daumenhoch:
Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified in this case by an 'orrible cnut... ME!

Offline Bigplinky

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2008, 09:49 PM »
Trying to get one of these working at the minute for a laugh at MK09. With a 38 as the low gear I can't see much advantage on a steep starting hill but should provide amusement on Saturday afternoon (fook racing with it on  :LolLolLolLol:)

« Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 10:03 PM by Bigplinky »
Why oh why do I still buy kids bikes!

hooga1975

« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2008, 09:56 PM »
Disk brakes are well over the top for a bmx, it is not like you are at full speed going down the side of a mountain.

As for the gears, what a waste of time, a 44-16 ratio on a bmx it fine on the track.  If you need to go faster then pedal harder

Offline Gary72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2008, 10:06 PM »
Have one of these in the cupboard, no idea how to set it up.

Thought gears in BMX got banned in the 80's??

IMO no gears or suspension. If they are allowed think what our olympic track will have to be like, the Bejing one was mental as it was :uglystupid2:

darkersomeday

« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2008, 10:31 PM »

think what our olympic track will have to be like, the Bejing one was mental as it was :uglystupid2:

downhill track maybe?

oh wait mtb's have those dont they? :LolLolLolLol:

as soon as the big corporate "bike" companies come sniffing round bmx they always fook it up,
they think they can make it better and more expensive, make more money etc,
they'll never understand, lopes is just like their little bitch,

that fooker will ride anything for a few quid ;)

hall of fame?
but the rest of the bmx world says "lopes who?"

after seeing those shit bmx sus forks in the 90's, then clips dominate and that carbon gt monstrocity recently i cant take bmx racing seriously anyway anymore,

bmxer4ever

« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2008, 10:51 PM »
And the winnah is.....
Disk brakes are well over the top for a bmx, it is not like you are at full speed going down the side of a mountain.

As for the gears, what a waste of time, a 44-16 ratio on a bmx it fine on the track.  If you need to go faster then pedal harder

proclass35

« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2008, 08:09 AM »
The key word here is 'racing'. As long as people are doing this, there will be people trying to gain an advantage by whatever means possible. In my experience, that's the nature of racing and thats the whole point of it. The solutions that riders and companies come up with to win a race aren't always pretty or conform to our accepted mechanical or aesthetic knowledge, but if it wins the race, and is within the rules, who cares? (think when wings were introduced on F1 cars and the first carbon track bikes appeared). It's not long before these things become the accepted norm.
As for not taking BMX racing seriously because somebody wants to try something new, I find that a real insult to the incredible talent and commitment that I see out on the track every weekend. I'm not saying that I think gears will win races, that clips are a good idea, or that carbon frames are beautiful, but if somebody wants to try them then so what? If we all rode round on the same steel bikes with the same geometry, same heavy old components and same gearing it would be a pretty boring and stagnant sport. What next? a man walking round with a white flag in front of the riders on penny farthings? We should welcome new developments as progress, use what works and discard the rest. And accept that while some manufacturers will continue to produce 'classic' BMX products to keep us happy, others will want to push the envelope a little more and see whats possible...

moley

« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2008, 08:19 AM »
Well done Jamie lad!!  :daumenhoch:

A well thought out and heartfelt commentary!!

When your sober, you make a lot of sense!!  ;)

proclass35

« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2008, 08:26 AM »
Moley, as I typed the bit about pennyfarthings and white flags, I couldn't help thinking about that Old School b-final at Manchester!

moley

« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2008, 08:36 AM »
Moley, as I typed the bit about pennyfarthings and white flags, I couldn't help thinking about that Old School b-final at Manchester!

I was genuinely being nice to you!!  :angel:

And then you have to diss me!!

Shame on you!!  :'(

proclass35

« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2008, 08:40 AM »
Sorry Moley. :daumenhoch:

moley

« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2008, 08:41 AM »
Sorry Moley. :daumenhoch:

Too late now!!  :(

Your off my Christmas Card list!!!   :D

dialledbikes

« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2008, 10:58 AM »
Blame the UCI, BCF, ABA, NBL and all the other federations for not banning gears and clips and trying to make BMX more like MTB, track and road cycling.

Offline Dex Dexter

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2008, 11:35 AM »
I'm not happy with this at all.

I'm not keen on clips and I certainly don't support gears.
Yes - it is important to push the sport and technology can help here.  We all like the better bikes and parts that have been developed through the ages.

BUT...

You need boundaries.  You need something that keeps BMX as BMX and not another form of cycling.
Think of all the great sports in the world - the classics don't change.

Judo still requires holds and throws.  No one thought it right to allow the 3 inch death punch did they?
Velodrome cycling still requires single speed and massive legs.
Chess still needs you to use your brain and skills in pattern recognition - not a computer.

BMX is single speed, hell for leather, use your brain when choosing your gears, know how to handle your bike and jump without it being stuck to you with clips.

Dex

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2008, 11:36 AM »
Blame the UCI, BCF, ABA, NBL and all the other federations for not banning gears and clips and trying to make BMX more like MTB, track and road cycling.

Not sure what you are getting at Mike, is it the ruling bodies that have not clamped down on new innovations or that they have failed to recognise the ptential for a crossover between the varous disciplines and therefore allowing too much of a merge to occur?

Better to crash and burn than fade away

Lazarou

« Reply #43 on: December 02, 2008, 11:46 AM »
I'm not happy with this at all.

I'm not keen on clips and I certainly don't support gears.
Yes - it is important to push the sport and technology can help here.  We all like the better bikes and parts that have been developed through the ages.

BUT...

You need boundaries.  You need something that keeps BMX as BMX and not another form of cycling.
Think of all the great sports in the world - the classics don't change.

Judo still requires holds and throws.  No one thought it right to allow the 3 inch death punch did they?
Velodrome cycling still requires single speed and massive legs.
Chess still needs you to use your brain and skills in pattern recognition - not a computer.

BMX is single speed, hell for leather, use your brain when choosing your gears, know how to handle your bike and jump without it being stuck to you with clips.

Dex

AMEN!! That's exactly whats in my head but feeble brain no let words come out....

SaMAlex

« Reply #44 on: December 02, 2008, 11:57 AM »
fook lopes and his gay gears,

the guys a w@nker anyway,

Joe, Last night I got the full story of the Lopes Vs Ozzer pro death match.
I will tell you the whole thing on sat night  :daumenhoch: You will love it.

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #45 on: December 02, 2008, 12:03 PM »

You can't say that and not tell the rest of us  ;D

SaMAlex

« Reply #46 on: December 02, 2008, 12:09 PM »

You can't say that and not tell the rest of us  ;D

Yeah, I just cant be bothered to type it all, esp on a thread that is really about how stupid his bike is, not how stupid HE is!

It kinda boils down to Lopes was takin the piss out of a very drunk Steve Geal, so Ozzer tipped his pint over Lopes ... causing him to totally lose it.

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #47 on: December 02, 2008, 12:16 PM »
Yeah, I just cant be bothered to type it all, esp on a thread that is really about how stupid his bike is, not how stupid HE is!

It kinda boils down to Lopes was takin the piss out of a very drunk Steve Geal, so Ozzer tipped his pint over Lopes ... causing him to totally lose it.

OOHHHH sounds good, Steve Geal is a legend so I can imagine Ozzer went into one on Lopes then  ;D.  Did Lopes start thowing punches or what and did Ozzer kick his ass?

dialledbikes

« Reply #48 on: December 02, 2008, 12:38 PM »

Not sure what you are getting at Mike, is it the ruling bodies that have not clamped down on new innovations or that they have failed to recognise the ptential for a crossover between the varous disciplines and therefore allowing too much of a merge to occur?

Although Lopes and King stand guilty as charged for introducing non-BMX equipment like gears and clips into BMX racing, if the rules around gears and clip in pedals categorically stated such equipment was banned then they wouldn't even have been able to line up on the gate.

Lopes hasn't broken any rules but the sanctions have seen how he has bent them, so if they really wanted to banish this stuff from BMX they could by implementing clear rules about it.  Whether this is due to ignorance or some hidden agenda, I don't know.  I don't agree with Lopes' equipment choice but it's too easy to make him a scapegoat for clips and gears.  If the BMX racing community don't want them, the sanctions should reflect those wishes by banning them.

BCF had a chance to do it with clips but chose not to.  They also had the chance to ban geared and suspended mountain bikes from BMX races, but chose not to.  So we know they'll do feck all about banning gears on BMX bikes either.  Hopefully most people will have the sense to keep BMX 20/24, rigid and singlespeed.

SaMAlex

« Reply #49 on: December 02, 2008, 12:47 PM »
OOHHHH sounds good, Steve Geal is a legend so I can imagine Ozzer went into one on Lopes then  ;D.  Did Lopes start thowing punches or what and did Ozzer kick his ass?

Lopes dragged Ozzer out of the place (he is only small) and was about to really set on him but Lewis King (UK MTB legend) got in there and stoped it. Later on Lewis was seen to be "hunting" for Lopes but lucky for everyone, he didnt find him.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Lopes on 3 speed BMX with Disc brake?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx