gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 22, 2024, 08:52 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  what colour
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: what colour  (Read 2748 times)

Offline scott30

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
what colour
« on: November 25, 2008, 10:28 AM »
hi all just got some black/gold ammaco decals from danny whiteley for my ammaco its currently red but needs a full resto so was wondering if any of you had any ideas what colour i should do it thanks scott :daumenhoch:

Offline phantom photon

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
Re: what colour
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2008, 11:20 AM »
What ammaco is it  ???

Offline scott30

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2008, 11:25 AM »
here it is dont know what model it is got it off sawzall/phil awhile ago

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2008, 05:50 PM »
Looks like a goose to me mate  :daumenhoch:

Ammaco had a more sweeping gusset and different dropout (I think   :-\ )

Take a close up pic of the gusset and also underneath the bottom bracket (for the serial no.) and we'll tell ya for sure  ;)

It's got the earlier dropouts so probs 79-81 ish if it is a goose.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2008, 12:23 AM by bobafett »
mongoositis - an expensive disease......

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2008, 06:04 PM »
Just had another look and it looks in your pic that there is an extra brace weld off the bottom of the seat tube - earlier models of mongoose 76 ish had these but they looked different to the one on youre bike (more triangular with a hole in it) also the models that had these braces all had coaster tabs by the rear drop out - which yours doesn't have  :-\
Hmmmm - try and get a close up pic of the welds on the gusset and a piccy of the serial on the BB if you can and we'll do some sherlock holmes  ;D

dannywhiteley

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2008, 07:59 PM »
hi all just got some black/gold ammaco decals from danny whiteley for my ammaco

News to me...?  Ive never sold any Ammaco decals.  You must have me mixed up with someone else.

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2008, 10:32 PM »
Done some more digging and still not sure  :-\ Back end looks all goose but there is something about the front gusset and that BB gusset that don't look quite right for a goose  - deffo like to see that serial number - i'm intrigued now  ;D

Offline scott30

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2008, 10:58 PM »
sorry it was danlightening i got the decals off  :idiot2: sorry dannywhiteley  ;) the bike is in the loft somewhere will dig it out on the weekend and get some more pics up :daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 11:12 PM by scott30 »

GREMLIN

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2008, 11:26 PM »
I was gonna say that's a Puch Invader you have there.
Until I dug out a pic of my one I have here, and remembered what mine looks like before I banished it to the attic  :D.
The two frames do share a lot of similar parts tho, including the cut-out behind the bottom bracket for a kick stand  :(...   G.  ;)

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2008, 12:22 AM »
I was gonna say that's a Puch Invader you have there.
The two frames do share a lot of similar parts tho, including the cut-out behind the bottom bracket for a kick stand 

Yeah I noticed that - thought someone had just attacked the box section with a hack-saw  ;D But that box section definitely looks the same as your puch (similar forks as well i see) - but his also has the triagular box section behind the top of the seat tube making it look like a goose - but if that kick stand cut out is original to the bike then it's definiately NOT a mongoose hmmmm.
Maybe it is some sort of ammaco after all - not one i've seen though  :-\ any ammaco experts shed any light ? Maybe it is a Puch but a different model ?
Definitely very reminicent of a late 70s goose though :-X

scott we need more pics  :LolLolLolLol:
« Last Edit: November 27, 2008, 12:26 AM by bobafett »

Offline Mattdub

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2008, 09:19 AM »
I'm no Ammaco expert ( apart from knowing the obvious mongoose link bitd ) but if Phil ( sawzall ) thinks it's one then he'll probably be right , he's been around old school bmx for quite some time  ;) .

Scott30 , best to ask for details ref an ad for Ammacos ref colour .

Black/Gold decals would look good on many colours , white/red etc
« Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 09:22 AM by Mattdub »

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2008, 12:45 AM »
Scott - having looked through those ammaco catalogues mate it could be this 1984 Silver Star - looks very similar - hard to tell if it has that brace cos the chain wheel is in the way but it looks like something might be there ? Bloody hell that looks like a late 70's or very early 80's goose frame though ! With the year being 1984 i wonder with them being kind of a UK sister company, mongoose let them have their earlier design since they had moved onto the looptail calis n experts by then ?
Still be interesting to see some close up pics of the welds (particularly round the front gusset) and the serial number under the BB (if there is one  ;D )
Noticed the forks look the same too ;)
Here she is:
« Last Edit: November 30, 2008, 12:51 AM by bobafett »

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2008, 12:58 AM »
Just to throw a final cat amongst the pigeons mate - I had a trawl through some of my mongoose picture folders on my PC and found this lil fella - it was on ebay Australia a few months back and was being sold as a "racergoose" guy said it was an 80's frame but was an australian mongoose copy from back in the day. It's got the right shape, dropouts and brace weld 
:10_2_12:
Right i'll p!ss off and leave you alone now mate so you can build your late 70's mid 80's mongoose-ammaco-racergoose-puch-special-edition-freestyle-racer 
:LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol:

« Last Edit: November 30, 2008, 01:00 AM by bobafett »

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  what colour

gfxgfx
gfx gfx