gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 22, 2024, 12:39 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Does anyone do re-pop dia compe washers ?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Does anyone do re-pop dia compe washers ?  (Read 1749 times)

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
Does anyone do re-pop dia compe washers ?
« on: November 28, 2008, 03:01 PM »
You know the ones - little red dia-compe labelled washers ? any repop craftsmen mastered them yet ?
mongoositis - an expensive disease......

Offline Mattdub

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
Re: Does anyone do re-pop dia compe washers ?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2008, 03:26 PM »
Put up a wanted ad , I got one last year after an ad on here  ;) .

Don't really want to encourage the re-popping of more stuff !  :-\ ;D ;)

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2008, 03:51 PM »
Put up a wanted ad , I got one last year after an ad on here  ;) .

Don't really want to encourage the re-popping of more stuff !  :-\ ;D ;)

There was a guy on ebay in the states a while back selling a job lot of "DiaCompe repair / maintenance kit" had spare washers nuts n everything sh!t load of 'em and all - but he wouldn't ship to the UK  :(
I'm not desperate for it just with there being DC decals available thought someone may have done washers or washer decals to help in repairing DC survivors   ???

Offline meticulous

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2008, 06:37 PM »
i had to buy a complete wrong colour calipers just to get the mint washer.... :idiot2:
R.I.P  O.M. Far short of the finish line...

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2008, 09:04 PM »
i had to buy a complete wrong colour calipers just to get the mint washer.... :idiot2:

Ouch  :shocked:

Offline Glynnyboy

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2008, 08:42 AM »
I made an initial enquiray about haveing a decal made to put on the washer. No luck yet as i think with it being so small it's difficult to do. If i find owt out i will let you know.

Offline se-bmxer

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2008, 08:58 AM »
You know the ones - little red dia-compe labelled washers ? any repop craftsmen mastered them yet ?

how many do you want ?

Offline QUADROPHENIA

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2008, 08:58 AM »

how many do you want ?

3 please ginger

Offline se-bmxer

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2008, 09:09 AM »

how many do you want ?

3 please ginger

;D ;D  wait in line  :knuppel2:

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2008, 04:26 PM »

how many do you want ?

3 please ginger

:LolLolLolLol:

Erm... I could do with a few really I've got a couple of DC 890 sets in various states of restoration that will need 'em and maybe a couple in case i f@ck up the application of them  :uglystupid2:
Say a sheet with 10 on ?
How much d'ya think  ???
Cheers  :daumenhoch:

Offline Mattdub

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2008, 05:12 PM »

how many do you want ?

3 please ginger

:LolLolLolLol:

Erm... I could do with a few really I've got a couple of DC 890 sets in various states of restoration that will need 'em and maybe a couple in case i f@ck up the application of them  :uglystupid2:
Say a sheet with 10 on ?
How much d'ya think  ???
Cheers  :daumenhoch:

I think Jai is offering you the washers , not repro decals  ;) .

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2008, 08:22 PM »
I think Jai is offering you the washers , not repro decals  ;) .

Damn that red wine ..... :LolLolLolLol:

Err... right then i'll take whatever you've got ..... if the price is right  :daumenhoch:

Offline Glynnyboy

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2008, 06:36 AM »
I emailed retrospect about these and just got in to find it had been replied to.
The decals for the 890/1020 are in the process of being made as we type. So watch this space, or rather marks ebay shop/ website. Retrospect bmx.  :daumenhoch:

Offline Mattdub

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2008, 08:01 AM »
I emailed retrospect about these and just got in to find it had been replied to.
The decals for the 890/1020 are in the process of being made as we type. So watch this space, or rather marks ebay shop/ website. Retrospect bmx.  :daumenhoch:

Good news there then , something else being re-popped because some peeps just can't wait to find the real thing  ::) . "I just gotta finish my build in 5 minutes , oh I hope it won't look sh1t because it took me no time at all & I bought as much re-pop/remanufactured stuff as possible"  :idiot2: .

Offline Jt

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2008, 08:03 AM »

Good news there then , something else being re-popped because some peeps just can't wait to find the real thing  ::) . "I just gotta finish my build in 5 minutes , oh I hope it won't look sh1t because it took me no time at all & I bought as much re-pop/remanufactured stuff as possible"  :idiot2: .

some people want a cheap/quick fix mate. nothing wrong with that..

simply isnt enough stuff to go around.

cant beat a good repop, and if you dont have a choice, why not?

Offline Mattdub

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2008, 08:23 AM »

some people want a cheap/quick fix mate. nothing wrong with that..

simply isnt enough stuff to go around.

cant beat a good repop, and if you dont have a choice, why not?

No choice ? , see Jai's post in this thread .

Offline Jt

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2008, 01:09 PM »
i did see that, but your post wasnt on about the washers? it was a generalised purist moan about the whole repop 'thing'

so i had a non purist generalised reply...

both good points of view depending on your standpoint ???

Jt :daumenhoch:

Goose1

« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2008, 01:28 PM »
I got a set of 6 washer decals, but they have to be cut out with a scalpel, I used them when restoring some 890's......

« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 01:31 PM by Goose1 »

Offline Glynnyboy

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2008, 01:36 PM »
In this case and probably a few others, the re-pop argument is complete cobblers. If we are going to be totally politically correct can anyone explain the difference in -
Getting hold of a rare old f/f  haveing it fixed and re-painted to look as original as poss, then haveing re-pop decals put on it.
Or bringing back a worn set of dc's by either paint or re-anno then cleaning up the hardware and putting a re-pop decal on the washer or calliper arm.
If this argument had any foundation at all there would be no restored bikes full stop.
Technically anything that is restored is re-pop. After all the fact that is needs resto means in some way the original finish is damaged to the point that the said finish needs to be re-popped in order to acheive the resto. Sometimes it's not just about a cheap fix it's about wanting to make an original piece look new.
I don't see many survivors in bike of the month. Just restored bikes with the original finish re-produced (re-popped)
Although i am talking complete poo poo so lets just skip all the dc's that don't have a decent condition decal on eh?
Sorry for getting on my  :angrysoapbox: I have just got up off my nights and had to vent my short fuse somewhere  :tickedoff:   ::) >:( 8) :coolsmiley: :smitten: :daumenhoch:     Phew i feel better know, off rant  :rant:

Offline Mattdub

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2008, 01:42 PM »
In this case and probably a few others, the re-pop argument is complete cobblers. If we are going to be totally politically correct can anyone explain the difference in -
Getting hold of a rare old f/f  haveing it fixed and re-painted to look as original as poss, then haveing re-pop decals put on it.
Or bringing back a worn set of dc's by either paint or re-anno then cleaning up the hardware and putting a re-pop decal on the washer or calliper arm.
If this argument had any foundation at all there would be no restored bikes full stop.
Technically anything that is restored is re-pop. After all the fact that is needs resto means in some way the original finish is damaged to the point that the said finish needs to be re-popped in order to acheive the resto. Sometimes it's not just about a cheap fix it's about wanting to make an original piece look new.
I don't see many survivors in bike of the month. Just restored bikes with the original finish re-produced (re-popped)
Although i am talking complete poo poo so lets just skip all the dc's that don't have a decent condition decal on eh?
Sorry for getting on my  :angrysoapbox: I have just got up off my nights and had to vent my short fuse somewhere  :tickedoff:   ::) >:( 8) :coolsmiley: :smitten: :daumenhoch:     Phew i feel better know, off rant  :rant:

Completely missed the point I'm afraid , why reproduce something when the originals are still available ? .

Oh & restoration is not reproduction  ::) .

Offline Glynnyboy

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2008, 02:10 PM »

Completely missed the point I'm afraid , why reproduce something when the originals are still available ? .

Oh & restoration is not reproduction  ::) .

Sorry, i worded that wrongly. What i should have said is that an effective full resto can very rarely be acheived without re-pop coming into the mix somewhere along the line. On the frames that have gone through restoration most of the decals are re-pop aren't they? Or have the guys aquired original decals from bitd on all the resto's?
Also quite simply if all the dc's in a sorry state get re-stored i believe there simply isn't enough of the original washers to go round. So like an effective f/f resto re-pops are essential for an effective calliper resto.
I didn't miss the point at all  ::)

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2008, 08:28 PM »
Bloody hell - been offline for a few days and all hell brakes loose !
Right then :

1. The chill pills are in the post  :LolLolLolLol:
2. I only wanted re-pop as originals could not be found  :daumenhoch:
3. Jai has kindly got in touch and offered me some washers.
4. Jai I will send you a PM right now.

Pheeew - anyone would think i was asking for a re-pop proclass frame  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline Glynnyboy

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2008, 08:32 PM »
Bloody hell - been offline for a few days and all hell brakes loose !
Right then :

1. The chill pills are in the post  :LolLolLolLol:
2. I only wanted re-pop as originals could not be found  :daumenhoch:
3. Jai has kindly got in touch and offered me some washers.
4. Jai I will send you a PM right now.

Pheeew - anyone would think i was asking for a re-pop proclass frame  :LolLolLolLol:

I am looking forward to my pills arriving in the post tomorrow  ;D Cheers  :coolsmiley: :daumenhoch: :LolLolLolLol:

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2008, 01:05 AM »
I am looking forward to my pills arriving in the post tomorrow  ;D Cheers  :coolsmiley: :daumenhoch: :LolLolLolLol:

They're NOS chill pills as well mate - not re-pops  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline jT Racing

• BMX Overlord
  • i like bikes. :/
  • Rated:
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2008, 01:10 PM »
decals are different. re-popped stuff is just not the same. it's a collectors thing.
ding dong

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Does anyone do re-pop dia compe washers ?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx