gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 25, 2024, 08:30 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Mid School BMX (>87) 1989 to 2003 (<05)  |  Mid School ( Keep the faith )  |  Story about . . . a toolbag????!
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Story about . . . a toolbag????!  (Read 1241 times)

laughinggravy

Story about . . . a toolbag????!
« on: November 25, 2008, 07:55 PM »

So, I break out the tool bag to build a bday present bike for one of my boys. I’ve had this tool bag for 11 years- no I’m not OCD or got some weird date-time-continuum-possessions thing going on, I know I got it then, cos it was in the shop when I took over (97). It replaced my classic open canti lever hinge metal tool box my dad gave me back in must be 81/82, with stickers, Skyway, Mongoose, Oakley (when it was cool….oh never mind), I still have this box, (obviously, some one who can write 4 figures on his tool boxes isn’t going to be so callous as to cast old ones aside, eh?!) , but now it just contains tools that are so shit/knackered/obscure they’ll never see the light of day, the motor bike chain off my 90’s T.A, and Craig Campbells old mallet stem. Sometimes you just can’t part with stuff. If you’re still under, oh, say 25, don’t let this happen to you.

Back to the ‘new’ tool bag

Open it up…. jesus! How am I going to find anything, what a frickin mess!

At work, we have this thing for the tools, a big box of asst used bits and heavy duty tools, and a small plastic tray thing, like the ones they have in a ‘proper’ bike shop workshop - slotted on the wall - full of ‘no.2 left thread derailleur docking screws’ or whatever the fook they have in those places.
Anyways, this plastic container is meant to contain only the necessities to build a bike from box, you know 5 and 6 mil allens, and the various open-enders and sockets you need.

+++Of course, in your own ‘toolkit’ bitd, you’d have the obligatory (and, mandatory) mole grip, tooooo big for any normal application adjustable, and maybe a house brick (profile crank installation, booyaka dread eye! Exeter joke. From the time dready kev pioneered this technique.) +++

Back to the work tools, so I’m on the case to Gav, I turn my back on the ‘essential’ tool box, and next time I pick it up, I’m wading through a hammer, asst bits of chain link, maybe a cast off bar end, one of Skinners stripped nuts…..ha ha!....... just loads of crap. A 9/16 allen for profile end bolts? I might be wrong, but last time I checked, a Ruption Force didn’t come with Profiles as OEM stock. Irony being, what’s in my personal kit -----

So, to the bag. Here’s a run down of some of the more character laden amongst them…

Mole grip. Pride of place, or shame of place. When hasn’t one of these ubiquitous bad boys saved your ass. This specimen has done battle with everything from a Standard Lengthy drop out (yep) to everyday uses like an 8mil pinch bolt (joke).

Adjustable. Nothing to say, except probably been used every time the bag’s been opened.

Knackered screw driver, seen action levering/hitting, sometimes even screwing, numerous parts/places (easy..)

Length of threaded bar, guess a spare spindle for a P.E. hub. The one that was developed before the G-Sport one, used a push thru spindle instead of axle bolts. No seizing probs. Why the beejesus is this still in here? My ride hasn’t rolled on P.E.’s this millennium! (yes, I read/read, grindstate.com, hence the ‘my ride’ and ‘rolled’ N.Y.C. hipsterism. Like that wordy - read; read.)

Tube of grease. Must have.

Enough chain to anchor the Q.E 2.

What is definitely part of an 80’s roof bar clamp. Who knows? An ill fated fork mounted peg packer? Revolutionary chain adjuster? Or, off one of my bangers; of course your bike tool kit is the only one you have, so when the car’s up the swanny, the first port of call is the t-rusty tool stash.

Da Kine ratchet snowboard tool. Again inherited with the shop. Never used. Course when I eventually got round to going snow boarding, this year, (remember this bag dates to 97, god), and hired a board that the binding position made me feel like an 80’s legs akimbo x-up, where was my tool? Home. Had to search for a tool point, no Phillips, ask the ski school chap, who shows me the quick release no tools required adjustment on the bindings. I feel real knowledgeable at this point.

Cap off non existent WD40. Shame, cos like the mole grip, WD40 can wield magic like Merlin never even possessed.  Hey, ‘WD40 can’ another great wordy.

Spoke. When was the last time you halted a session to replace A SPOKE?

Keep it in there just in case.

And…………sockets, numerous allen keys to fit owt from a pre 6mil red neck to the diddy one needed for Knarps, washers- asst in rustiness never usefulness, tyre levers (never spoons), skateboard rubbers, bit more chain, thecheapestcrappiestchaintoolyoueverdidsee, feeler gauge set (see cars, earlier), freewheel remover, ha!, the tube bit off the deceased can of WD40, and this –

The wedge/cable pinch bolt arrangement for a Pitbull. Been there from  THE LAST TOOL BOX, and that pitbull bit was obsolete since 95 (S&M’s got A.D.s), so had spent 2 fruitless years in the box, before being transferred across to this bag!!

‘uh, just in case’ ??!! Again, who knows.

Like I said ‘don’t let this happen to you’.

laughinggravy

Re: Story about . . . a toolbag????!
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2008, 07:58 PM »
'fook' ??!!!! I've been edited by remote!! Even Ride has f-uck in it now!!

Bettyswallocks

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2008, 08:13 PM »
Great post dude...  :daumenhoch:

Everyone has a crap chain tool, i lent mine out to a mate recently and he broke it, but got me a brand new replacement....

Its shite...  :LolLolLolLol:

laughinggravy

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2008, 08:16 PM »
cheers, we have a Park chain tool for the shop now (whoopee, high rollers!), which is much better . . cos now just the pins break, and they're replaceable. For about the cost of a whole crappy chain tool. You just can't win, eh?!

fouronethreeoh!

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2008, 08:19 PM »
I feel for ya.
Been sorting through my tools ( and life) recently and currently have one snap on roll cab and top box at work, brimming full of useful stuff. A canti box, plastic fishing style box, 1942 ammo box and metal tote tray in the shed at home all packed full. This doesnt include any misc power tools or assorted useful boxes of nuts/bolts/washers or screws.

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2008, 08:21 PM »
i bet you can still find a tool in that bag for any fettling emergency  great thread

Offline generallee

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2008, 08:28 PM »
Tim, I loved this story. In my personal toolbox I have some very odd things - a section of kmc chain, but the fat kind that came out after some people started using motorbike chains.....
also some bloody mole grips - I NEVER use them.
A clear bag of chainring bolts and brake parts that I wont ever use again, and other stuff that makes me laugh a bit or smile alot And stuck on the outside of the box is loads of stickers - including the 'Fook You We're From Devon' sticker we all wore at Backyard in 94!
steve

Offline fugazi

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2008, 10:14 PM »
Loving it!!! My garage is full of "modified for bike use" tools and "I'll keep that just in case" parts from years ago  :daumenhoch:
Do you grovel to your master? Do you beg like a dog?

SaMAlex

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2008, 07:33 AM »
Nice one Tim, thats great.

I have just got one of those DK, do everything multi tools. I look forward to it getting pride of place ... right on top of all the other crappy tools that Im bound to still carry round with me.  :crazy2:

JT71

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2008, 08:16 AM »
nice little story there, i love good old tool box/bag with bits that you'll never use stashed away "just incase"

as for your pitbull wedge cable clamp thingy, be a saint and offer it int he racing section free to a good home, I bet one of those old school racers has a pitbull with that very bit missing, sitting useless in their tool box.

nomad

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2008, 08:43 PM »
lol, great post! I used to have a bag like that, I am well into my cars now so have a "proper" toolbox (S1 on here will disagree!) but I remember my bag o' crap bitd!

noddybeard

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2008, 07:11 PM »
Great thread 'BOSS'
However in referance to the yellow box in the shop Tim seems to have forgotten that we (actually it seems more like just ME!!!) don't just build bikes straight outta the box as mentioned but also fix practically the entire population of the Exeter (and everywhere else sometimes)  BMX communities bikes.
Therefore I quite often need a 1/4" or 7/32" or 8mm allen or an allen key for Hombre knarps or a profile crank installer/remover tool or a spoke key an more often than not a hammer/mole grip is required specially with some of the locals bikes!!! an there is nothing worse than havin to stop what you are doin an go find it from the 'other' tool box which if you've ever seen it is an absolute nightmare/disgrace.
Bought from the recycling centre for a fiver i believe an i'm pretty sure it was fooked when he got it if not it sure is now!! you cant even pick the bloody thing up with out the lid an top tray falling off spiliing it's contents all over the floor.
It does however bear an uncanny resemblance to this thread as it has absolutely everything in it hence why i like to keep the useful tools in the smaller easier to manage yellow box.
On a separate/similar note i emptied out my ridin rucksack the other day (which has an assortment of tools in it) an couldn't believe the amount of shit that was in it spec as i ride to work an carry this thing every day no wonder it was so fookin heavy!!!!
I had bar ends, Chain links, washers, crank spacers, profile bolts, brake pads, old grips, old pegs, chain tensioner(that doesent even fit on micro dropouts), spare hub guard, spare wheel nuts (in 10 an 14mm fitment) an a bunch of other stuff.
These 'essentials' are now in my actual Tool Box which is a whole other story (an already had more than enough 'essentials' in it)and is to be fair pretty much similar to Tims...

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Mid School BMX (>87) 1989 to 2003 (<05)  |  Mid School ( Keep the faith )  |  Story about . . . a toolbag????!

gfxgfx
gfx gfx