gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975758 Posts in 138934 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 27, 2024, 08:29 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  Stupid question re: getting started in OS race...
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Stupid question re: getting started in OS race...  (Read 2020 times)

Timmeh

Stupid question re: getting started in OS race...
« on: November 25, 2008, 11:51 AM »
OK guys and gals,  what does a punter need to start OS racing (or NS racing for that matter), assuming they have a bike already?

Protective gear, scrutinising, plates, licenses, where are the tracks (I'm North Yorkshire), do you have to be in a club, rough costs...is there a step-by-step guide to this in the forum?

I know I always ask biffa questions, but if you don't know, ya don't know....

cheers!

Dimmeh! :)

motomagII

Re: Stupid question re: getting started in OS race...
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2008, 11:57 AM »
winter sweries im in got broze licence buit you can do few races before getting one see if ya like or not .
you must hqave helmet long sleeves and gloves
dont need club registration
number plate needs to be on and number non of us old gets already use .

see ya at bradford meet before xmas then ??????????????????????????????????

Timmeh

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2008, 11:59 AM »
Bradford?

Giz uz a clue?

motomagII

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2008, 12:01 PM »

moley

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2008, 12:39 PM »
Bradford is the next race on 21st December!!

Its Old School so you need a 1" threaded headset and Caliper Brakes!!

Helmet, Gloves are a necessity.   I'd also wear Knee/shin pads and at least elbow pads (I wear Body armour, Chest, Back, Elbow/forearm protection).   Brand X do some cheap gear!!

You do not need a racing license or membership for the Winter Series.  You will for the summer if you want to race more than 2 rounds.

Races fees on the day are £7 per person.   Kids are probably cheaper but I dont know the cost.

If you haven't got an OS bike yet and you are a 'NOVICE' then no rider in North Region OS will object to you using a NS bike until you get yourself sorted.  But if you win, expect to get a slap for taking the pee.  :LolLolLolLol:

I have a few OS race bikes and I could always provide a loaner (if I can fit it into the back of my hatchback).

Scrutinise you own bike.  Remove pegs and if you have any concerns then we can sort it out before you race!!

If you have no number plate then the Race Organisers will provide you with one. Hand it back after the race.

Manchester was wet and cold!!  I will be wearing my thermals for the next meet unless there is a heatwave (they wont be) and I'm thinking of buying some winter gloves too.  Wear plenty of layers, you can always take the excess layers off.

You have 3 and half weeks to get sorted and because its local (near enough) to you then Bradford would be the ideal to get started racing OS. 

If you need any help then ask for it in the Old School Series Section!!  :daumenhoch:

mr.magoo

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2008, 12:45 PM »
absolute minimum, long sleeves and helmet and gloves, most clubs have spare plates, or paper plates to tie on, with marker pen numbers. But most shops sell 'em for about a tenner, or google big daddy custom plates. :daumenhoch:

Lisence needed for regional/national racing

registration normally £3-£5, no scrutineering these days, too much emphasis on being sued if is ok'd then falls apart and someone gets hurt :shocked:

i would strongly recommend a decent body armour (don't believe me, i've done about six/seven races this year and its nearly time for a new one, cracked, very deep gauges etc etc what would have happened to me without it) and a decent set of knee/shin pads too.

plenty of info about clubs and race dates on here, lookie in old school racing section

then off to have your fun, while i only dream about it :LolLolLolLol:

Tony 1-4

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2008, 12:51 PM »
Whilst I would stiil strongly advise the protective clothing as Neil stated, Mr Magoo does tend to rather need his a lot more than others! ;D ;D ;D

mr.magoo

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2008, 12:54 PM »
if you don't fall off, you aint pushing your boundaries :2gunsfiring_v1:

mr.magoo

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2008, 12:59 PM »
only had 4 stacks in them races, and look at how many practise laps i put in, and the day i did my knee i was doing two classes  :shocked: so as ratios go i have a low crash ratio :LolLolLolLol:
they just tend to be heavy when they do happen. :'( :-\ :D ;D

thecrooch

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2008, 01:18 PM »
if you don't fall off, you aint pushing your boundaries :2gunsfiring_v1:

Boundries???  you fell off the island mate...

mr.magoo

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2008, 01:51 PM »
them boundary edges aint made of neoperene anymore, they dont stretch, they're made of wrought iron and shouldn't be pushed :coolsmiley:

Timmeh

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2008, 02:49 PM »
Awesome support guys, thanks loads. :)

I take it it's a full-face helmet (NOT THE FACE NOT THE FACE!) that I need?  Are you guys straight up about armour?!  Mrs Timmeh will go septic thinking about that!!  I can't ever afford flying lessons so this is my equal first choice of a preferred hobby!!

I've got an OS bike I built last year with much help from guys on here- thanks again!  Do I have to leave the bike-pads on and do I need both brakes (for show of course...)?  Is there a '30-something' class for old fogies?

3 1/2 wks = 2 1/2 wks selling the idea and a wk of 'training'...

So...got gloves, got a bike, got vans...gotta get a lid and my aRse over to Bradford.  Yikes!!

Timmeh

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2008, 02:51 PM »
Sorry chaps...where in Bradford we talking for the track?

mr.magoo

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2008, 02:59 PM »
How much protection you choose to use depends on how hard you wanna push it, and what skill level you have etc etc.

Risk assesment.

Back in may, first race back in 22 years, thought i'll take it easy, have a mosey on around the track.

No way, realised i was still almost as fast as 22 years ago, only had  a borrowed lid and gardening gloves........gate practise, snapped crank on second pedal, slid down the start hill on my forearms, scars to prove it!!!!

Come the A final, head landing from jumping the doubles and geting a front wheel wash out on landing, had concussion for a week and major grazing all down my back.

so if your mental, get the armour, if its for fun..try a couple of races see how you get on.

My wife said the same, cost cost cost, then when i came home covered in scratches and grazes got the you should be wearing more protecttion :LolLolLolLol:

Now all i get is you should give up before you have to have any time off work :knuppel2:

moley

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2008, 03:09 PM »

http://www.northregionbmx.org.uk/bradford.html

Body Armour and knee/shin pads!!

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx'modelID=7088

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx'modelID=7089

They work a treat!!

Leave pads on ya bike or take them off, you decide!!

Full face helmet!!  :daumenhoch:

Tony 1-4

« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2008, 03:41 PM »
Got some really nice Moto - fox body armour on e-bay. It came from China so I don't know if it was fake or not. It had all the lables on it and everything. I paid 15 (yes that's right, fifteen!!) quid for it. Think it was something like £23 posted.

The first time I wore it was at Daggers when our dear friend 796 decided to t-bone me and my brother (Have a look at his signature picture, you'll know what I mean!).

I came off and was just getting up when my brother rode full pelt into my back. I know it was full pelt 'cos he still hasn't got those bloody brakes sorted!

All I felt was a gentle thud. The ol' body armour saved my bacon cos had I not been wearing it, it's quite possible I may have heard a "crack" instead.

Only sensible thing my little bruv has ever advised me to do.   ;D ;D

mr.magoo

« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2008, 03:53 PM »
Tony, i was looking at that back in June, think back then would have been 35, same armour as mine, but mine not labelled, got mine from ebay from scorpion bikers, just got some for my lad too, think mine cost £40 posted, delivered the next day, one of the best buys i've had in BMX :daumenhoch:

Tony 1-4

« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2008, 06:23 PM »
This is mine. Very, very pleased with it!

Was a bit concerned as the seller only had a couple of sales under his belt. No negative feedback but then he changed his account name. Still came through though.

Tony 1-4

« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2008, 06:25 PM »
Also, if anyone is interested, I'm sure I saved the sellers details in my e-bay account. Hey, I might even save someone elses bacon. :daumenhoch:

moley

« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2008, 07:59 PM »
Also, if anyone is interested, I'm sure I saved the sellers details in my e-bay account. Hey, I might even save someone elses bacon. :daumenhoch:

I wouldn't mind knowing the sellers ebay name!!

Creamy is after some body armour and its always good to know for future reference!!

Cheers!  :daumenhoch:

Tony 1-4

« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2008, 08:13 PM »
Gutted! :Aresehole: Just had a look but haven't saved it. I know I wanted to cos I want some for my kids. Will search for it again and if I come up trumps I will post details.

Someone on there now selling "buy it now" for £27 from Hong Kong but £22 postage.

mr.magoo

« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2008, 08:22 PM »
yes that'll be the one i was looking at, and i was worried about shipping time and disputes as not just round the corner, but that is nice armour, more shaped than mine, so probably a bit more comfee too.

So if you find the seller i'd be interested for a new kit for post op :daumenhoch:

Offline Dex Dexter

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2008, 08:46 PM »
I fully support all this chit chat about pads.

I had my first race at the weekend in Manchester and without my elbow pads I reckon I'd have been looking at a fair bit of pain (came off once in practice and once in the race).

So get the pads.  It's the sort of expense you can really justify.

And then get racing!

It will be the best thing you do this year.  Everyone helps you out and it makes you feel alive again.

Timmeh

« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2008, 08:50 PM »
I tell you what...dark evenings, 2 hr commute each day (1hr each way), shit boring job...alive is defo what I need!!! :crazy2:

scary_leary

« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2008, 08:51 PM »
Hey Dex i missed you at this weekends meet, but from what ive seen you wanna slow down..
ffs way to fast for your 1st meet! oh well thats me down another place  :(

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  Stupid question re: getting started in OS race...

gfxgfx
gfx gfx