gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975758 Posts in 138934 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 27, 2024, 02:27 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  The Quad Restoration has started.....DONE!!!
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: The Quad Restoration has started.....DONE!!!  (Read 4034 times)

Offline Faze7-Ade

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
The Quad Restoration has started.....DONE!!!
« on: November 21, 2008, 05:38 AM »
As some of you may have seen, my son is going start the Southern Series racing, so rather than just stand on the side to watch, I've decided to get my old quadangle going again.

I'll post up some photo's when I've finished, but here is what I'm starting with, and I'll be using all of the top tips in the restoration section to get it looking as mint as I can.

My old '84 frame & unstamped fork - the frame is currently away getting painted factory white.

Went searching my loft for as many old bits as I could find, so I've got to be able to make something out of this lot.

I must be able to get some wheels going from these.

Even found an aluminium GT coaster hub, which was rare BITD, so must be worth a bit now, but no use for a race bike !

So I hope to get the frame back just before Christmas, giving me some time to get it ready for next year's racing. Hope to race it in "old school" class soon.....
« Last Edit: January 10, 2009, 07:55 AM by Faze7-Ade »

Offline Dingobmxer

• Founding Fathers
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
Re: The Quad Restoration has started.....
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2008, 05:44 AM »
looks like a good pile of stuff to start with  :daumenhoch:

good luck with the restoration and keep us all updated

:) DINGO :)

fouronethreeoh!

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2008, 07:24 AM »
I wish i could find bits like those, lying around.

Thats a very good start, should build into a very nice bike.

Look forward to seeing the progress.

hooga1975

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2008, 06:03 PM »
You should be able to knock up a nice bike out of that lot.  I look forward to seeing it down the track :daumenhoch:

Offline QUADROPHENIA

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2008, 08:00 AM »

I NEED THE BLACK GT SEATPOST, if you get rid give me a shout, did you say GT coaster hub ?

magna13

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2008, 10:51 AM »
Good luck with the resto, what year is it?

therock

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2008, 01:46 PM »
its 2008 mate  :daumenhoch: them hubs are stunning

Offline Faze7-Ade

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2008, 01:47 PM »

I NEED THE BLACK GT SEATPOST, if you get rid give me a shout, did you say GT coaster hub ?

My quad is going to be white with black bits, so the seat post has a home already - sorry mate.

As for the hubs, that makes a total of 3 that I've ever seen ! Makes mine look a bit 2nd hand !

Offline Faze7-Ade

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2008, 01:55 PM »
Good luck with the resto, what year is it?

The quad is an '84, it was my 3rd - sadly the original cracked and was replaced, same thing happened to the 2nd (cracked in the same place - half way along the top tube where the smaller tube joins). I've posted the frame number up in the list on the restoration stickies section, for all of the train spotters. The landing gears were bought before the quads - I had them on a super goose 1st, they must be late '82 or early '83ish, and are still straight to this day after loads of abuse !

magna13

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2008, 01:56 PM »
its 2008 mate  :daumenhoch: them hubs are stunning
Don't think so, just read the description... its 84 :)

Offline Faze7-Ade

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2008, 10:04 AM »
The frame's back from the spray shop, and it looks mint !!!

Check this out......

Looks like new again, and I've got a repro factory sticker set to go on it.

I'm going to fit the white Z rims to it, but I'll be stripping them back to change the spokes to black, and to give the rims & hubs a bit of TLC. That'll be my next job on the restoration.

I'll post up more progress as it happens.

magna13

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2008, 10:32 AM »
 :4_17_5:

Offline Faze7-Ade

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
Re: The Quad Restoration has started.....PROGRESS
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2008, 12:09 PM »
Some real progress at last !

Got my flights thanks to the Rad BMX shop (great service !), done a bit of TLC on the old battered black chrome GT seat post (with new sticker thanks to DEL - that bloke's brand new !), fitted my tuf neck stem - took off the lilac anodizing, fitted my tuf neck seat post clamp - removed the white paint & polished it, cleaned up my old dia comp's.

I'm working on the z-rim rebuild, which should be done this week. I've relace them with black spokes & I've bleached the rims a bit but they always were a creamy white.

Thanks for everyone's help so far in answering my tech questions.

I hope to have it ready for the next southern series race, but we'll have to see.......

Offline Zippy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2008, 12:26 PM »
Yum Yum, going to enjoy seeing that thrashed round the track.  :smitten:

dialledbikes

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2008, 01:47 PM »
The quad is an '84, it was my 3rd - sadly the original cracked and was replaced, same thing happened to the 2nd (cracked in the same place - half way along the top tube where the smaller tube joins). I've posted the frame number up in the list on the restoration stickies section, for all of the train spotters.

I imagine you're a few stones heavier than you were in 1984.  Do you really want to risk cracking your pride and joy?

Offline Faze7-Ade

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2008, 01:58 PM »
The quad is an '84, it was my 3rd - sadly the original cracked and was replaced, same thing happened to the 2nd (cracked in the same place - half way along the top tube where the smaller tube joins). I've posted the frame number up in the list on the restoration stickies section, for all of the train spotters.

I imagine you're a few stones heavier than you were in 1984.  Do you really want to risk cracking your pride and joy?

Lucky for me, I'm the same weight as I was back then.

Part of my plan to keep the frame crack free is to fit the z-rims, as they give a bit more than normal wheels ! And as I'll be racing it, I won't be giving it as much stick as I used to when I was on the trick team. I'm only having a go at the old school racing for a bit of fun, so fingers crossed, it'll hold up !
« Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 04:45 PM by Faze7-Ade »

hooga1975

« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2008, 04:34 PM »
It is looking good so far. The quad should be ok, Vinoah used to race one and never had any problems with his

Firebladeseven

« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2008, 06:55 PM »
Are they particularly prone to breakage then?

I have been jumping mine like I stole it recently :shocked:

Erm..as you can see in the Avatar..

Steve Gilbert

magna13

« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2008, 09:28 PM »
Very nice ;)

Offline Faze7-Ade

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2008, 08:55 AM »
Are they particularly prone to breakage then?

I have been jumping mine like I stole it recently :shocked:

Erm..as you can see in the Avatar..

Steve Gilbert

I think the ones which have a frame design like mine - where the seat stays join the seat tube could crack more easily (but then I did do some heavy duty freestyle and skatepark stuff on mine back in the day & don't forget it was a race frame). You'll see the design was changed on later frames (and the earlier loop tails too by the looks of it), as the seat stays join the top tube about half way along, which is where my frames cracked. As the design was changed, I'd guess there was a good reason for it.

Anyone else have one crack there ?

bmxbob

« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2009, 08:06 PM »
Super nice quad mate  8)

PMd  ::)

:daumenhoch:

Offline Faze7-Ade

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
Re: The Quad Restoration has started.....DONE!!!
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2009, 08:12 AM »
Finally in the small hours of this morning, I finally finished my quad !

It was my plan to build something to race in old school, so some of the parts are new, and the rest are from the heap of stuff in my first picture. It's been great fun going through all of the tech hints, and watching the replies when I've posted something up. I can see why you guys enjoy building bikes you may not have been able to get hold of BITD. I know I always wanted flights but couldn't save up enough to buy them, so fitting them to my old quad makes one of my childhood dreams come true. But I have to say, getting the chain aligned was the most fiddly thing I've done in ages (combination of a modern BB in an old frame, and an old ACS freewheel, don't make a good alignment without loads of fettling).

A big thanks to everyone who has helped me  :daumenhoch:

I'll give it a spin at Peckham this weekend (all being well), so I hope to enjoy riding it again after all these years. I know the bike's up to it, lets hope I can get around the track myself !

I hope you like the photos......

Faze7-Dave

« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2009, 11:19 AM »
MINT !!!!!  is all I can say

Frosty

« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2009, 03:39 PM »
Lovely, the zed's look good laced to the black spokes too.

Offline bigfatolly

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2009, 04:19 PM »
looks great,nice to see something stashed away in the loft get a new lease of life.
got to get yourself some gum/amberwalls for cruising though and use the black ones for your racing :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  The Quad Restoration has started.....DONE!!!

gfxgfx
gfx gfx