gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 23, 2024, 02:28 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  chain clearence freewheel problem
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: chain clearence freewheel problem  (Read 634 times)

Offline OrgasmDonor

• Berm Worm
  • I got the sauce for beef butterflies
  • Rated:
chain clearence freewheel problem
« on: November 16, 2008, 02:05 PM »
got a tnt frame with bigger than usual stays, trouble is the drops are not welded towards the inside of the frame and the backend is narrow, so the freewheel is positioned behind the tubing leaving no clearence for the chain to pass the tube, i can/could make clearence for this by stretching apart the rear of the frame to accomadate the extra spacers needed between the freewheel and the drops but spacers will need to go either side to keep the wheel centred and this means the frame is gonna need to be forced at least 3/4 of an inch for this to work, is there any freewheels with offset teeth (not down the middle and more towards the spoke side) i know suntour freewheels are like this but they are wider than most and the teeth are more or less positioned in the same place as my freewheel. freewheel suggestions appreciated, or will it just be a case of stretchin the back end like a bast@rd?

i have had to remove the cone nut off tuther side to accomadate the extra spacing on freewheel side but there is stil a bit to go before full chain clearence, see pics

« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 02:11 PM by OrgasmDonor »

subversion

Re: chain clearence freewheel problem
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2008, 09:15 PM »
Can you fit a chain without mashing the frame & take some more photos dude? I would suggest maybe a 3/32" chain & the appropriate sprocket & FW? (if you can get one?)

moley

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2008, 09:26 PM »
I usually bend the frame out slightly and sometimes run the wheel further back.

3/4" seems a helluva lot to pull out though!!

If you sort out a thinner/offset freewheel or a better solution then please LMK.  :daumenhoch:

Offline Rombloke

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • do one
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2008, 09:55 PM »
get a thinner cone nut on the non drive side and a thicker one on the drive side....

Dave
haro, how do you do

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2008, 03:02 AM »
Flipflop hub and a smaller freewheel?

Better to crash and burn than fade away

Offline OrgasmDonor

• Berm Worm
  • I got the sauce for beef butterflies
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2008, 09:27 AM »
get a thinner cone nut on the non drive side and a thicker one on the drive side....

Dave

could do this but the back wheel would not be centred, not a huge problem tho, thinkin of compramising and doing this and forcing frame :daumenhoch:

Can you fit a chain without mashing the frame & take some more photos dude? I would suggest maybe a 3/32" chain & the appropriate sprocket & FW? (if you can get one?)
Flipflop hub and a smaller freewheel?

tiz an idea dudes but really want to keep the chainring ive got as its consistent with the frame

I usually bend the frame out slightly and sometimes run the wheel further back.

3/4" seems a helluva lot to pull out though!!

If you sort out a thinner/offset freewheel or a better solution then please LMK.  :daumenhoch:

was hopin for an offset freewheel being available, a smaller freewheel wouldnt do it as the frame would still be in the way, gonna go for the stretching option and offset the wheel slightly to lessen the stress, although i did give it a stretchin last night (ooer Matron) and theres more give than i thought, will post piccies if i get it sorted.

cheers for replies dudes, appreciate it :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  chain clearence freewheel problem

gfxgfx
gfx gfx