gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 22, 2024, 04:20 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  fitting an AD brake plate
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: fitting an AD brake plate  (Read 1229 times)

JT71

fitting an AD brake plate
« on: November 11, 2008, 10:09 AM »
okay, I can actually manage this, but there's an option here I feel.

the plate comes with curved washers the same as a caliper brake does to go around the forks, however would I be better off binning the front one and bolting the plate tight up against the forks then tie wrapping it in place?

the curved washer obviously give a gap between the forks and the plate.

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
Re: fitting an AD brake plate
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2008, 10:16 AM »
Yeah mate, fix that bad boy as tight as is possible.  Big fat cable ties or jubilee clips around the fork legs too   :)

oldschool rider

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2008, 10:18 AM »
okay, I can actually manage this, but there's an option here I feel.

the plate comes with curved washers the same as a caliper brake does to go around the forks, however would I be better off binning the front one and bolting the plate tight up against the forks then tie wrapping it in place?

the curved washer obviously give a gap between the forks and the plate.

JT I run a brake plate and left the front curved washer off for this  very reason, However on mine the centre bolt is slightly thicker than a standard centre bolt meaning that when it is tightened there is no need for tie wrapping as it is very tight in the forks and doesn't move and there is no flex either.  :daumenhoch:

JT71

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2008, 10:25 AM »
my cable ties are big and strong, the curved washer is history.

thanks Rob & oldschoolrider.

:daumenhoch:

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2008, 10:41 AM »
ffs  ::)

come on Joe keep up! 

;)

motomagII

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2008, 10:44 AM »
i tried using canti pad 990 up on haro last night using brake plate on rear and it just wouldnt work .caliper moved/brake plate flex and the pads were moving onto the tyre .binned it in end and fitted acs boa caliper works treat

canti style opads were nightmare to set up ,are you supposed to push em right in so theres a large gap between caliper and pad or keep em as close the caliper as possible .?did my head in for 2 hours before i gave up

JT71

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2008, 11:11 AM »
ffs  ::)

come on Joe keep up! 

;)

check twice do once.

:daumenhoch:

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2008, 11:28 AM »
Greg,  the old style AD can be set up however you want.  You can go for a wide or narrow setup, it doesn't really matter too much. The leverage is a little different, but usually it was set up to suit the bike  (so it didnt get kicked or whatever).  Most people just gently nipped the pads up, then squezzed the brake to set them against the rim, then lock off.  Job done.  I don't recall many people pissing around with toe in and such like...

Now, how was that plate and brake flexing on the rear of a bike?  Did you mount it on top of the chainstays, or underneath?

motomagII

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2008, 11:57 AM »
mounted on top .was round brake mount so used the shaped washers got it tight too .was absolutely shite when i had set it up mx1000 would have been better ?

think the brake plate just flexed too much and to bbot the seat clamp mounted cable holder also flexed a bit .like a posi stop seat clamp but home made lol
there is nowhere on the frame to mount the cable for 990 so had to make summat as didnt have posi-stop handy .the straddle cable was really short so i was pulling towards the seat tube had about 45 mm cable to pull on but was still for some reason not getting the pads mega tight on the wheel .then when i did back hop or summat the canti pads were moving from where i had set em to which i figured was brake plate movement ,

twobobrob bike surgery yet again .just when you think you have sussed bike building summat gets ya good style and you end up throwing summat in rage lol

SaMAlex

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2008, 12:23 PM »
Joe, here are some pics of my front brake and cable. It was on another thread that you asked for them but it seems OK on here.

I have actually got 2 types of outer cable. The upper part of the cable is a liner cable. From the lever down to just below the forks. Then Ive got a short length of normal coiled cable for the bend. I have got a outer cable joining ferrel that also doubles as a good place for a cable tie cos it wont crush it.

Hope the pics help. Feel free to comment on my hand painted fork decals

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2008, 12:43 PM »
Greg,  I  understand now buddy.  I can see where you've got shitloads of flex and movement.  We need to simplify all that   ;)

So,  get rid of the cable hanger thingy, get rid of the straddle cable.   What you're gonna do is copy a front brake setup, but on the back on your bike. You might need a noodle just to help with the loop thats gonna be right where your heel is gonna catch it...

Your cable is going to run straight into the side of the AD, just like in Alex's photo.

Have a trawl through here and you'll find lots of pics of peoples front brake setups   ;)

I'm going out now, but see if you can get your head around it, and I'll look in later on   :)

motomagII

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2008, 12:51 PM »

right where ive marked the red on the pic my cable needs to stick there but the caliper ad990 is made to have the cable ferrul fit there so how do i get cable end to sit/fit in there 'that was my original idea and i couldnt figure it out,i got struddle with the 990 but the end bit that fits on it is huge and wont fit anywhere i can see on the caliper .if the strudle thing fits it would be good as it has built in adjuster too .

JT71

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2008, 12:58 PM »
nice one Alex, my loop isn't quite as short as your's but I'll be fitting forks with brake mounts soon, so I can tweek it then.

but you've helped no end there, i was under the impression i needed a big loop going down and up, not in from the side but your's looks good and makes sense.

SaMAlex

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2008, 01:05 PM »

Yep, nice and short and neat. Like Ian has it there too.
Make sure you dont strap it too much to the fork leg cos its gotta move when you pull the lever.

motomagII

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2008, 01:06 PM »
sorry jt jumped on your thread bit matey

JT71

« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2008, 01:28 PM »
it's all good dude, I knew Rob would find this thread and he's the man when it comes to sorting your AD brake problems.  :daumenhoch:

subversion

« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2008, 01:54 PM »
Joe you'll be nailing Canadian nosepicks in no time brother! :daumenhoch:

lodge

« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2008, 02:51 PM »
990 with adjuster.

motomagII

« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2008, 03:06 PM »
mines not the fs front so hasnt got an adjuste on it

JT71

« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2008, 03:14 PM »
if it's a universal brake it comes with a big ugly adjuster.

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2008, 04:26 PM »
You don't need the adjuster. Don't worry about it.  Greg, you're gonna just jam the outer cable straight into one side of your AD, and then put a nipple clamp on t'other end and drop that into the other arm.  Make that fairly snug, then you can simply make your fine adjustment at the lever.
You may well feel that you're putting it together the wrong way round,  have a look at Steve's photo.  You're gonna jam the outer cable into the left hand arm (as you look at the photo), then secure with a clamp on the other arm.

Assuming your AD looks how I think it looks......

JT71

« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2008, 11:36 AM »
day after I fitted the brake plate me new forks arrived anyway.

so the plates gone and the brakes on, sweet.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  fitting an AD brake plate

gfxgfx
gfx gfx