gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 21, 2024, 06:15 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  what defines a show bike
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: what defines a show bike  (Read 3041 times)

trasher

what defines a show bike
« on: November 07, 2008, 10:22 PM »
no sure if this question has been asked before ,,,but here goes

do all the parts have to be era correct to the frame set
do all the parts need to be nos before being fitted ,,,or just mint
has the paint ,,powder or chrome got to be flawless ,,,,and with no dings on the frame
just wondering what is looked at when they are judged
 :daumenhoch: :daumenhoch:

dbman

Re: what defines a show bike
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2008, 10:26 PM »
the way i see it is this, showbike is a bike on show, somthing that you are proud to show and display, it doesnt have to be blingy new just somthing you like,  and like looking at and showing to other people.......................on another note i like your banner A+  :daumenhoch:

Offline DIRTBIKER250F

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Home sweet home
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2008, 10:28 PM »
If you wanna win best in show then, mint mint mint, if not then anything you fancy showing  :daumenhoch:

sweetbeats

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2008, 10:32 PM »
no sure if this question has been asked before ,,,but here goes

do all the parts have to be era correct to the frame set
do all the parts need to be nos before being fitted ,,,or just mint
has the paint ,,powder or chrome got to be flawless ,,,,and with no dings on the frame
just wondering what is looked at when they are judged

Nice touch on the avitar the gay pensioner...I reckon this will be a massive thread...never shown a bike be some really interesting opinions for sure (10 pages place ya bets) :daumenhoch:

dbman

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2008, 10:39 PM »
i feel a show bike that can win  showbike awards DOESNT OR SHOULDNT have to be mint mint mint or nos nos, there have been many aboty winner that have been "riders"
« Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 10:42 PM by dbman »

Offline DIRTBIKER250F

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Home sweet home
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2008, 10:42 PM »
Well thats what you think dude, try an win MK09 with a bike that aint mint mint mint  ;)

sweetbeats

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2008, 10:44 PM »
Think a ShowBike will need to be near NOS or mintos..don't think a rider could compete bit like crufts with tuffs.

dbman

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2008, 10:45 PM »
Topic: what defines a show bike

not what will win a comp

sweetbeats

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2008, 10:48 PM »

Should have this gleaming by mk09

Offline DIRTBIKER250F

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Home sweet home
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2008, 10:50 PM »
Topic: what defines a show bike

not what will win a comp

Fook me DB that is a open ended question aint it. I would say era correct, dunno mate allsorts. A judge may post and give you an insight, you never know  ;)

dannywhiteley

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2008, 10:52 PM »
My point of view for what its worth.

As has just been mentioned (you beat me to it) a show bike and a competition winner is two entirely different things.  I used to own a rather nice mk1 VW Golf that I showed (at shows) but it certainly wasnt up there with the real top dollar winners, but it still got plenty of positive attention (and a magazine cover shoot to boot - PVW... natch).

A show bike is entirely that.  A bike that is up for show.  Doesnt need to be anything other than your own pride and joy.  What anybpdy else makes of it is there business.

And btw, why does a show bike need era correct parts.  I know many people who constantly updated and replaced worn parts / improved parts etc, that werent 'era correct' bitd, so whys it so important now?

Do what you like...

sweetbeats

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2008, 10:52 PM »
I thought a showbike was made to be shown/judged and scoop top prizes :)

Offline DIRTBIKER250F

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Home sweet home
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2008, 10:56 PM »
My point of view for what its worth.
And btw, why does a show bike need era correct parts.  I know many people who constantly updated and replaced worn parts / improved parts etc, that werent 'era correct' bitd, so whys it so important now?

Do what you like...

Just my opinion to Danny  :LolLolLolLol: like arseholes they are, we all got em dude

baldbmxer

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2008, 11:00 PM »
A show bike doesnt have to be NOS, MINT, or even period correct. Although if you wanna win a class or best in show mint and era correct are gonna help.

But every show bike does need one thing - it needs a proud owner who wants to show their creation and love for what they have achieved. All this bike showing and restoring is so objective anyway. Many bikes are a work in progress for a number of years until the owner gets it to where they want it

I'm proud of this, but it aint mint or NOS! and it was shown with pride at MK08 - pride knowing I hadnt lifted a finger with it!

or this that had only been cleaned since finding it

but this is completely different than the other two

but I got love to go round them all  :LolLolLolLol:

show your bikes with pride, regardless of the brand, the value or the condition  :daumenhoch:

dbman

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2008, 11:07 PM »

sweetbeats

« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2008, 11:09 PM »
That Kawasaki ROCKS.. :4_17_5:
Only bike I have built is me gen2...almost show but is built to ride rain or shine a sexy rider :daumenhoch:.

JT71

« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2008, 07:11 AM »
this year at MK there was no survivor category, I understand why as what is a true survivor? it's hard to be sure a bike is a survivor as it could be contrived, however sometimes bikes like that Kawasaki turn up and should just be left like that, perfect IMO and fine to show.

sometimes it seems that the idea is to make the same bike that was in a brochure or ad or a spec specific bike, or maybe kit out a frame and forks with the best components, or maybe build a replica of your childhood bike.

whatever, you don't have to go spec specific or NOS to make a bike worthy of showing. My Dirt Bros TA replica came 3rd in bike of the month, and to be honest it's not what you'd call a show bike. lol.

it's hard to win bike of the month, however you can certainly earn some kudos points and some respect by doing something a bit different and having the balls to do what you want.

steve Beech TA

« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2008, 09:03 AM »

I asked this question a while ago when i started building, Some peeps like to see original chrome, some like things to be re chromed.

Painted or Powdered or to get a chrome bike powdered is an easier option, if my opinion is worth anything and is only my opinion. As apart from getting the colour right it is relatively inexpensive.  but can make a big diff  and a lot of pleasure. I dont think I am explaining my self very well  :uglystupid2:

I spent ages and ages dwelling and asking peeps wether or not to have my hutch re chromed i still do think about it, as to achieve this drive for a perfect looking bike, on one hand its original chrome and in excellent condition but there is still a bit of me that thinks get it re chromed, but i dont really wont to as i would lose the original chrome and new chrome is never as good as the original chrome although i have seen some bikes that are re chromed and its looks mint which is why I will probably keep going round in these circles. I could get it powdered in candy red or whatever its called and it would look stunning and a lot better than a rechrome. regardless of what i do i will put it on show as i am proud of it as it is so far, even though there is plenty of work to do on it to get it as i wont it and as cash dictates.       

The best advice i deduced from the comments i received is, at the end of the day you should build your bike as you wont it, at the end of the day we all had parts we loved BITD. i think with time we start to get an eye for wanting era correct parts and all the rest of it, by looking at other peeps rides.  Trends and views differ all the time.

As baldbmxer said build it and be proud of what you have achieved etc.

hope this helps :daumenhoch: 

Offline ron burgundy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2008, 09:19 AM »
Clean it/Build it, and if you like it then show it...
"Thanks for the Fish Fingers idea... I'm fooking loaded now!!!"

trasher

« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2008, 09:31 AM »
cheers guys
i can see where you all are coming from ,,
iv just spent 10 odd hours restoring a set of tuffs ,that where shot ,with the top layer of composite breaking down
with a lot of scraping ,,rubbing down with wet and dry through the courses and then polishing ,i feel i have achieved the impossible
and as they sit on the dinning room table ,every time i walk by them ,i think shit i did that ,so i am well proud of them
there just seems to be more satisfaction doing work like that than taking a set of nos wheels out the box and fitting them .,,,
im also doing a set of suntour pedals ,iv finished one 4 hours later and again im well chuffed ,,so for me bringing something back to life
is far more rewarding than just sticking minty nos stuff on my minty nos frame
and at the end of it all i would be pretty proud to show it off ,,,,,maybe with before and after pictures though  :LolLolLolLol:

oh ps im waiting for a frame to come back from the chromers ,,,,but i did strip it myself ,rub it down and even tried polishing it ,,but theres only so much a mortal can do with a dremmell  :idiot2:

« Last Edit: November 08, 2008, 09:40 AM by trasher »

dannywhiteley

« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2008, 09:38 AM »
Plus you're doing your bit for the governments 50% waste reduction to landfill target by 2012.  Everyones a winner. :)

aditup 2234

« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2008, 11:39 AM »
Its a good question and open to a lot off ar5eholes, (ar5eholes being opinions).
The thing is, ANYBODY can build a show winning bike, the bits are there, somewhere, at a price. There is no such thing, in my opinion, of an "extinct" bicycle part, just gotta locate it and, if the seller knows its worth, pay BIG bucks for it. "ANYBODY" just needs the money to accomplish such a task.
The point is; MONEY can build the ultimate BMX, but "ultimate" in who's eyes, Only with hard graft and elbow grease, do you get "true" satisfaction.
Your own satisfaction is what counts, right?
Ad

Offline DIRTBIKER250F

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Home sweet home
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2008, 11:46 AM »
Its a good question and open to a lot off ar5eholes, (ar5eholes being opinions).
The thing is, ANYBODY can build a show winning bike, the bits are there, somewhere, at a price. There is no such thing, in my opinion, of an "extinct" bicycle part, just gotta locate it and, if the seller knows its worth, pay BIG bucks for it. "ANYBODY" just needs the money to accomplish such a task.
The point is; MONEY can build the ultimate BMX, but "ultimate" in who's eyes, Only with hard graft and elbow grease, do you get "true" satisfaction.
Your own satisfaction is what counts, right?
Ad

Nice Arsehole  :daumenhoch:

Offline diesel

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2008, 12:03 PM »
Clean it/Build it, and if you like it then show it...

I think this will always win through - If you like what you've done that's all that counts

darkersomeday

« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2008, 12:29 PM »
what defines a show bike?

having a bike,
taking to "a show"

and "showing it"

shouldnt the question be,

how do i win a prize at "a show"? :LolLolLolLol:

best survivor anybody?

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  what defines a show bike

gfxgfx
gfx gfx