gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 21, 2024, 01:32 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Restoration of the smoke chrome finish on your Pro-Class frame
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Restoration of the smoke chrome finish on your Pro-Class frame  (Read 8749 times)

Offline DIRTBIKER250F

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Home sweet home
  • Rated:
Re: Restoration of the smoke chrome finish on your Pro-Class frame
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2008, 10:03 PM »
Well i sent Mark a real good pic of a Mongoose Pro Class with the Grey smoked Chrome and he matched almost perfect.
If you can send him a pic then i dont know maybe he can, you will have to speak to Mark dude  :daumenhoch:

Offline Spen69

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • It was less than TWELVE parsecs.... .
  • Rated:
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2008, 12:11 AM »
shiit build but a fooking awesome paint job

Built as i wanted it. What you building then?
Still limping......

Offline stidds

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2008, 02:40 AM »
Holy crap, talk about old news.  I replicated the smoked chrome finish on the Pro Class about 3 years ago.  The problem is nobody bothers to do a search on the site before posting.

« Last Edit: November 15, 2008, 02:41 AM by STIDDS »

Offline DIRTBIKER250F

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Home sweet home
  • Rated:
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2008, 08:12 AM »
Holy crap, talk about old news.  I replicated the smoked chrome finish on the Pro Class about 3 years ago.  The problem is nobody bothers to do a search on the site before posting.

Stidds no offense mate but who wants their bike done of a Gooner  :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol: would love them cranks though  ;)

Offline Spen69

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2008, 08:30 AM »
Wow, everyone gets upset on here a lot don't they :shocked:

Sean - that is a bloody stunning bike fella - I wish I had that kind of cash to spend on a build, but I don't. My point in making the thread was "fook me, after years of looking for a decent Pro-Class I could sensibly afford, I bought a shite one and found a bloke who could do the finish on it for less than a friday night out, so I'm fookin delighted with it. Oh, and all for the cost I sold my Supergoose frame for anyway....."

I love it when people post things like "shite build" but don't say why, and "old news" blah fookin blah. It's not old news to me as I only just got it and I wanted to show the rest of the community that it could be done, so sorry if you all missed the point of the post. As Paul says, I'd love to put the right cranks on like you have, but I want to ride my bike and I can't be spending that kind of cash on my weekend hobby :-\

Chill out fellas. Have a jam sandwich. It's a nice bike and I love it. End of story.

Spen :daumenhoch:
Still limping......

Offline DIRTBIKER250F

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Home sweet home
  • Rated:
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2008, 08:47 AM »
Spen Jam sarnies are old news dude, was having them in the 80s  :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol:

Hootski70

« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2008, 09:17 AM »
Morning bruv people get a bit upperty on this site , whats with all the shite guys this bike is absolutley fecking gourgeous . Built to ride like all our bikes are, if they get like this about your pro class what they gonna be like when they see the heaps i love and ride ? Never under estimate the power of a good jam sarnie ! ;D

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2008, 10:25 AM »
shiit build but a fooking awesome paint job

Built as i wanted it. What you building then?

Pete's building a Haro at the moment, he's giving up on that GT shite  :LolLolLolLol:

Better to crash and burn than fade away

Offline QUADROPHENIA

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2008, 06:53 PM »
Wow, everyone gets upset on here a lot don't they :shocked:

Sean - that is a bloody stunning bike fella - I wish I had that kind of cash to spend on a build, but I don't. My point in making the thread was "fook me, after years of looking for a decent Pro-Class I could sensibly afford, I bought a shite one and found a bloke who could do the finish on it for less than a friday night out, so I'm fookin delighted with it. Oh, and all for the cost I sold my Supergoose frame for anyway....."

I love it when people post things like "shite build" but don't say why, and "old news" blah fookin blah. It's not old news to me as I only just got it and I wanted to show the rest of the community that it could be done, so sorry if you all missed the point of the post. As Paul says, I'd love to put the right cranks on like you have, but I want to ride my bike and I can't be spending that kind of cash on my weekend hobby :-\

Chill out fellas. Have a jam sandwich. It's a nice bike and I love it. End of story.

Spen :daumenhoch:

GT rule end of

Offline Glynnyboy

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2008, 08:13 AM »
Great looking job there matey. Mark does do great work the finish on your pro class looks  :smitten:. The finish on the other looks great and the phase one, well..... wow. On the db finish though, their was a thread on here a while ago where a guy was searching high and low country wide. I can't believe mark (fhm reader) hasn't been approached or the guy on the search at the time didn't try him. If you have a look maybe you will find it , i don't know if the guy ever got sorted or not. :daumenhoch:

magna13

« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2008, 02:27 PM »
Wow Spen, Well done matey!! that pro class is one of best to date... :4_17_5: :4_17_5:

Frosty

« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2008, 02:33 PM »
The problem with the pro-class finish and the HLTurbo is that they are brown and blue tinted smokes respectively. Stidds painted finish was awsome, but he did put some time and effort into getting it how he wanted it. A similar colour would be to use the Raleigh night burner original colour as that seems the most similar - which is probably what Mark has done a lot of.

The DB is a different kettle of fish altogether, Radman has a source who has come closest, but it is a difficult finish to get right - I guess the more people trying to find a suitable finish the better I'm interested because I have one of each that will need doing :daumenhoch:

Offline jimmyp

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2008, 03:23 PM »
looks great  :4_17_5:

fhm reader here i come  ;)

Again  :)

matt

« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2008, 08:31 PM »
looks dam fine to me spen, and i will be sending fhm reader a pm as soon as mine has been rechromed, and if i recal correctly terry cable cranks arnt right for a pro class they came stock with a 1pc i think

Offline Spen69

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2008, 09:02 AM »
Morning all

Yes, the finish on mine is a little "brown" as Mark deoes indeed do a lot of Nightburners for peaople, so the colour he uses is a slight variation on this. As for the "blue-ish" tint for the DB's, I can't comment as I've never seen one in the flesh, but if your bike has a bit of the original finish on it, Mark will try and match it for sure.

I have a completely NOS 175mm Supergoose opc that I was going to put on this, but I think the Pro-Class actually left the factory with a 180mm opc. I put the new Flights on it as I wanted to, but then I always build my bikes how I would have if I'd have had loads of cash when i was younger. I am pretty sure the Pro-Class had Dia-Compe MX1000's on it and I put a Tuff Neck drive on it simply because I like them. The Viscount Aero saddle I think was stock, but I put a Redline layback on it as it was lying around spare - I do have a Renthall waiting to be polished up. Finally I am sure they had Lee-Chi hinged clamps, but the Pro-Class might have had a DC to match the brakes. All in all it's an attempt at re-creating the bike I would have sold my soul to the devil for back in 1983, so I am delighted with it and couldn't care less if it's original or not.

Currently eating a jam sandwhich as Lenny Henry always said back in '83.

Cheers for now guys :daumenhoch:

Spen
Still limping......

Offline stidds

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2008, 09:31 AM »
Spen

Sorry if I came across feisty in my message, look at the time posted, I was p*ssed and just got in.  What a t*sser I came across as..  I was so wasted I am amazed I could type at all let alone post a picture.   :uglystupid2:

As for the finish on yours it is great work and looks really nice.  The finish on mine however didn't cost much at all.  I think it cost me £15 for the paint and I did the work myself.  I actually picked the frame up for free as it was in with a bunch of parts that I bought for £30 and it was at the time of receipt hand painted day-glow pink!!

« Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 09:32 AM by STIDDS »

Offline Spen69

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2008, 03:50 PM »
No worries Sean, I often find myself with strange e-bay bids or web-sites on my history I have no "cough" recollection of at that time of night.... :angel:

Tosser status revoked mate. It's still a bloody nice bike you have there - I would love to have the patience to send all of mine off to be re-done, but I'd only crash it riding round a track, so it's never a good idea me spending too much on restoring :2funny:

I would happily say what I paid Mark to do the finish on mine, but he did me a bit of a favour, so I'll leave it for people to contact him for a quote directly as he owns Impreziv Finishes up in Darlington, so it's not just a hobby, he actally does this for a living. If my frame would have been in better condition beneath the finish it would be even better, but it was a bit scruffy so it is a bit more than cosmetic, but not much. You can all have a look next year at MK'09 when I rip round the track on it >:D

Cheers as always guys - Spen :daumenhoch:
Still limping......

matt

« Reply #42 on: November 19, 2008, 05:29 PM »
how durable is the finish, i know with the db leary turbo as soon as you look at it the finish flakes off, how did it hold up spen when you built her up

Nana

« Reply #43 on: November 19, 2008, 11:28 PM »
So does anyone know which tints to add to the laquer to get this effect ?

just thought id ask  :)

wouldn't mind knowing tuff burner too  ;)

Offline Spen69

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #44 on: November 24, 2008, 02:22 PM »
how durable is the finish, i know with the db leary turbo as soon as you look at it the finish flakes off, how did it hold up spen when you built her up

Mark (I assume) - the finish was amazingly durable to be absolutely honest with you. As usual I dropped a few spanners and hammered the BB and headset in with the finest calibrated timbers and the bike is unscathed, so 10/10 from me :daumenhoch:

Spen
Still limping......

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Restoration of the smoke chrome finish on your Pro-Class frame

gfxgfx
gfx gfx