gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975764 Posts in 138935 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie October 03, 2024, 09:22 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Food for thought
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Food for thought  (Read 360 times)

Voodoocars

Food for thought
« on: November 16, 2008, 05:57 PM »
I was on top of the vert ramp at creation this morn with a guy the same age as us (40ish) who is a skateboarder.It was his 1st time on the deck and was going to drop in.I gave him some words of warning but he had a go, landed like a sack of gold bullion, got knocked out and when he came round his left arm was snapped clean in half about 3 inches down from the shoulder :shocked:.It was wrapped round his back for the first few minutes until we laid him down and supported the floppy limb. Not nice. He faces a few months in discomfort I would imagine. After the ambulance took him away we went home. Just shows how easy a serious injury can happen.

It rarely crosses my mind but when you see an injury like that it makes you think. I'm still goin on thursday tho'.

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
Re: Food for thought
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2008, 06:07 PM »
Thats a bad place to break an arm too....

I'm of the opinion that you can work your way up to some stuff and just progress slowly, but there are some things that are simply a leap of faith, and dropping in a vert ramp is one of those.

Lets hope he recovers alright  :daumenhoch:

Voodoocars

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2008, 06:14 PM »
Yeah the vert is a leap of faith but he was a bit sketchy on the mini ramp anyway!  I did hear some kids on skateboards asking him if he could drop the vert so I think a bit of over enthusiasm mixed with a bit of 'I'll show 'em' thrown in. A dangerous cocktail...

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2008, 08:02 PM »
Oooh dear.....   almost as dangerous as   'just one more go.........'

lodge

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2008, 08:11 PM »
A bit of fear is good at our age if you dont have any the hospital awaits you, what happened exactly ,did he hop over the coping, catch his front wheel etc????

Voodoocars

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2008, 06:40 AM »
No,he was on a skateboard.Just dropped in and crashed.

JT71

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2008, 06:58 AM »
sounds grim.

i have to admit that I look at the vert ramp and some folk, like Ian here, make it look so easy to drop in.
however I look at it and think, okay, so even if I could drop in, then what? I can't do airs, I'm not gonna pop out the other side.
so I think that's best left as a spectator sport for me.  :daumenhoch:

Bushwacked

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2008, 07:07 AM »
I'm with you on that JT71!!!   :daumenhoch:

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2008, 11:09 AM »
What usually happens is people work up to airing at coping level or just a touch out and they do that for weeks or months. Then one session when the mood is right, they drop in.  They might even have learned a variation or two before they drop in.

Dropping in is fundamentally easy, but your head's got to be in the right place.  If you've no intention of riding vert regularly, then there's plenty of other stuff to do to scare the shit out yourself!  ;D

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Food for thought

gfxgfx
gfx gfx