gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975759 Posts in 138934 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 28, 2024, 03:18 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Park, Street & Dirt  |  Holes?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Holes?  (Read 3101 times)

HEYWOOD BMX

Holes?
« on: November 02, 2008, 12:58 AM »
 Just picked up Ride UK Nov issue,looking at the ad for the new Volume First Blood frame.All seems good then I noticed the holes drilled in the seat tube and slots in the headtube.I`m all for progression and new ideas but does all these holes have any point or give any benefit to an otherwise decent frame or is just a gimmick? 

Voodoocars

Re: Holes?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2008, 07:04 AM »
I think its probably being pushed to make it trendy.Holes in the seat tube should be ok.The problem is that I think it looks untidy.I had some bars that i drilled along the cross bar and rear of down tubes- they were ok but whistled on the vert ramp.... :-[

Offline lazychubs

• Founding Fathers
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2008, 09:02 AM »
theres a pict on facebook of some kid who has cut most of his headtube out
and various other bits too .frame looks to scary to ride in my eyes lol

lodge

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2008, 04:14 PM »
Its just keeping weight weenies happy in my opinion, Eastern Grim Reaper frames got holes all over it but at the end of the day its about 2 ounces lighter than my LTF with no holes in it.
Theres probs around half a pound between most n/s frames but look at all the other components on your bike and you will see that half a pound is negible i.e. you could swap a tyre and loose this.
I had a bike on the bay recently and got a shed load of questions about the weight, its all they were interested in. (i didn't have a clue what it weighed)

evamedia

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2008, 08:52 AM »
I remember a whole bike with holes in it from an early action bike, nothings new

dirtbag jnr

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2008, 02:38 PM »
it just to keep the weight down and keep the kids happy, personaly id never ride a frame with holes in as its a bit silly imo, id rather ride a 7 pound t1 than a frame with holes in it.

Offline lazychubs

• Founding Fathers
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2008, 05:47 PM »
emma just so happens i have a 7lb t1 barcode frame lol
ya wanna borrow it  :2funny:

dirtbag jnr

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2008, 08:33 PM »
has it got brake lugs and gyro tabs rhys lol, if it has i'll have it of you lol, ive just bought a colony sect though and i love it but would always build a barcode as a street hack

Bettyswallocks

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2008, 10:35 AM »
Theres a thread on bmx-forum.com with a completely snapped off front end on an eastern.  I wouldnt go near it.  Its trendy and for kids that grind ledges - no danger there ;)  Like what was said, its Negligible

Just had a dig round and found that thread.... Looks like it had a head on with a truck...  :-\

And that was a Reaper frame without cutouts in the frame...  :shocked:

And i've got a Grim Reaper frame with cutouts...  :-[

dirtbag jnr

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2008, 10:57 AM »
ouch, that does not look pretty, bet that hurt

Offline Dark Diggler

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2008, 11:00 AM »
Thats just shit workmanship, no consolation if you have just had ya jaw wired though :(

I'd say you would have to be trying pretty hard to do that to a frame if it were made correctly, cut outs or no cut outs.

Whats the matter Kid, don't ya like clowns? Don't we make you laugh? Aint we fukkin funny?

HEYWOOD BMX

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2008, 11:26 AM »
 :) WTF :LolLolLolLol: Is that the new Eastern Performer with adjustable front end?

welsh denny

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2008, 12:17 PM »
liteweight tubing the same thickness as paper.  could always reweld as a flatland bike.  :LolLolLolLol:

dibly

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2008, 12:26 PM »
Thats just shit workmanship, no consolation if you have just had ya jaw wired though :(

I'd say you would have to be trying pretty hard to do that to a frame if it were made correctly, cut outs or no cut outs.

totally agree thats not just happened coz it has cut outs in the frame, thats taken a massive impact

Bettyswallocks

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2008, 12:42 PM »

totally agree thats not just happened coz it has cut outs in the frame, thats taken a massive impact

Its the Reaper without cutouts dude...  :daumenhoch:

welsh denny

« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2008, 12:42 PM »
i'm sure kye forte did similar to his perv except the downtube went not the toptube. this was at the red bull 3 degrees event in cardiff back in 2004.

as it happened in practice kye took a nasty slam and couldn't enter the actual event.

its prob a number of the factors below combined to wreak the bike like that.

you'll never see a warpig or sabbath end up like that though........... :daumenhoch:

dibly

« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2008, 01:00 PM »
probably not mate but then the riding would not be improving the way it is if all the frames were so heavy iv seen a standard 250 go like that though   :daumenhoch:

JT71

« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2008, 01:24 PM »
massive impacts will do that to most any frame....though the Heavy as F**ks I have hanging in my garage look like they'd stand up to a lot, but they probaby weigh three timess (maybe more?) what a modern top end frame weighs.

if you want light weight you have to spend the money buying the lightest frame/forks and components and there's plenty to choose from right here on RAD.  :daumenhoch: you want light buy something specifically designed and engineered to be light.

if you are going to start drilling bits off your frame and components to reduce weight then the saving is going to be negligible and you will no doubt be weakening your bike. you'd be better off having a glass of prune juice an hour before you ride and having a massive dump as that'll save more overall weight. however I do understand it's the bike's weight rather than the rider that makes some stuff more easy to pull.

if it was a case of just drilling holes all over everything (which would look really reall sh1t) to reduce weight then wouldn't bikes come like that? like odyssey brakes and seat clamps from the 90s?

lodge

« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2008, 04:52 PM »
those pics are shocking, could the downtube of been dented?????? i thought the forks may have gone before the frame .

evamedia

« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2008, 08:08 AM »
In the 90's I went through loads of forks, now you get a lifetime guarantee, the inertia that used to bend your forks has to go somewhere.

SaMAlex

« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2008, 08:24 AM »
I saw Stuart King do the exact same thing to an early (very strong, very heavy) standard frame. It totally bent in half, due partly to the almost solid King forks he was using.

Enough impact will bend any Frames and/or forks. The bike you ride comes down to a question of your riding style, and how often you wanna have to buy new parts.

firebird4130

« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2008, 08:37 AM »
Yeah jon barnet snapped a standard when he jumped one of our jumps called the stinger in hastings a long time ago haha That had king forks too

SaMAlex

« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2008, 08:43 AM »

King forks were very strong, but like Evamedia said, that inertia has got to go somewhere. Some even argue for leaving your stem a little bit loose so your bars just move forward, but thats not one Id want to try.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Park, Street & Dirt  |  Holes?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx