gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975629 Posts in 138927 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee June 28, 2024, 04:49 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  ***and 2 for fans of harry leary***
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: ***and 2 for fans of harry leary***  (Read 2170 times)

wolfybmx

***and 2 for fans of harry leary***
« on: October 26, 2008, 12:02 PM »

these were good times

KELLOGS............AND CHECK THE HEIGHT OF THAT GATE
« Last Edit: October 26, 2008, 12:26 PM by wolfy@tibbscyclestore »

mr.magoo

Re: ***and 2 for fans of harry leary***
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2008, 05:08 PM »
cool pics phil, wasn't a big fan bitd, but now he's cool, cos even though he was in his early 20's back then he still looked older than i am now :LolLolLolLol:

Offline Dingobmxer

• Founding Fathers
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2008, 06:32 AM »

:) DINGO :)

Offline priv

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2008, 09:23 AM »
my fave rider,bald head,fat neck,skills to burns,awesome

priv

kdubbmx

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2008, 09:54 AM »
Harry was very dedicated always wanted things 'just right'

I crashed while leading a moto at an NBL race in 1982 at Olney, it was on a really fast downhill part of the track & he went ballistic at me asking what i was playing at racing there with only one brake on my bike that barely worked, get serious he said!!!

We put a front brake on my bike & got the rear working properly, then he advised me to get one or two more pedal strokes in at the end of the first straight to get ahead of the guy i was battling with & use the front brake to let me brake later than anyone else.

It worked & i won the rest of the motos & the main that day & learnt something that i've carried with me to this day, its certainly helped in 4x as well!!  :daumenhoch:

spesh

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2008, 10:01 AM »
one of my fave pics

mr.magoo

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2008, 06:54 PM »
those leary pics are awesome, had them on my bedroom wall for a few years :LolLolLolLol:

thats a funny story about front brake, everyone used to take the p outta me bitd, cos i always had a front brake, and i used to use the same idea...unfortunately i wasn't lucky enough to have had the advise from a pro, just worked it out for myself :'(

DR VINOAH

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2008, 09:40 PM »
yup
gotta lot of time for HL

this pic im sure was put up a while back by redbarron

leary getting all airy to flat on JMC

dialledbikes

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2008, 11:20 AM »
Harry is one of the most stylish riders ever to grace BMX.  Had lots of his posters on my wall as a kid as Freewheeler was always very generous when I wrote to them begging for Diamond Back stickers and goodies.

What a shame that a cool brand like Diamond Back isn't cool anymore.  Everything about Diamond Back was so slick/pro back in the day.

Offline southern andy

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2008, 12:43 PM »

What a shame that a cool brand like Diamond Back isn't cool anymore.  Everything about Diamond Back was so slick/pro back in the day.

Do you think that's the same with Mongoose and GT aswell Mike ??????  They were all cool bikes back then but their bikes today don't seem to be of that quality .

One build a year, the only way to get it right. No rushing involved.

dialledbikes

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2008, 01:19 PM »

Do you think that's the same with Mongoose and GT aswell Mike ??????  They were all cool bikes back then but their bikes today don't seem to be of that quality .

Yep, but to a lesser extent.  Diamond Back just seems to exist for the sake of it.  GT still make an effort and a few nice bikes (e.g. Ultrabox - the aluminium one, not the carbon one).

In fact, I think the same applies to most of the brands we coveted as kids.  Redline and Haro being the 2 main exceptions.

When we were kids most of these great companies were still growing and in the hands of the people who created them.  Now most are just one of many brands owned by a big corporation (e.g. SE Racing/Fuji; and Mongoose, GT & Schwinn/Pacific), so are driven purely by sales figures, not by quality or a love of the sport.

Offline Bananaman

• BMX Nerd
  • Le Mans Man
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2008, 04:46 PM »
one of my fave pics

And one of mine :4_17_5:

Offline jT Racing

• BMX Overlord
  • i like bikes. :/
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2008, 05:35 PM »
like the gold and blue turbo :shocked: top pics.
ding dong

hoffan

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2008, 05:22 AM »

kdubbmx

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2008, 09:19 PM »
For those of us lucky enough to have seen Harry Leary do a 'Leary', it was something to remember forever!!  :angel:

kennyhunter6061

« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2008, 08:35 PM »
It's a shame we don't see more modern pro racers with the style of Harry Leary.  The pro racers of today are way faster but it seems to be at the expense of any style and 'coolness'.  It was riders like Harry who made bmx in the 80's 'cool'.  I totally admire the skills of newschool pros who seem to just blast round any track making the biggest most technical jumps appear easy, but they don't inspire me to want to get out there and ride like the pros of the 80's did.  I'm not expecting any racers to start busting out 360's mid-race but it would be nice to see some pics of today's top pros laying on some style like it used to be.  Maybe then the likes of Ride magazine would be more interested in running some race pics.

chromeOrange

« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2008, 10:20 AM »
Thanks for this posting sir.

Proper 'memory lane' and effortless style indeed...

Mark.

Offline se-bmxer

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2008, 10:40 AM »
It's a shame we don't see more modern pro racers with the style of Harry Leary.  The pro racers of today are way faster but it seems to be at the expense of any style and 'coolness'.  It was riders like Harry who made bmx in the 80's 'cool'.  I totally admire the skills of newschool pros who seem to just blast round any track making the biggest most technical jumps appear easy, but they don't inspire me to want to get out there and ride like the pros of the 80's did.  I'm not expecting any racers to start busting out 360's mid-race but it would be nice to see some pics of today's top pros laying on some style like it used to be.  Maybe then the likes of Ride magazine would be more interested in running some race pics.

Problem is if they style too much these days the officials would deem it unsafe and disqualify them  :crazy2:, anyway i think the most stylish UK pro rider today is deffo Marcus Bloomfield
and T J Baldwin for a non pro rider, very entertaining to watch

Offline jT Racing

• BMX Overlord
  • i like bikes. :/
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2008, 03:08 PM »
it fun to see alex styling round the Mk track.
Mk was a laugh, happy days.
ding dong

sweetbeats

« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2008, 03:11 PM »
Harry is cool..love the old DB ads.

Met him at Kellogs and he signed my zoom plate that sid sailsbury gave me :daumenhoch:

:)

kennyhunter6061

« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2008, 05:49 PM »

Problem is if they style too much these days the officials would deem it unsafe and disqualify them  :crazy2:, anyway i think the most stylish UK pro rider today is deffo Marcus Bloomfield
and T J Baldwin for a non pro rider, very entertaining to watch

I know what you mean Jai, but I don't mean when they're racing.  It would just be nice to see some pics of some pro racers busting out some style like Harry & co did bitd.  Or maybe they can't get stylish anymore using clip pedals.  >:D  But that's another debate!

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  ***and 2 for fans of harry leary***

gfxgfx
gfx gfx