gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975760 Posts in 138934 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 29, 2024, 10:29 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  Llewellyn Bros
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Llewellyn Bros  (Read 8073 times)

lodge

Llewellyn Bros
« on: October 25, 2008, 06:13 PM »
I just seen a pic of a Gary in the Biggest Jump thread and just wondered if anyone on here knew what happened to the Llewellyn bros.
I spent some time with them in 84 they just cracked me up, they constantly wound each other up it was hillarious.
Really nice guys though.

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
Re: Llewellyn Bros
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2008, 06:16 PM »
i think someone mentioned them in a thread a few weeks back
2 big mothers    i will see if i can find the thread they both attended the rad event in 05 i think

mr.magoo

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2008, 06:24 PM »
my understanding of the situation may well be wrong, so don't take it as read.....

i was going through some really old stuff in the old school section on BMx talk, and saw some bits posted by Simon Hayes.

Reading inbetween the lines Wayne is into some form of fighting, bare knuckle, martial arts, not sure, but think he fights in the USA and think he was champ???

there was something about Gary, but says that wayne wouldn't discuss him, and like i said just had a quick flit through the thread, but my understanding was that Gary was in some kind of institution???

Like i say I may have it wrong, and tbh hope i have, cos those two, Charlie Reynolds and Delbert Husband were my heroes bitd, and my bigest inspiration. :4_17_5:

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2008, 06:25 PM »
yep that kinda sums up what i read but on a rad thread  .rad pair them boys

mr.magoo

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2008, 06:37 PM »
riding style all of their own, but oh so effective, absolute pleasure to watch

Offline QUADROPHENIA

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2008, 06:56 PM »

they showed up at bournemouth 05 , with that huge fecker of a man charlie reynolds

lodge

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2008, 07:11 PM »
That doesn't sound the best, pretty gutted to be honest.
I know they had a difficult upbringing but its not my place to go into any detail.
We all stayed at the Jarvis household for a week in 84 to have this done. good times.

Offline kdw712

• 900 Air
    • kdw712 bmx adventures in old school
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2008, 07:22 PM »
heres some pics from the 05 at bournemouth

cheers Kev
{ wanted : "Red Haro Handle" brake lever link to my trade post }

kdubbmx

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2008, 07:24 PM »
Can anyone name everyone in the above pics at Bournemouth???????  ???

mr.magoo

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2008, 07:27 PM »
absolutely awesome, dunno who looks the meanest, Gary wayne or charlie. Would have loved to have been there, real nostalgia.

lodge

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2008, 07:28 PM »
Wow really great to see present day pics of em, thanks for posting. :4_17_5:

lodge

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2008, 07:37 PM »
This is Wayne doing a freestyle demo in 83 and thats Neil Ruffel RIP holding the bike. (sorry forgot to post pic)
« Last Edit: October 25, 2008, 07:40 PM by stevemcintosh »

Offline Mattdub

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2008, 10:32 PM »

Lower pic : Chris Taylor - ? - Mark Leach - Charlie Reynolds - Jamie Vince - Gary Llewellyn - Tony Slater - Craig Schofield ( with you hidin' behind him keith ) - Billy Stupple - Jason Maloney - Sid Salisbury - Andy Ruffell - Wayne Llewellyn .

Pic above that : To Wayne's left is Geth Shooter & John Stockwell in front of Wayne .

Wayne was a boxer , may have changed disciplines ? .

kdubbmx

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2008, 10:40 PM »

Lower pic : Chris Taylor - ? - Mark Leach - Charlie Reynolds - Jamie Vince - Gary Llewellyn - Tony Slater - Craig Schofield ( with you hidin' behind him keith ) - Billy Stupple - Jason Maloney - Sid Salisbury - Andy Ruffell - Wayne Llewellyn .

Pic above that : To Wayne's left is Geth Shooter & John Stockwell in front of Wayne .

You missed Craig Strong in the lower pic (on the end with his son)  >:(

lodge

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2008, 10:45 PM »
That doesn't sound the best, pretty gutted to be honest.
I know they had a difficult upbringing but its not my place to go into any detail.
We all stayed at the Jarvis household for a week in 84 to have this done. good times.

Steve what have you sprayed over Steve Greaves ??? lol

:LolLolLolLol: Nowt he was foaming at the mouth as i would have been standing behind Alexia Jarvis i thought she was well hot.

Offline Mattdub

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2008, 12:23 AM »

My bad Keith , who the f*ck would recognise Craig Strong 20+ years later with shades/cap etc ! lol .

;)

kdubbmx

« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2008, 12:53 AM »
Well i didnt & i was there talking to him & i raced him BITD!  :D

You did good Matt!!!!!!  :coolsmiley:

Offline QUADROPHENIA

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2008, 05:49 AM »

as in the wheelie guy ?

kdubbmx

« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2008, 07:10 AM »
The very one! He was no.1 in the 15's before he did the wheelie stuff, then known as 'cooking Craig Strong'

oldmankev

« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2008, 10:50 AM »
Going back to that piccy is that Mr Boughton standing right
behind you keith, and i can see Neil Hopes Lee Alexander &
Tony Flemming. Craigs wheelie bike was more of a unicycle
with a front wheel attached fixed gearing very low and a
banana seat to keep the weight back must of been quite
easy just my opinion.

mr.magoo

« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2008, 05:06 PM »
if thats right about the wheelie king, then yeah shoulda been easy, shattered all my illusions from childhood now.

mr.magoo

« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2008, 05:18 PM »
would never debate his skills, but didn't he brake the world record for the longest wheelie? like i say i was in awe when i heard about how long he kept it up, and as kids we were told a story about how it was a standard bike, but his ballance was soo good, he'd remove the front end, bars forks headset and all while riding, to stop his legs getting tired pushing the extra weight.

Guess were all a bit gullable at 12?

Offline kdw712

• 900 Air
    • kdw712 bmx adventures in old school
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2008, 05:47 PM »
here ya go

cheers Kev
{ wanted : "Red Haro Handle" brake lever link to my trade post }

kdubbmx

« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2008, 05:48 PM »
I was in the same wheelie comp at pickets lock jan 83, i wheelied round on my race bike (torker pro), Craig pulled out this creation specially built to wheelie on, as Kev says it had a banana seat & fixed wheel, that meant you could ride it without your hands on the bars all day long, he even read a magazine holding it with both hands, he rode round the outside of the indoor roller skating rink for so long that we forgot he was still there several times!

Thing is although it wasnt a true wheelie as we know it he didnt break any rules so deserved to get the record.

Yes Kev that is blocker Boughton  ;) behind me in the pic, only just seen him there though as i didnt know him at the time!!  :)

lodge

« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2008, 06:23 PM »
Great to see a pic, I was hoping someone would post one. seen him ride a few times bitd he did a demo at Holeshot 84 thats the time that sticks in my mind.
I knew about the fixed wheel and banana seat but the bike looks even more modded, check the drilled forks and stem with no reach, man he must of been serious about wheelie's eh.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  Llewellyn Bros

gfxgfx
gfx gfx