gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975759 Posts in 138934 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 29, 2024, 07:33 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Resto trouble
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Resto trouble  (Read 1003 times)

Offline Peanut

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
Resto trouble
« on: January 23, 2006, 02:14 PM »
I've run into a couple of problems. I knackered the seatpost getting it out but I have a nice layback I want to use instead, thing is it's too skinny for the frame, are there spacers you can get?

Also the bars on closer inspection look like they've been cut down, anyone got any good ideas on how to extend them back to the width they should be?

sam hudson

Re: Resto trouble
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2006, 02:19 PM »
The shims that came with my Uni seat were just plastic.I'm not sure about over the counter stuff but you could always try to make some shims out of plasticard.It comes in different grade thicknesses.You would have to bend it down at the top tho (to create a lip)to stop it slipping down the seatpost tube.Its easy to manipulate tho,so it shouldnt be too much trouble.
Hopefully tho,someone will know an easier way :daumenhoch:

I would imagine that to safely extend bars you would have to cut the extention tubing to the desired length and then get some smaller grade tubing to fit inside the extentions and the original bars...and then weld the lot up.I wouldnt imagine that a straight weld would be strong enough without an insert....but then i'm not a welder. ::)

Good luck
« Last Edit: January 23, 2006, 02:21 PM by sam hudson »

theRuler

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2006, 02:37 PM »
sounds like you want to run an oldschool sized post in a newschool sized frame.
hmmm
havent seen any shims to do this before.
you could give alans a ring - he will know

as for the bars
once they are cut, they are cut

they are better narrower anyway, rather than yeehah cowhorns ;)

Offline bodamus

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2006, 02:39 PM »
You can always make your own shim the oldschool way by cutting one out of a Coke tin, this way you can create your own thickness of shim.

Or if you don't want to be a cheapskate try alansbmx they probably have shims metal and plastic versions which will hold your seatpost in.

From bodamus ;)

theRuler

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2006, 02:40 PM »
the difference between old posts and new o/s posts is quite a lot
maybe make a shim using a section of a new oversized post with a slot in it?

Sanmarcopizza

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2006, 02:51 PM »
You can buy shims for lots of sizes. look on somewhere like wiggle or chain reaction. It is also possible to do a makeshift extension of the handle bars. Get a piec of wooden dowel that is a snug fit inside the bar and hammer it into place and cut to size. Use cloth tape or similar to build the thickness of the dowel out to the same thickness of the bars, then put your grips on. As long as you are not looking to extend by more than an inch the wood should hold up reasonably well as the majority of your weight is on the thumb end of your palms.

Sanmarcopizza

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2006, 02:59 PM »
Neither of the shops I mentioned above have shims for 22.2mm post, but I found some here http://www.unicycle.uk.com/shop/shopdisplayproduct.asp?catalogid=55

Offline Peanut

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2006, 03:13 PM »
wicked, thanx guys, I'm on a tight budget with this one so the wood idea sounds just up my street!

theRuler

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2006, 03:18 PM »
i always cut my bars down.
they look better, and are easier to ride when narrower

so long as you can still fit levers on there though!

Offline Peanut

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2006, 03:23 PM »
That's jus it, I think the last gut who had it was either a Spen or a ten year old, either way they didn't do a good job as one side is longer than the other (I'm guessing the side he had the lever on) I can't see how I'm going to fit a standard set of grips and some levers on there.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Resto trouble

gfxgfx
gfx gfx