gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975759 Posts in 138934 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 29, 2024, 05:18 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  StreetBeat Rear Brake & Finish
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: StreetBeat Rear Brake & Finish  (Read 733 times)

Offline Wayne Ryder

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
StreetBeat Rear Brake & Finish
« on: January 23, 2006, 01:20 PM »
My StreetBeat F&F arrived, and I'm a happy bunny.
I think I'm going to make a rider out of it with period parts, kind of 'the bike I never got to ride' from back in the day (when I had a bloody Trick Star...).
The problem is the rear brake. I was originally going to get lugs welded, but I can't find anywhere locally to do it. Don't want to send it away and incur more charges for postage etc. So I was wondering if anyone knew if it was possible to use a 990 plate mounted on the short bit of tube between the chainstays. I can drill through the frame to fit an adjuster, no problem. It looks like it should be do-able, but I've not had time to check it out. Or a plate.

As far as the finish, I've shunned chrome, paint and powder. Too expensive and again, the bike's gone for a time at great cost and I'm trying to do this on a budget.
A friend of mine once restored an old bayonet and did the scabbard with Gun Blue. The shop I spoke to (Target Sports, Bolton) have never heard of anyone doing a bike before, so it's all the more reason to try it out. Should turn out good, and pretty weatherproof.

theRuler

Re: StreetBeat Rear Brake & Finish
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2006, 01:24 PM »
you could probably mount a 990 plate on that little bar ok
may be easier to mount it at the top though!!

Offline Wayne Ryder

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2006, 04:03 PM »
Very true, but all the bikes I've owned with welded lugs have had them on the chainstays -not sure why that's just so happened to be.
Force of habit & appearance was making me think the brake was best placed there.

theRuler

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2006, 04:04 PM »
either is ok mate!!
mount it on the underside of the top bar, and see if it reaches ok

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  StreetBeat Rear Brake & Finish

gfxgfx
gfx gfx