gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975757 Posts in 138934 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 26, 2024, 11:50 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  Biggest jumps back in the day
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Biggest jumps back in the day  (Read 7256 times)

Dennis Dain

Re: Biggest jumps back in the day
« Reply #50 on: November 06, 2008, 03:44 AM »
In the black & white photo how do you get air after climbing that  huge hill?

Priv, if you look in the background of the black & white you are looking at the the first turn, then a downhill sprint to the ledge of the Bomsai drop. When we got to the bottom of Bonsai we were completely spinning a 46 16 gearing. Then we cross the flats and hit the uphill side,  a 10 foot rise, fly over 6 feet of flat and land on the side of the hill, all while turning left.

I don't know if you guys over there have heard but there is a documentary of Stu in the works. A lot of the best clips from "Joe Kid on a Sting Ray", the 70s part, are movies that Stu's dad took. I have copies of about 9 hours of racing and riding from the 70s. The same guys that made Joe Kid are making the Documentary. I know there are movies of Bonsai, I don't know if they will be in the movie but we can hope... :)

Dennis Dain

« Reply #51 on: November 06, 2008, 04:15 AM »
Dennis, i guess you'd left Redline by the time i rode for them, the picked me up in late 81 & i left at the end of the 82 season, i did come over & raced in the US in the summer of 82, the guys on the team there then were Stu, Jon Anderson, Greg Grubbs, Denny Davidow (i think), might 've been more but my memory is failing me now!

What years did you ride for them??

KDUB, I think I was officially on Redline at the end of 78. The team was David Clinton, Jeff Ruminer, Greg Hill and me. I was on Redline when I officially quit racing in June of 79. (long story short) My dad passed away and I decided it was time to move on and join the real world.

The funny thing about the names you mentioned above, Jon Anderson is my brother-in-law. ;D

84profile

« Reply #52 on: November 06, 2008, 12:19 PM »
Sorry if you frequent the other OS BMX sites, I've posted this a few times..this one me in 1984 on my Profile in Australia:

I still have it

mr.magoo

« Reply #53 on: November 07, 2008, 10:31 AM »
awesome height, and even more awesome bike :smitten:

Offline AllAzusacroozer

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #54 on: December 22, 2008, 12:35 PM »
By no means the BIGGEST but some of the best at the time where these at Illson (the Holmes' and Shooter's Local track)photographed by my old man. Great little track, really quick into them and followed by tight 180 berm straight after!

Pic has Dale Holmes in front during Shenpar JMC days (1 3/8 Rims back then), And Derby's Michael Bates and Leicester's Martin Seddon (thanks to DH.com)

Offline AllAzusacroozer

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #55 on: December 22, 2008, 12:40 PM »
Especially for you Mr Magoo, me (same age group as it goes) over the wigan 2nd straight doubles on my only visit, (NBMXA man really)

mr.magoo

« Reply #56 on: December 22, 2008, 01:25 PM »
1 3/8, landed the massive jump at hayes when i was 13, overshot and landed on flat, back wheel exploded sent me flying backwards into a floodlight stand without any protective wrapping around it.....that looks like a nice set of doubles dale is taking

2nd straight at Wigan, dip in middle looks too small to be them

thats how i remember them, just about to jump them on my JMC, think its '84 latest '85. UKBMX all the way, nothing against Nicky Dalton, but competition was harder in UKBMX

so did we ever meet on track?

Offline AllAzusacroozer

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #57 on: December 23, 2008, 08:27 AM »
Looking at my picture again it looks like these doubles are just heading into the pro section, (seems flat in foreground)

Mr Magoo i doubt we did ever race other, only likely chance would be Perry Park Coca Cola sponsored which i think was UKBMX version of the Greyhound stadium NB meetings.  The midlands was very much NBMXA really but i did a few UK regionals, i seem to remember Leicester, Norton Canes and Birmingham Wheels, i ended ranked 9th for the year (Not many riders did all the rounds).  In NBMXA my home club Derby raced West Midlands first so i was up against the likes of Nick Dalton and Mark O'Connor then Derby went to East Midlands which was probably even harder. Paul Clarkson, Simon Carter, Ian Dixon, Alan Pointing, Rob Males were all in my age group.  In 13-15 cruisers i also had Dale to contend with.

Anyway more pictures

Norton Canes UKBMX Regional?

NBMXA west midlands at Solihull?

NBMXA west midlands, Pro section at the Brilliant but slightly mad Wordsley! You got round the first berm clean maybe once every 3 motos

sweetbeats

« Reply #58 on: December 23, 2008, 06:34 PM »
Loving that profile bike and pic..:daumenhoch:

gossa

« Reply #59 on: December 23, 2008, 11:35 PM »
Martin we used to have some fun old kod's on that stepdown mate!  Biggest doubles I can remember were the set at the Euros track in Belguim (87?), pretty mad, big double at the Worlds in Marseille (90/91?)  but here I would say Slough third straight and I remember Whitehaven secong straight had a killer set.

I remember getting to Wigan and they revamped it with the pro section starting at the first berm with 3 sets of big doubles before you even got to Kong, that was a scary track!

But still, to this day, one of the raddest things I have ever seen, and i've been around, is Trevor Chapman and Gary Southgate jusmping the coffins at Birmingham Wheels on the Mongoose sidehack......

kdubbmx

« Reply #60 on: December 24, 2008, 05:56 PM »
Did the hack survive???

Lee Shurey

« Reply #61 on: December 24, 2008, 07:26 PM »
Dont know how i used to land these

gossa

« Reply #62 on: December 26, 2008, 10:37 PM »
Did the hack survive???

Oh yes Keith mate, silky smooth they were........

kdubbmx

« Reply #63 on: December 26, 2008, 11:54 PM »
Trevor Chapman wasnt that smooth when he ploughed into the back of me in the second turn at the Anglo-Am when Harry Leary brake checked us, felt like a double decker bus hitting me!!!!!!!  :yahoo_silent:

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #64 on: December 27, 2008, 07:33 AM »
Dont know how i used to land these

Easy that one Lee, how's the back these days  :D

Merry Xmas btw  :daumenhoch:

Better to crash and burn than fade away

gossa

« Reply #65 on: December 28, 2008, 10:05 PM »
Trevor Chapman wasnt that smooth when he ploughed into the back of me in the second turn at the Anglo-Am when Harry Leary brake checked us, felt like a double decker bus hitting me!!!!!!!  :yahoo_silent:

Ah he was a powerful bugger was Trevor, was that on his MCS?  On the hack though I think he and Southgate were pretty untouchable, maybe that stupid power was better put to good use pulling a monkey along?!

kdubbmx

« Reply #66 on: December 29, 2008, 09:34 AM »

Ah he was a powerful bugger was Trevor, was that on his MCS?  On the hack though I think he and Southgate were pretty untouchable, maybe that stupid power was better put to good use pulling a monkey along?!

Think it was actually, hadnt heard of him before then & thought he was one of the yanks cos didnt hear him speak before that!!  ;)

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  Biggest jumps back in the day

gfxgfx
gfx gfx