gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 25, 2024, 06:14 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Mid School BMX (>87) 1989 to 2003 (<05)  |  Mid School ( Keep the faith )  |  mid school is the new old school!
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: mid school is the new old school!  (Read 1669 times)

Offline generallee

• Look Back
  • Rated:
mid school is the new old school!
« on: October 24, 2008, 09:50 AM »
Is it me, or has the Mid School bug caught a lot of people this year? I seem to be getting a lot of pm's asking ' what tyres/bars/brakes/rims were poeple using in 1992/3/4 etc etc '
which is cool - I guess many are building them now as they are sometimes easier to source, cheaper to buy, and actually rideable too!
The only downside is ALex and I will have a harder job cleaning up in the mid school class at MK show and shine from now on!
steve

Offline kev-s

• 900 Air
  • I bought a site tag and my girth increased by 10%
  • Rated:
Re: mid school is the new old school!
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2008, 09:54 AM »
ive also noticed alot of people are gettin into the midschool era esp the s&m side of things, which is good in one way but bad in another as it will push up prices, but overall it can only be a good thing and hopefully more people who rode in the 90's will get back on a bike :daumenhoch: :daumenhoch:

Offline GINGERHOLMES

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2008, 10:12 AM »
i have to agree

i have only just got back into riding and i'm loving every second  :daumenhoch: :daumenhoch:

plus your totally right about the bikes being rideable, im enjoying the hunt for the bits that i want and the best bit is u can ride the bikes hard once they are finished, and im looking forward to getting to some of the RAD arranged events in the future  :) :)

motomagII

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2008, 10:29 AM »
im getting more into 90s stuff to as again cheaper and more rideable i dont have new school and my rider is at moment a haro master with 90s fittings.im looking to find a 2 hip or bully to ride and build on the cheapish side

Offline Stodgy

• BMX Overlord
    • RADBMX Shop
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2008, 10:34 AM »
And all this after I sold all but one of my Hoffman Collection...

FFS.

fouronethreeoh!

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2008, 10:57 AM »
People were still riding o/s stuff in the early nineties, they were kinda mongrel bikes, when bits broke they were replaced with newer stuff, also the "old" bikes could be picked up for like 50 quid so trashing them didnt seem to matter.

Offline Del

• Look Back
  • Re-living my youth!
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2008, 11:31 AM »
From being an Old school only person its starting to bite and I'm really beginining to get into this Mid school lark.

JT71

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2008, 11:44 AM »
91 Haro, Dirt Bros TA replica, HAF frame and forks (x2)

nah, midschool is sh1t and will never catch on.

:LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol:

Offline Del

• Look Back
  • Re-living my youth!
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2008, 11:45 AM »
91 Haro, Dirt Bros TA replica, HAF frame and forks (x2)

nah, midschool is sh1t and will never catch on.

:LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol:

Good point Joe.. I'll stick to my bright coloured 80's stuff  >:D

Offline generallee

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2008, 12:43 PM »
I had a whole bundle of old school bikes - abhout 7 looptail rippers, quadangles, assasins, race incs, bullys etc etc etc
then realised I love mid school too much .. so here is whats in my current line up to be built...[!!]

old school -
Race Inc 24" cruiser
Hutch Pro Racer
Kuwahara ET
Looptail ripper

mid school -

S&m Holmes 93
S&M DirtBike 92
S&M Challenger 93
91 purple PK Ripper
97 baby blue pk ripper
97 anodised green pk ripper
TNT Pro XL
1990 pitbull mount SE Quadangle
Robinson Amtrac
1994 Auburn CR20rx

Offline OrgasmDonor

• Berm Worm
  • I got the sauce for beef butterflies
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2008, 01:00 PM »
got bit by midschool a couple of years ago n coz they are great riders i sold all my oldschool bikes n bits (except my GHP), about 5 haro sports to be precise to fund 8 top dollar midschool builds, 3 to be finished off but apart from 2 sets of bars and 2 pairs of scabby tripletrap peds, ive got all the bitz i need, thank god :LolLolLolLol:

and not an S&M to be seen :-[ :LolLolLolLol:

subversion

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2008, 02:34 PM »
and not an S&M to be seen :-[ :LolLolLolLol:

That makes for a refreshing change! :LolLolLolLol:

Not wishing to offend the 'SMOG' lot on this forum but there's a world of mid-skool choice out there!

Most of our local lot rode hard all the way through the mid-skool years. There was a lot more variation in the builds & whole lot of good bikes & riders with individuality. Not like all the 'samey' new skool shit today >:D

They were the BEST years by far :daumenhoch:

Miko

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2008, 05:45 PM »
They were the BEST years by far :daumenhoch:

Agreed.  The individuality eventually became the mainstream.  I lost interest when bikes gained 15 pounds (7 kilos), and everyone wanted an all black bike.  A sea of nondescript tanks and skateboard envy.  But if you look in a catalog (catalogue) today, you'll see that mid-school is also the new-school.  The colors and frame shapes.  Albeit a less earnest and tactfully pre-packaged form of it.

lodge

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2008, 06:18 PM »
I dont do any builds other than N/S but could be tempted by S&M or Standard mid school stuff (I'm fighting it to be honest) its just so much nicer than 80's stuff and the rider run things a big factor, as i have said before i had so many rubbish bikes in the 80's i have no ambition to own one today there best left in the 80's for me.

This threads interesting, i rode for periods in the mid school era and i think you could say there was a huge variation in bikes you still had peeps who rode chrome frames with platforms 4 pegs two brakes gyro 4 piece bars etc but you also had bikes (S&M usally) running one brake two piece bars and frame geometry similar to n/s. A huge BMX evolution was going on which IMO was S&M's doing and they were bob on, I recall looking at there bikes with one brake etc and didn't care for them but today i ride a bike thats not far away from that and so does everyone else because it works best they were so ahead of there time.

This is one of the 80's bikes i refer to  :LolLolLolLol:

FIL EBZ

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2008, 07:07 PM »
Mid School was about riding whatever you could get your hands on. Just about evrythig that is rare and desirable in the oldschool scene now was destroyed in the name of grinding wall riding and general bicycle abuse.

saw hutchs` with every weld broken, PK`s with rear chain stays worn through,profiles with snappeed forks and Mk1 Masters with seat tubes snapped off and so much more.

I gave up riding when 5 and 6 mm rear drop outs became thenorm.

Fil

bmxbert

« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2008, 10:44 PM »
i started bmx in about 94 at the ripe age of 12. the best thing about it was the amount of people willing to help you out in a pinch and older guys that rode then were good honest guys. i remember a guy tried to pinch a beat up old mongoose supergoose that someone gave to me to get me started. all the older guys at leigh recoverd it for me within an hour and i never saw the tea leaf at the park again. without that comfort zone i would probably not carried on. not only that but i was a sh*t back then and without bmx i would have been out causing trouble.

long and short is bmx has been one of the best learning curves in my life and i probably owe more than i think to it. i reckon alot of kids now days will also benifit from the friendly atmosphere created by this great hobby and mid school is where it was all at.

build it ride it love it

even if it is a sh*tter.

:daumenhoch:

JT71

« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2008, 07:05 AM »
bmxbert swap/sell me your stickered HAF frame.

no one wants a frame with 6mm drop outs do they?  :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol:

bmxbert

« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2008, 11:25 AM »
what s&m parts you got for trade??????

JT71

« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2008, 11:33 AM »
only a plain HAf frame...maybe a set of ditch forks too if it's a deal breaker.

bmxbert

« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2008, 11:47 AM »
 ::) hmm i'll have a little think.i really need a redneck shafted in good nick. if u got any decent superpro wheels i could give you the frame and posibly some wedge???
to be honest im not that fussed if it goes mate. im quite fond of it and know that although its not that desirable at the moment when the s&m thing hits as hard as haro now is this little baby will probably end up worth a pretty sum of £££££

condor96

« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2008, 04:46 PM »
i never got into the new school bikes. ive always been a mid-school guy. just something about it, ill never leave. i love it.

darkersomeday

« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2008, 04:53 PM »
only a plain HAf frame...maybe a set of ditch forks too if it's a deal breaker.

i've got a HAF sticker kit for that here :daumenhoch:

always more sought after with the right stickers eh?

Offline gary4130

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2008, 08:57 AM »
yeah mid school rules  :LolLolLolLol: i just prefer to ride mid and the bikes you still could ride everything on 1 bike-remember dave mirra +jay miron shredding vert on big daddys ?

condor96

« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2008, 04:26 PM »
yeah i remember when they rode big daddys. they are really good for mini ramp riding. a bit small to ride ramps for me but......... thats why i have condors and big daddys.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Mid School BMX (>87) 1989 to 2003 (<05)  |  Mid School ( Keep the faith )  |  mid school is the new old school!

gfxgfx
gfx gfx