gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975762 Posts in 138935 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 30, 2024, 11:31 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  What's your bag? Riding? Show builds? or Both?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: What's your bag? Riding? Show builds? or Both?  (Read 1939 times)

JT71

What's your bag? Riding? Show builds? or Both?
« on: October 22, 2008, 11:31 AM »
just wondering as there seems to be a lot of folk riding and not many taking up the Show N Shine for the xmas party.

is it connected to the credit crunch? you have a bike and riding is a cheap past time whereas building show bikes ain't cheap?

I know currently I'm only really interested in riding.

moomin

Re: What's your bag? Riding? Show builds? or Both?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2008, 11:35 AM »
Like riding New and Old, and building bikes although they will be budget builds at the moment :'(

Offline Jt

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2008, 11:35 AM »
fook knows.

just like bikes

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2008, 11:37 AM »
personally i've never collected/built OS bikes to sit and gather dust....although if that's your bag then there's nowt wrong with that.......i have a couple of OS bikes but always ridden them.

but at the moment it's all about NS and parks and street for me!   :daumenhoch:

jedi

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2008, 11:39 AM »
i live in the now.ride park  :)

JT71

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2008, 11:40 AM »
fook knows.

just like bikes

:LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol:

probably should have seen that coming.

:LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol:

dix

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2008, 11:43 AM »
ive not been a member long here
some off the builds are awsome and fairplay  :4_17_5:

however true bmx is about riding them thats what they are for

the nos thing does my fecking head in tbh  ;D

what ever floats ya boat

it amazes me how some peeps must just like building the bikes i admit its fun but some build them then in no more than a week sell them whats that about
back in the day it could be called nerdy ??

i think you can still have a tidy bike and ride it keep it real 8)

Offline DIRTBIKER250F

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Home sweet home
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2008, 11:51 AM »
Each to their own, i started just to build them. I am now getting right into the History of stuff, so much to learn but that is my bag these days. Not that interested in building complete bikes as prices are to fooking daft.

motomagII

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2008, 11:52 AM »
well i am shite at rding pqark
not very good racing
even crapper some would say at builds

but i love doing all of em
must admit though lately im racing and loving it and havent been to skatepark in about 12 months .niobody near me to ride with though thats probably why

buioldfing bikes is very expensive now although i have the odd one kicking around in garage its not my thing anymore as such
enjoy racing more now

Offline Swivel

• Berm Worm
  • Ah feck it, go on then...
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2008, 11:53 AM »
Dunno really, like show bikes but getting into riding them now after that charity ride. Doing a pub cruiser now actually, just need to meet up with a few of you fookers to get cruising and drinking  :D

jedi

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2008, 11:54 AM »
ridng and beer go hand in hand with eachother<fact>

motomagII

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2008, 11:57 AM »
oh im also fooker for riding everybike i build including rare ones they were meant to be thrashed so there lol

Offline stidds

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2008, 12:32 PM »
To be honest with you NOTHING annoys me more than people critisising others for not riding their bikes.  I do not ride much, but that is because I work very long hours (up to 16 hours a day, 7 days a week) and cannot find the time, what little time I do have off of work is certainly not spent in a skatepark or at the track.  It is spent with my missus/family.

I fully respect (and I am totally jealous) of people that have the time to ride frequently but those that slag us less frequent riders off without knowing peoples circumstances p*ss me off royally.

Ok that is my rant over for the day, carry on..........    :LolLolLolLol:

:rant:
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 12:43 PM by STIDDS »

Bushwacked

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2008, 01:02 PM »
Its down to whatever floats your boat - as long as you are happy - personally I'm loving riding and don't have the cash or time to build bikes up (not that building floats my boat).

Anyway I can only ride one at a time so one (BMX) is all I have.

subversion

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2008, 01:37 PM »
Whilst I do enjoy building & working on bikes (of all styles) Riding BMX bikes with ya mates is the tits for me :daumenhoch:

'All work & no play makes Jack a dull boy' ;)

lodge

« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2008, 01:55 PM »
Its all bmx so do what you wanna do but for me its all about riding on new school bikes, I like looking at and discussing other peoples o/s builds and respect peeps for doing them whether they ride or not, but personally I have no ambition to collect myself I think this is because i rode so many crappy bikes bitd.

I have just taken delivery of a new S&M frame and in my eyes its a thing of beauty.

dannywhiteley

« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2008, 04:09 PM »
I dont ride, never have (apart from down the shops as a kid) and dont intend to start now.

I currently own 3 complete bikes (TA and Streetbeat and a 24" Rebel Cruiser), a part built Rebel Freestyler and the obligatory Aero Reflex frame and forks.  I bought my first just over a year ago (my original Reflex) and have just traded up, sold and bought bits to end up with my current lot.

The two Skyways are hung on my garage wall.  The Rebel Freestyler currently sits on my workbench in bits, and my Reflex hangs from the rafters.

The only bike I may ride again will be the cruiser.  But again, that is only for pleasure (i.e. down the shops).

I guess I am 100% a collector.  Same as collecting mint boxed old Star Wars figures to me (that I did do for many years until recently).  I was never going to open those old toys and play with them, I got my pleasure from obtaining them and displaying them. 

As with the 100% nostalgia of wanting all those toys as a kid and not being able to afford them all.  I now go after the bikes I wanted as a kid and was never able to afford.  Hence Skyways and Rebels.  Loved em then, love em now (but from an aesthetic not practical point of view).

So to sum up, I dont think I fit into any of your options.  I build bikes for my own pleasure, but wouldnt class any of them as 'show bikes' after witnessing the quality on show at MK08.

Thats me, might not fit into everyones model of an old school BMX'er, but I make no apologies and fully enjoy it.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 04:14 PM by dannywhiteley »

M5AT

« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2008, 04:25 PM »
I just like building em & hanging them up at work.

I dont really ride em as I'm fat, fat & lazy.

Offline Swivel

• Berm Worm
  • Ah feck it, go on then...
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2008, 04:29 PM »

Got some lovely bikes though mate  ;)

I just like building em & hanging them up at work.

I dont really ride em as I'm fat, fat & lazy.

mark 2

« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2008, 04:42 PM »
I love the satisfaction of building and restoring bikes, I find it relaxing and enjoy the self indulgence. Liked building as a kid too, loved tinkering and tweaking and riding was everything then, was my life for many years. Was never particularly good  (was alright...) but enjoyed it nonetheless. But I guess I fit into the collector catergory now, tinkering and tweaking again and buying the stuff I wanted as a kid but couldn't afford (sort of still can't!). Part of me wishes I had it in me to get back on a bike and ride again but the confidence isn't there or a group of mates locally to encourage it.  Doesn't matter though, i enjoy what I do. I'm with Stidds, gets on my tits when people slate the collectors. Your allowed to just ignore it if that doesn't float your boat, there's room for everyone. There's nothing negative going on worth slating, just enjoying the heritage and roots of bmx and all hobbies need that.

antiquebmx

« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2008, 05:09 PM »
want to get back more into riding but just getting the time.   Got a baby on way soon aswell so may get harder.  Would like to get a NS bike, may do next summer.

Love collecting but that will have to take a back seat also.  But keeping Haro for now (hopefully)  ;D

Offline Waxintaxin

• Team Owner
  • Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2008, 05:14 PM »
Build OS Bikes , now only SE , although i did build lots of other makes over the years ,sold everything to fund the SE collection

Ride old SE Bikes ,cruising and rolling along . Love it

Did ride NS for a few years , and was slowly progressing ,fell off proper hurt myself and now dont bother   :LolLolLolLol:

Its all BMX , and is all valid as a hobby interest sport whatever . Do what you want I say but enjoy it

Rich

Offline stidds

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2008, 05:14 PM »
I'm with Stidds, gets on my tits when people slate the collectors.

That is because you love me Mark and want some man loving!!!!  :-*  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline QUADROPHENIA

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2008, 05:22 PM »

show ponies

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2008, 05:39 PM »
its all the same to me a bikes a bike
what ever mood im in when i wake up is what i like at the time,

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  What's your bag? Riding? Show builds? or Both?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx