gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 22, 2024, 08:37 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  I need some help!
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: I need some help!  (Read 1129 times)

telelogic

I need some help!
« on: October 19, 2008, 03:58 PM »
Hi,

I'm sure this is going to sound like a stupid question to all you guys who have built a hundred bikes, but really need some help.

Witch is the best way to fit cups for a headset?

My frame is freshly refinished and this is my first build, I'm worried about damaging the frame or the paint job!

the headset is also brand new so hasn't been fitted before.

I've tried making a screw device using an old piece of stud and some washers but it still goes in wonky!

I'd appreciate any help.

rosscoe

Re: I need some help!
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2008, 04:00 PM »
nip down to the local bike shop and get em pressed in, or do it like you used to bitd and get the blocks of wood and hammer out

Offline Flatcap

• Flip-Whip
  • No thank you, Turkish; I'm sweet enough!
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2008, 04:04 PM »
Either a vice but cover the cups with a cloth. Or, two thin pieces of wood, like ply, and use a G Clamp to ease them in slowly. Takes a bit of setting up but you can do both cups at the same time. Or, if it's chrome or an old bike then I just knock them in with a hammer and a piece of wood. G Clamps can be bought from B&Q for as little as a fiver.

I hope that helps dude.

Daz.  :daumenhoch:
Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified in this case by an 'orrible cnut... ME!

Bettyswallocks

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2008, 05:11 PM »

sweetbeats

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2008, 05:12 PM »
Just got mine done at local bike shop £15 for cranks and headset,took about 20mins max ::)

Offline Flatcap

• Flip-Whip
  • No thank you, Turkish; I'm sweet enough!
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2008, 06:12 PM »
Just got mine done at local bike shop £15 for cranks and headset,took about 20mins max ::)

Fook me Jason, next time you want them doing I'll fooking do em if you're willing to give me £15. Pro-rata that's £45 an hour!! Not bad work if you can get it!

Daz.  ;)
Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified in this case by an 'orrible cnut... ME!

sweetbeats

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2008, 06:29 PM »

Fook me Jason, next time you want them doing I'll fooking do em if you're willing to give me £15. Pro-rata that's £45 an hour!! Not bad work if you can get it!

Daz.  ;)

Offline CD17

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2008, 12:54 AM »
What bike are you building  ???

Is it an 85 GT Performer  ???

We all love to see photo on here, brings a thread to life   :daumenhoch:

Guillotte

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2008, 04:17 AM »
A good set for head requires twins. Should you acquire said duo, remove any cup, undergear, or inhibitions....

telelogic

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2008, 02:10 PM »
here she is.

Go on, take a long hard look!

Happy now?

You people make me sick!!! ;D
« Last Edit: October 26, 2008, 02:12 PM by telelogic »

Offline kdw712

• 900 Air
    • kdw712 bmx adventures in old school
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2008, 03:22 PM »
I've tried making a screw device using an old piece of stud and some washers but it still goes in wonky!

just give it a little tap with a mallet or and a hammer against some wood
to straighten it up

or pop to local bike shop
cheers Kev
{ wanted : "Red Haro Handle" brake lever link to my trade post }

telelogic

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2008, 03:39 PM »
for someone of my delicate sensibilities looks like the local bike shop is the way to go.

I'm waiting to get my BB so I can kill two birds with one stone! (been a long time since I used stones to kill birds ;))

cheers all :daumenhoch:

thecrooch

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2008, 03:53 PM »
where you located?

lodge

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2008, 04:00 PM »
for someone of my delicate sensibilities looks like the local bike shop is the way to go.

I'm waiting to get my BB so I can kill two birds with one stone! (been a long time since I used stones to kill birds ;))

cheers all :daumenhoch:

I suspect your very fond of that frame so be careful taking it to a bike shop unless you know what there like, you dont want some young punk thats done a two day course in cycle maintenance and just had a joint butchering it.
I think there's a few people on here with bike shops maybe they could help? :daumenhoch:
I speak from experience.

Offline funkyfresh

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2008, 04:10 PM »
i'm too ham fisted to diy it..tried it once and managed to flake some chrome off the head tube..
local bike shop near me does it well, the owner has been doing bikes all his life. £8 for BB, £5 for headset..little money when you consider how much your build will cost,,,

lodge

« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2008, 05:00 PM »
i'm too ham fisted to diy it..tried it once and managed to flake some chrome off the head tube..
local bike shop near me does it well, the owner has been doing bikes all his life. £8 for BB, £5 for headset..little money when you consider how much your build will cost,,,

Coolio he sounds trustworthy. :daumenhoch:

Offline funkyfresh

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2008, 05:11 PM »
he's in Surrey, FYI

Offline Mattdub

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2008, 05:20 PM »
Go LBS  :daumenhoch:

Always get to know your LBS , they come in handy  ;) .

Offline Spen69

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • It was less than TWELVE parsecs.... .
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2008, 07:19 AM »
Yep, always get to know your LBS, the smaller the better. One day you might catch the owner about to throw out 4 pairs of 25 year old Tange TX1200's in the BAGS he found in his store room to have him accept £20 for them all......... >:D :-[

(I still have three of them, so I don't feel totally guilty)

Blocks of wood, a 3.5lb club hammer and a deep breath has always been my answer to fitting cups by the way :2funny:

Spen
Still limping......

lodge

« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2008, 07:40 AM »
Yep, always get to know your LBS, the smaller the better. One day you might catch the owner about to throw out 4 pairs of 25 year old Tange TX1200's in the BAGS he found in his store room to have him accept £20 for them all......... >:D :-[

(I still have three of them, so I don't feel totally guilty)

Blocks of wood, a 3.5lb club hammer and a deep breath has always been my answer to fitting cups by the way :2funny:

Spen

Thats a classic, bet the shop owner thought he'd done well.  ;D

A local shop round here had nippon calipers in the window form approx 86 they were still there a couple of years ago mmmm might have to pop by some time.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  I need some help!

gfxgfx
gfx gfx