gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 23, 2024, 08:23 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  titan 24inch found but need info
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: titan 24inch found but need info  (Read 1951 times)

Offline DoubleD

• Cherry Picker
  • From Holland
  • Rated:
titan 24inch found but need info
« on: October 13, 2008, 06:38 AM »
does anyone have more info on this 24 inch titan ??
how whas it original delivered
what parts where on it ?
and from what year where they made

i have this bike in the house next saturday more pics to come

Offline Mattdub

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
Re: titan 24inch found but need info
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008, 08:58 AM »
I stand corrected but not sure there were ever any production type complete builds from Titan , all custom builds I think .

So F+F supply then spec/buy parts how you want it  ;)

Nikki ( Mrs Ratty ) may have info ref years , do a t'internet search & there should be some history here and there .

moomin

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2008, 04:24 PM »
I've dug this out from BMX Museum...

few things up about the posted history of Titan.  Burt Foreman approached Bob Furry and Scott Furry at the 1984 ABA Grand Nationals, Burt wanted Scott to race a Titan frame.  Bob would spend the entire night stripping the Patterson Scott was riding to build his new Titan.  Scott didn't have much luck with his new bike, he didn't like how it rode.  Bob and Scott returned home to Colorado.  Couple months past, and Burt contacted Bob again, he had made some suggested changes to the Titan and asked Bob and Scott to meet him in Las Vegas for a preseason race.  Scott loved the new Titan, and liked the mini cruiser even better.

In early 1985 Bob and Scott started the the national season in Reno, NV at the Silver Dollar nationals.  Scott took 2nd in the 12 Crusier class, and Burt Foreman offered Scott a full factory sponsorship.  Scott joined Jason Allison, Ricky Pozzey, Burt Foreman's son and others to make up the first Titan Factory team.  Bob and Scott hit every ABA national that year, Scott doubled at 7 national events, won the Gold Cup and in November was crowned National #1 in 12 Cruise and National #6 overall, on his 20" he was National #2 in 12 Expert second only to Brent Romero, who was the National #1 Amatuer that year. 

In 1986 Bob Furry bought Titan and as the owner of Titan Inc., moved his family and the company to Eugene, OR.  Titan continued to make titanium frames, Bob experimented new titanium tubing he would get from Sandvik, and welded one of the first 3/2.5 seamless titanium BMX frames.  Titan also started full production of their Cro-Mo frames for the older riders.  Using the same ideas that made the mini frames so hot, the loop rear end that was shorter for quick starts and acceleration out of corners, the struts from the BB past the seat tube to the top tube for added stabilty and to minimize frame flex.

In 1987 Titan built their first mountain bike, the 1/2 Trac, a dual elevated chain stay frame made from True Temper tubing.  With the success of the 1/2 Trac, Titan turned it's efforts to making what they new best, titanium.  In 1989 Titan built it first titanium mountain bike frame.

In 1991 when Titan merged with the S.L. Liu's bicycle company the end of an era was drawing to a close.  In 1992, due to undisclosed differences about how the company should be ran and the direction it should pursue, Bob Furry resigned as President of Titan's Racing Division.  Scott would take over as President for a short time, until S.L moved the entire company to Yorba Linda, CA.  Scott would resign from Titan at the end of 1992.

Titan crafted many, many customized bikes for kids all over the world.  In 1986 Michelle Gibson's 2 year old brother had one of the smallest, while Jared Krisiloff had one of the lightest, it weighed less than 6lb. for a complete, race ready bike, it was also one of the most valuable due to all the handcrafted titanium parts.  It's estimated value was over $15,000.

I'm not sure who posted the original history, but I felt that if the story was going to be told it should be told correctly.  Many years have past since Titan, and I apologize if I have left out the rider's names that made up the original team, but you all know who you are!! Unfortunately, I have never heard or met Jason Kraig, the photo of him taken in 1985 was not taken in 1985, it had to be taken much later, because in 1985 the team wore Monarch helmets, not Ecko.  Furthermore, the leathers he is wearing in many pictures are co-factory leathers, that is why they are colored differently.  If you are going to tell a story be sure to tell it correctly.

PS - I was fast!!

SCOTT FURRY

Here's the Titanium Junior Cruiser, have been trying to sell but will now complete a resto on

And the Titanium Jnr 20" again not sold so i'll complete the resto

It really depends on whether your is the Pro size or Junior size of cruiser as to how you do it up.......

Junior size would have been

TNT/MCS stem
Powerlite powerbend Bars
TA Cranks/chainring or Bullseye Cranks
Hutch Beartrap Pedals
24 x 1/18th or 1 3/8 th rims, probably sun mistral, laced with TNT/Bullseye/GT Hubs
Uni Mini seat
Weiman break

Pro size would have been

TNT/MCS stem
Powerbend Bars
Redline Flight cranks/chain ring/bullseye cranks
Hutch Beartrap pedals
Pro size seat (maybe think or a redline flight with Ti rails ( mine also had a shimano DX seat post)
Pitbull brake

If you're going to use this as a rider then make sure you dont have a titanium model as these carried a strict weight limit for good reason :shocked:

If you have a pro cruiser you can go various colourways, the earliest was red frame/chrome fork, the later models came in hammerite (as per my grey hammerite junior) these were available in grey, green, blue and red

These were imported by Geoff and Cynthia Murray who ran the Titan UK team.  At times the UK team hosted stars such as Stephen and Martin Murray, Lisa Wright, Jamie Staff, Dylan Clayton, NEI Wood.

They were THE team to be on for a LOOOONG time.

It was following the demise detailed above that the UK team was disbanded, the then riders split between 2 teams of new products being imported by Geoff and Cynthia, these being Cyclecrafy and UGP.

I could go on and on, i've probably bored you now, but if any more info is required i have sent a pm, feel free to contact me :daumenhoch:

P.S I have opriginal pad set if you need art work for repro's :daumenhoch:

Below is one we brought, have sold on but hope to get back when finances are better

Offline DoubleD

• Cherry Picker
  • From Holland
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2008, 06:03 PM »
wow   this is more then i expected
bigthanks to  Mrs ratty

gonna pick it up saturday ,i will post more pics and info on it

moomin

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2008, 06:13 PM »
No problems, i'd be really interested to see more of it and your plans for restoration etc.......

Interested to know why a Titan, quite a small group of us collect, as yet no pro cruisers have turned up that i know of??????

Offline DoubleD

• Cherry Picker
  • From Holland
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2008, 06:25 PM »
saw some titans earlyer  and iam charmed by them
never seen a pro crusier also , iam exited that i found a cruiser  but if its a pro ? i dont know
i hope saturday  i will have more info on the bike   and the identification

moomin

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2008, 07:11 PM »
No problems, the only cruiser i saw come up was with eskilsden (from Norway who had a strong Titan team) so your find is V interesting :smitten:

moomin

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2008, 09:00 AM »
Flash of brilliance, you could also use a DK stem :daumenhoch:

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2008, 04:54 AM »
Flash of brilliance, you could also use a DK stem :daumenhoch:

Or an inverted Profile stem with script font "Profile" engraving  :daumenhoch:

Better to crash and burn than fade away

moomin

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2008, 12:27 AM »
It's Saturday, need Pics :smitten: :smitten:

Offline DoubleD

• Cherry Picker
  • From Holland
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2008, 04:25 PM »
tomorow i gonna pick it up  something important came between me and the appointment
sorry mrs ratty    gotta  wait another 20 hours or so for pics :LolLolLolLol:

Offline DoubleD

• Cherry Picker
  • From Holland
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2008, 11:46 AM »
ok here they finaly are  :LolLolLolLol:

wheels are weinmann 24x1.75

brake bridge whit diacompe bulldog brake

powerlite bar

what brand are these hubs ?

Kuwahara powerdisc :P

is there a serial somewhere on the frame , and how can i determine  what type cruiser it is ?
« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 11:47 AM by Dannyd »

motomagII

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2008, 12:50 PM »
could be wrong bur hubs look like gt or tnt  both made hubs with the shaped middle
will probably be proved wrong though lol

magna13

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2008, 01:22 PM »
i would have said TNT or GT?

moomin

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2008, 04:05 PM »
Dont think they're GT, the lines were much closer together on them  ???

Nice find tho, strip it back and that could be a great resto :daumenhoch:

It does look like an early model as later on the brake mount must have changed to what most of mine are, also the sticker on the bars is a fairly early one, also the fact that it has an MX lever says it's an early or was at least a pre 1990 build as later on pit bull's with Dia Compe levers were used  :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  titan 24inch found but need info

gfxgfx
gfx gfx