gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975758 Posts in 138934 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 27, 2024, 12:23 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  Showing off again. A day with Rick Twomey
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Showing off again. A day with Rick Twomey  (Read 1640 times)

Offline reilley1

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
Showing off again. A day with Rick Twomey
« on: January 22, 2006, 11:54 AM »
Spent most of the day hanging out with Rick Twomey.  Some of you guys might know him as the creator of the infamous Rick's Bike Shop BMX team--one of the first organized teams in BMX--with a who's who of early BMX stars which  included BMX legends Thom Lund, John Palfryman, and Marvin Church, David Clinton, Doug Takahashi and Bobby Encinas among others.  Those of you who have seen Joe Kid will recognize him.

Rick has an amazing memory and remebers a lot of stuff.  He also can back up his claims with the most incredible collection of BMX history such as pictures and the ER frame which was shown in Joe Kid

I got there a bit late so I didn;t get to check out all of his stuff, but what I did see left me smiling. Lots of trick stuff, including the original hand drawn layout for the motomag decal:

and also the decal for the original BMX products manufacturer.  Before Mongoose started making their own product:

More later, just wanted to show off...:)

Offline dordymush

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
Re: Showing off again. A day with Rick Twomey
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2006, 12:12 PM »
lol you old show off you.

keep em coming  :daumenhoch:.
dave the bmxing gypo

Offline jT Racing

• BMX Overlord
  • i like bikes. :/
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2006, 03:14 PM »
I see you got the rad shirt on. still have not see joe kid yet though.

john
ding dong

Offline kdw712

• 900 Air
    • kdw712 bmx adventures in old school
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2006, 03:37 PM »
you lucky bugger !  :LolLolLolLol:
cheers Kev
{ wanted : "Red Haro Handle" brake lever link to my trade post }

retrogeezer

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2006, 03:52 PM »
Cool pics again....great to see stuff like that...keep em coming.

Offline Rombloke

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • do one
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2006, 04:14 PM »
digging the tee shirt next to the guy who started the infamous bike team

Dave
haro, how do you do

daz bmx it!

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2006, 05:37 PM »
Cool :coolsmiley:

Offline reilley1

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2006, 05:39 PM »
Rick also blew up the myth that there was no such thing as "Rick's Bike Shop" While it might not have been your typical shop, it was a legitimate business selling products to some of the well known shops, teams and racers of the of the past.

I had to take a picture of this box, Rick just looked at me probably thinking "Why the hell do you want a picture of an empty box?"

and some triiiick bags!!!

Rick kept the stories coming about "the boys" including one about riding the "Paul Revere" pool.  That story in itself was worth the drive.  I was dying.

Patti Twomey too, joined in the stories and made a great dinner.  Great lady, she made my day when she said she remembered me back in the day going talking to JP and the other boys.  She said that I was" a skinny little kid"  hat's me!!

I know that the UK crew is bit removed form this, but Rick Twomey is an ornery man, he always has been, so that might explain his absence into the Hall Of Fame; but he has paid his dues and made great contributions to the early days of BMX.  I believe we need to push the powers-to-be into finally getting him into the Hall Of Fame along with the rest of the pioneers of  BMX.  I believe if we write the ABA (from anywhere in the world) , we can make it happen

Thanks Rick for the goodies, like I said, I went up there to hear the stories, share some of the info you have, so the shirt was a bonus.  Thanks Patti, for dinner and thanks to both of you for a great day.

Bren Gunn

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2006, 09:24 PM »
Man, you get some class pictures...  Racer's Eng...  Motomag box and decals...  fantastic :daumenhoch:

Offline reilley1

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2006, 10:34 PM »
He's a good man.  Anyone interested on his site can click rbsteam.com  Work in progress, but worth taking a look
Rick and Patti liked the UKBMX shirt.  I gather that team rider John Palfryman's father was an English sidehack motorcycle racer back in the day.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2006, 10:36 PM by reilley1 »

theRuler

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2006, 09:32 AM »
great pics rick
next time i am in the US i will pop round to yours and spend a few days going through your photo albums

rick twomey is a bit of santa claus lookalike and i bet it was christmas come early for you!!!

the original motomag sticker draft? heat . . .

TEAMRICK

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2006, 01:55 AM »
 :tickedoff:
HEY " THERULER "
DON'T GIVE IT AWAY. I'M ONLY SANTA IN DECEMBER. THE REST OF THE YEAR I'M JUST RICK. DON'T NEED ALL THE LITTLE RUG RATS (BLOODY LIL BUGGERS) BUGGIN ME ALL YEAR LONG. YOU BETTER BE NICE TO ME OR I'LL FILL YOUR SOCK WITH COAL.
O.K. ALL YOU GUYS AND GALS.. GATHER ROUND AND I'LL TELL YOU THE STORY ABOUT MY FUNNIST SCORE. GET REAL CLOSE TO YOUR MONITOR SCREEN,....................REACH OUT AND TOUCH
THE MONITOR SCREEN......................NOW GO GET SOMETHING TO WIPE YOUR FINGER PRINT OFF THE SCREEN.......................................
NOW THAT YOUR COMPUTOR SCREEN IS CLEAN GO TO MY WEB SITE     RBSTEAM.COM     AND READ MY STORY !
DON'T FORGET TO SIGN IN ITS FREE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!    YES................... YES FREE ! AS IN NO CHARGE........ZIP........NADA.........ZILCH.............. 

Offline ORB

• Founding Fathers
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2006, 12:15 AM »
Result Mr R!!

Good work sir!!!

Never stopping with the top banana pictures.

We love you here dude, keep em coming.

Thanks mate!

Lazarou

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2006, 08:08 AM »
:tickedoff:
HEY " THERULER "
DON'T GIVE IT AWAY. I'M ONLY SANTA IN DECEMBER. THE REST OF THE YEAR I'M JUST RICK. DON'T NEED ALL THE LITTLE RUG RATS (BLOODY LIL BUGGERS) BUGGIN ME ALL YEAR LONG. YOU BETTER BE NICE TO ME OR I'LL FILL YOUR SOCK WITH COAL.
O.K. ALL YOU GUYS AND GALS.. GATHER ROUND AND I'LL TELL YOU THE STORY ABOUT MY FUNNIST SCORE. GET REAL CLOSE TO YOUR MONITOR SCREEN,....................REACH OUT AND TOUCH
THE MONITOR SCREEN......................NOW GO GET SOMETHING TO WIPE YOUR FINGER PRINT OFF THE SCREEN.......................................
NOW THAT YOUR COMPUTOR SCREEN IS CLEAN GO TO MY WEB SITE     RBSTEAM.COM     AND READ MY STORY !
DON'T FORGET TO SIGN IN ITS FREE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!    YES................... YES FREE ! AS IN NO CHARGE........ZIP........NADA.........ZILCH.............. 

....I guess thats what ornery means! Rick's cool!

Offline Waxintaxin

• Team Owner
  • Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2006, 01:54 PM »
Yea man I saw that and thought ,  another yank with a sense of humour on site . And then i thought crikey thats 2 more than on V ;D

Glad to have ya Rick and as Apoo constantly reminds us

" Thank you, Come again "

Rich :)

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  Showing off again. A day with Rick Twomey

gfxgfx
gfx gfx